Get Your Very Own Batarang With the Arkham Asylum CE

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Get Your Very Own Batarang With the Arkham Asylum CE

The Batman: Arkham Asylum [http://www.batmanarkhamasylum.com/] Collector's Edition is going to cost 100 bucks when it hits the shelves in June but word on the street is there'll be something in the box that might just make it worthwhile: A real-life Batarang.

That's right: According to rumors, the Collector's Edition of the upcoming Batman game from DC [http://www.eidos.com] "Custom Encyclopedia," the first DLC pack for the game, the obligatory "behind the scenes" bonus DVD and a soundtrack disc. But let's face it, there's only one reason you're thinking about laying down a C-note for this thing: A goddamn Batarang.

to be determined [http://kotaku.com/5169835/batman-arkham-asylum-collectors-edition-has-a-batarang-bruce-wayne-budget-price]." The price is confirmed, however, and for 100 bucks there better be something special in the box. And since official Batman Codpieces would be murder to ship, Batarangs are a solid second choice.

The only collector's edition I ever forked out 100 bucks for was Half-Life 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-2-Collectors-Pc/dp/B0002X7Y2C], a purchase which left me decidedly wary about future purchases of $100 videogames. Games need both huge levels of anticipation and demand and a pile of really cool bonus stuff in the box to justify triple-digit price tags. It sounds like Arkham Asylum has the latter nailed, but how will it fare with the former?

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
You too can finally be the goddamned Batman with your very own Batarang! It slices! It dices! It impresses your girlfriend!

Buy one today!

PayNSprayBandit

Dec 27, 2008
It was GTA4 that taught me my lesson about Collector's Editions. With this one my biggest question is about the quality of the Batarang.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
PayNSprayBandit said:
It was GTA4 that taught me my lesson about Collector's Editions. With this one my biggest question is about the quality of the Batarang.
This, though I will be watching the quality of the game more... If it's good on both counts, I'll grab this.

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
On one hand collectors' editions rarely pay off

on the other hand-IT'S A G0D-DAMN BATARANG

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
What worries me is it will just be a chunk of cheap plastic. And it won't come back when I throw it.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
squid5580 said:
What worries me is it will just be a chunk of cheap plastic.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking is gonna end up happening. The only collector's edition of anything that I was fairly happy with what I got was the World In Conflict CE that had a chunk of the Berlin Wall in it. I thought that was pretty damn neat.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
squid5580 said:
What worries me is it will just be a chunk of cheap plastic. And it won't come back when I throw it.
If it was made out of metal, it could fall into the same (grey) legal classification as shurikens and throwing knives.

That may cause problems in countries where you have to be 18+ to buy such weapons, or where they're banned outright.

What's the age rating of the game, and has there ever been a precedent of a collectors edition having a higher age rating than the standard game due to the bonus content in the box?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Jamash said:
squid5580 said:
If it was made out of metal, it could fall into the same (grey) legal classification as shurikens and throwing knives.

That may cause problems in countries where you have to be 18+ to buy such weapons, or where they're banned outright.

What's the age rating of the game, and has there ever been a precedent of a collectors edition having a higher age rating than the standard game due to the bonus content in the box?
I'm still putting my money on the nutjob who pulls out the batarang and throws it an employee or tries to hold up the store with it...

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
If it is real, of good quality, and released in the UK I will get this faster than you can say "Want to see a magic trick?"

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Jamash said:
squid5580 said:

Let's not forget that giving a weapon away with a game is just handing the "Video Games cause violence!" criers a winning argument on a silver platter.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Jamash said:
squid5580 said:
Let's not forget that giving a weapon away with a game is just handing the "Video Games cause violence!" criers a winning argument on a silver platter.
Yeah, I can imagine some mother buying the collectors edition for their young child, who then throws the Batarang at their baby sibling, poking their eye out.

Video games cause infanticide and blind babies!

This promotion could end up being as good for the video games industry as giving away a white hood with the collectors edition of Resident Evil 5.

I'd like to say I have more faith in young kids and gamers being given pointy metal throwing objects, but that would be a lie.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
I think it's unrealistic to expect the batarang to be anything but a plastic (maybe fiberglass) replica. If it was a museum-quality piece we were talking about--an actual crime-fighting tool--it would both cost much more and cause some aforementioned legal hurdles. I'm just impressed that it will be (supposedly) 12 inches long: that right there is better than your standard "collector's item" thrown in with games and DVDs.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
God-fucking-damnit!
I just bought this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93130-Updated-Modern-Warfare-2s-Ridiculous-Prestige-Edition], and now you tell me I can get a Batarang?
Man my wallet hates me this month.

P.S. Maly I love how you used the old-school Batman.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Limos said:
You too can finally be the goddamned Batman with your very own Batarang! It slices! It dices! It impresses your girlfriend!

Buy one today!
Who would own a batarang that has a girlfriend? Zing!

Honestly that is pretty awesome, but I'll have to wait for this to come out to make my final judgement on this.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Okay let me get this straight.

I get a Batarang: AKA Sharp edged projectile weapon with Arkham Asylum CE.
I get a pair of Night Vision Goggles with COD:MW2 CE.
Theres the [a href= "http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93269-To-The-Bat-Cycle"]Batman leather bike gear[/a], which is essentially a Batsuit

You may as well stop beating around the bush and admit it:
The Escapist is trying to coerce us into fighting crime.

Its obvious.
[small]And will hopefully stand up in a court of law when I am tried for being a vigilante.[/small]

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Now we can all defend our cities the world no longer needs police for we are the batmen!

We should start the organization early and reserve the name