Red Dead Revolver Finds Redemption This Fall

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Red Dead Revolver Finds Redemption This Fall

Wild West shooter [http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/] is coming this fall, Rockstar announced today. There will be blood. There will also be revolvers, dead people, and redemption.

There are not nearly enough cowboys in videogames. We're up to our necks in space marines, ninjas and space marine ninjas, but, as A Fistful of Frags [http://music.aol.com/video/where-have-all-the-cowboys-gone/paula-cole/1374163]
, but still there aren't nearly enough lone riders in the gaming landscape.

Now it's looking like there's going to be a second wave of Wild West videogames. Call of Juarez is getting a sequel [http://callofjuarez.us.ubi.com/agegate.php?destURL=/?__utma=1.3927645698706401000.1233774710.1233774710.1233774710.1&__utmb=1.2.10.1233774710&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1233774710.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=call%20of%20juarez&__utmv=-&__utmk=91339418], and, Rockstar announced today, Red Dead Revolver is getting one too. Titled Red Dead Redemption and developed by Rockstar San Diego, it's scheduled for release this fall for the PS3 and 360.

The first Red Dead Revolver had some good ideas and a perfect Sergio Leone [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001466/] atmosphere but it didn't really blow anyone away. It was really just a solid cowboy shooter with Max Payne bullet time and some skillful presentation. With Redemption, Rockstar looks to be widening the scale of the franchise by a huge margin with an open-world environment filled with "an endless flow of varied distractions." Set at turn of the 20th century as the Wild West declines, it casts players in the role of former outlaw John Marston.

"The team at San Diego have massively exceeded our expectations with the sheer depth of experiences in Red Dead Redemption," Rockstar founder Sam Houser said. "The seamless combination of breathtaking beauty and intense action, all woven together with strong plotlines in a massive vibrant, rural environment is mind-blowing. We think this game helps to push the limits of what an open-world gaming experience can be."

Let's just hope it's not just Grand Theft Auto IV with a Wild West skin slapped on. I can see it now: I'll be riding around town when a man runs up to me and hands me a telegram: "GOOD DAY CAHZIN STOP LET US RIDE TO THE BURLESQUE STOP WE WILL DRINK DOWN SASPARILLA STOP AND ENJOY THE WILD AMERICAN TITTIES STOP."

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
BHAHAHA, "Wild American Titties". Seriously though I do wonder if Red Dead Redemption will actually be good.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
BHAHAHA, "Wild American Titties". Seriously though I do wonder if Red Dead Redemption will actually be good.
I hope it is...an open-world Wild West game has always been a dream game of mine.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Can't wait. Red Dead was a good game, it had some flaws, but I loved it so much. western is a genre that has fallen out of favour in the past few decades (Wild Wild West anyone?) and it needs a Pirates of the Caribbean style film or game (not the Pirates of the Caribbean game though) to revive it.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Sweet! I have been waiting for this sequal since '05. "Gun" was an okay subsitute, but I need the real deal.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Hooray, I loved the original red dead.
It was a good game, shame I sucked at it, got stuck on a level were you had to destroy cannons, still am...

Anyway, its a shame there isn't a sequel to GUN, as that in my opinion was a better game (except maybe the ending...), but was nevertheless a good solid cowboy game, especially the Wanted Posters side quests, this new incarnation of Dead should involve some of them I think, by making the whole game a free roamer.