New Eve Online "Learner Pack"

Feb 13, 2008
New Eve Online "Learner Pack"

Atari has confirmed that the box copy of EVE Online [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVE_Online] due for release next month will come with a few exclusive perks.

While Eve Online may be one of the stellar lights of the MMO community, it can have a bit of a steep learning curve.

You wouldn't step out of Neriak [http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Neriak,_City_of_Hate] into the Plane of Fear [http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zone.html?zstrat=51] on Everquest, or take a train from Atlas Park [http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Atlas_Park] into The Hive [http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hive] in City of Heroes, but your very first launch in Eve can get you podded by a Battlecruiser.

To this end, the new boxed edition of Eve has a few features for your learner pilot. 60 days of paid game time is a start, a faction boost (so that people are more likely to deal with you), a career guide, and an exclusive in game ship.

The "career guide" is there to help clarify what kind of roles are available in the game and offer goals to achieve and valuable advice on making your way in Eve's intimidating world. It's not clear if this will be an in-game tool or a book.

But you want to know about the ship, don't you? Well, it's nothing ground breaking, being a small scout, but it's faster and has more cargo space than the normal scout.

The faction boost also allows you to take part in the factional warfare introduced in last year's Empyrean Age expansion without the need for faction grinding. And anything that alleviates grinding is always a good thing.

In addition to the 60 days of game time, purchasers will be able to extend a "VIP pass" to friends, offering an extended free trial to the friend and an additional 30 days to the player if the friend subscribes.

The retail version also comes with all the latest expansions, including "Apocrypha", due out on March 10th. Apocrypha seeks to add unexplored space, modular ship designs, a reworked new-player experience and more.

Sounds like a bargain.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eve-online-box-copy-perks-confirmed]

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
While usually I would be pissed off about the idea that they MAY be getting a new ship with the boxed copy (which, btw, has been repeatedly denied by CCP, right up until this morning at the very least) I remember that enough people will buy this copy for the ship to be on the market pretty quickly. I'll just buy it off them.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Theo Samaritan said:
While usually I would be pissed off about the idea that they MAY be getting a new ship with the boxed copy (which, btw, has been repeatedly denied by CCP, right up until this morning at the very least) I remember that enough people will buy this copy for the ship to be on the market pretty quickly. I'll just buy it off them.
lol i'll sell it to ya! just dont try to rip off this poor unsuspecting noob

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
uppitycracker said:
Theo Samaritan said:
I'm more likely to give you ten times what its worth, than half of what it should be.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Theo Samaritan said:
uppitycracker said:
Theo Samaritan said:
I'm more likely to give you ten times what its worth, than half of what it should be.
pm me yer in game name sometime before march 10th then hehe.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Asehujiko said:
So they are handing out "shoot me, i'm new and can't defend myself" signs now?
Yes, effectively. Personally for me it means I have an easier job singling out who needs help with things and who doesn't.
uppitycracker said:
pm me yer in game name sometime before march 10th then hehe.
You're looking at it!

Feb 13, 2008
Theo Samaritan said:
(which, btw, has been repeatedly denied by CCP, right up until this morning at the very least)
But has been confirmed by Atari. There's a lot of missing information, but if you can pass me on any details you get, I'll be glad to update :)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
So, from what I understand, Eve's community is made up of bloodthirsty corporate spies. Doesn't this mean those poor newbs are doomed?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I hear so many bad things about that game, IE the politics, backstabbing, and utter douchbagery that goes on I don't think I ever even want to pick it up since its been out for so long.

noileum

Feb 5, 2009
well tbh honest anything that lessens the barrier to entry of EvE can only be a good think imho

Zildjin81

Feb 7, 2009
When everyone first joins EVE they get their ass kicked, it's part of the experience. EVE only hurts us because it loves us.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Jesus Christ, if so many of you have these trepidations on how everything will be shit hitting the hyperdrive as soon as you warp to your first station, you're sorely mistaken. You don't go running into low-sector (free-range) space in a frigate without the intentions of either getting killed, or not wanting to be killed but not risking something larger/slower/more valuable. Yes, out on your lonesome is a very small and un-enjoyable portion of the game, but everyone starts in the warm, clear shallows before the head-first dive in the waste of a society in conflict. Of course, the dive has always been optional in its entirety, and I myself never went into free-shots zones without my fully-armed, fully-operational battlecruiser or a inexpensive, fleet-of-foot "noob ship".

And, mind you, my Myrmidon was at a month of saving and training in the works before I had deemed it viable for most solo combat, and even then I wouldn't dare go into 0.0 with the knowledge that nine times out of ten I'd get the shit blown out of me as soon as the screen loaded.

So I live, learn, and plan ahead. It isn't this inescapable black storm on the horizon, always coming closer; however, I can't argue it isn't grindtastic. It is, horribly so. I've spent at least 36 hours of play time just mining Dense Veldspar and warping back to whatever facility I've chosen, but it certainly gets better.

Edit : I also learned to insure. Have fun in low-sec, kiddies, but if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Noseman26

Feb 9, 2009
Anything that gets more people into the game, the better. Eve is a good game, but the only problem is the steep curve. If CCP can do something to alleviate the problem, then good for them.

Plus, the new ship cant be that great, and they will still have to grind eventually. It probably won't help the "noobs" in the long term.

Feb 13, 2008
Theo Samaritan said:
Confirmed today Theo: http://www.gamezone.com/news/02_24_09_01_09PM.htm