New Indiana Jones Game Has A Hidden Treasure

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New Indiana Jones Game Has A Hidden Treasure

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis [http://www.lucasarts.com/games/indianajones/]?

The Staff of Kings follows Dr. Jones as he goes on another globetrotting adventure in search of another biblical artifact, the Staff of Moses. The Wii version sports motion controls for Indy's whip, which should come in handy when dealing with baddies in the game's "completely interactive environments, where players need to call upon their wits and daring to mach each spring-loaded environment a weapon," or at least LucasArts says [http://www.lucasarts.com/games/indianajones/gameinfo/news/summary.html] so. The game sounds like an Indiana's greatest hits in videogame form, with "thrilling action sequences that remain true to the spirit established in the series" that emulate some of the most famous scenes from the flicks, like the mine-cart scene in The Temple of Doom.

The real treat for all the nostalgic old-timers, though, is an unlockable version of the classic SCUMM [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCUMM]-powered LucasArts adventure game, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. The Fate of Atlantis was originally released in 1992 and featured some top-notch (at the time) production values and a three-pronged approach to plot in which the player has to choose between three different paths for the game's plot, each with different gameplay styles.

The new info posted on the Staff of Kings site doesn't go into details about how exactly to unlock The Fate of Atlantis, but it's probably safe to assume it involves actually playing the main game. Which might mean that you'll be paying 50 bucks to play a 17-year-old game on a modern system. Still, if you want a legal way to play a classic that doesn't involve messing around with ScummVM [http://www.dosbox.com/news.php?show_news=1/]), here's your ticket.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
is the adventure game included for when you realize that the motion controlled whip and the rest of the game is utterly broken and/or unplayable...?

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
is the adventure game included for when you realize that the motion controlled whip and the rest of the game is utterly broken and/or unplayable...?
Probably. I have fond memories of playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as a child.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Brokkr said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Probably. I have fond memories of playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis as a child.
yeah, me too.... 'twas a solid adventure game...

Aperama

Oct 19, 2008
I somehow feel I have to interject, here.

ScummVM. DOSBox wouldn't run it any way near as well as the replacement engine that's been developed for all of that stuff - including, of course, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and other such faves - and doesn't (you can, however unfortunately, take my word for that one.) It really is quite easy to get running once you actually have a CD/ISO.

I don't own a Wii either way, though, so I can't say it effects me too much on a personal level.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Brokkr said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Me too! I LOVED that game! Oh Man...Indy is so awesome.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Hmm... part of me's thinking that the main game's gonna be awful; but I would love to play a voice-acted version of FoA...
I wonder whether they're going to update the graphics / add extra content, etc.?

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Aperama said:

ScummVM. DOSBox wouldn't run it any way near as well as the replacement engine that's been developed for all of that stuff - including, of course, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and other such faves - and doesn't (you can, however unfortunately, take my word for that one.) It really is quite easy to get running once you actually have a CD/ISO.

I don't own a Wii either way, though, so I can't say it effects me too much on a personal level.
I second this. ScummVM is the best thing for running those old graphical adventure games, and it's free and cross-platform too. You can play this (along with Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, etc.) on your Linux box.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
I will buy it for Fate of Atlantis. They need to do this with more games. In fact, they should just release all of the classic SCUMM games on one disc, remastered for Wii. Maniac Mansion, Zak MacKracken, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, etc... They all would run great on the Wii with the wiimote controls.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Aperama said:

Oooh, duly noted and I'll update the post with a mention of this.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Here I was hoping it included an edited version of Crystal Skull without that absurd monkey scene and making the skull a magical/religious artifact rather than aliens - you know, the version that was better than average.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
ima420r said:
I will buy it for Fate of Atlantis. They need to do this with more games. In fact, they should just release all of the classic SCUMM games on one disc, remastered for Wii. Maniac Mansion, Zak MacKracken, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island, etc... They all would run great on the Wii with the wiimote controls.
why not just license the titles to the Wii's online distribution network....? (the actual name escapes me at the moment)

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
I really wanted to enjoy that game, but seeing as I got it when I was 10, I couldn't figure out how to get across the first pit because of the damn snake. Oh well.

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
Brokkr said:
Yog Sothoth said:
i still have it :D

i still love and play that game :) its my favorite child-hood game, i'll have to buy this just to be able to play it again :D

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Seems they are just trying to pack in a less flashy yet better game so you don't have to play the main one.

Anyway I hope it makes Lucasarts think of releasing different games instead of just Star Wars ones but that will NEVER happen.

Monkey Island is gone forever....