Russian Inventor Creates Personal Submarine

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Russian Inventor Creates Personal Submarine

Oppressive regimes are a regular feature in videogames, but few of us know what is actually like to live in one. Inventor Mikhail Puchkov sought to escape the drudgery of Soviet Russia, by taking to the waves, both above and below them.

Puchkov began work on his one man submersible in the early 80s during the tenure of Leonid Brezhnev, as a means if escaping the stifling Communist regime, if only for a little while. Puchkov said of the project, "I was not satisfied with the fate that was laid out for me. I wanted to satisfy myself and to have some respect for my life. If I learned to respect myself, I felt it would be easier to find my niche in life. I didn't know it would work. I just hoped."

Puchkov's sub can sail 100 miles a day and submerge to 30 feet. The sub can travel as fast as four knots and can make an underwater trip from St. Petersburg to Helsinki, Finland and back without stops. Puchkov worked in secret in the dead of night and after ten years of trials and refinement, took to the open seas in 1994, making a secret trip to Kronshtadt, a closed military base in the Gulf of Finland. His drive and creative vision have made Puchkov something of a minor celebrity in his home of St. Petersburg, so much so that Aleksandr Kiselev, a Russian documentary filmmaker, is in the process of making a short movie about his life and inventions.

The success of Puchkov's submarine is a testament to what you can achieve with a little ingenuity, and a lot of determination.

Source: Inventor Spot [http://inventorspot.com/articles/smallest_russian_submarine_officially_registered_boat_23196] via Boing Boing [http://www.boingboing.net/2009/02/07/homemade-sovietera-r.html]

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
Theo Samaritan said:
That WoW Player said:
WANT! i wonder how much he would sell it for?
Probably nothing, it was his lifes work for a while. He probably won't sell it on his deathbead.
Fine, just steal when he's dead, easy as that.
good luck finding it, he'll probably make his deathbed in that thing and submerge underwater. He could be anywhere between St. petesburg an Helsinki lol

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Pebsy said:
fluffylandmine said:
Theo Samaritan said:
That WoW Player said:
Probably nothing, it was his lifes work for a while. He probably won't sell it on his deathbead.
good luck finding it, he'll probably make his deathbed in that thing and submerge underwater. He could be anywhere between St. petesburg an Helsinki lol
Treasure hunt/road(plane or boat really)trip anyone?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I came in hoping it would be yellow so I could make Beatles Refs

I leave rejected and cold.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
if i had one i would be scared shitless to use it.. im VERY scared of the open sea, and water in general

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
Pebsy said:
fluffylandmine said:
Theo Samaritan said:
That WoW Player said:
we could get a bunch of ninjas to help us, just called the ninja hotline 1-800-ninjasforhire

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
fluffylandmine said:
Pebsy said:
fluffylandmine said:
Theo Samaritan said:
That WoW Player said:
As long as it doesn't include being shot at from every single race on the planet and mountian climbing i'm good... I'm no Nathan Drake. Sadly.

Jul 9, 2008
Wait, we're having a newsroom report on a story that's a decade old? I know you guys are sometimes slow, but come on!

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Wow.

Just wow.

Just another thing that makes me feel inadequate.
Yup. That's pretty cool, imagine a fleet of those. Would be fun to invade a country with my mini sub army...still, pretty cool.

Edit:

Khell_Sennet said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
Khell_Sennet said:
What kind of weapon loadouts does it have?
A robot hand that can slap the fishes.
AWESOME!
Underwater...fish...pimphand???? COOLEST THING EVER (since the Steampunk lamp).