Blockbuster Testing Online Game Rentals

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Blockbuster Testing Online Game Rentals

Netflix [http://www.blockbuster.com/] probably won't lose any sleep over.

The program will start in the Spring for a select group of subscribers and potentially become available for everyone by the latter half of the year. Game rentals would work essentially the same as movie rentals do with Total Access: you can rent a game online, get it in the mail, and, in addition to returning through the mail, you can take it to your nearest Blockbuster store (provided you can find one - they're scarce around my parts), return it and grab a movie in exchange or another game at a discounted rental fee. The point being that with this program, you get both the physical store experience with its readily available stock as well as the convenience of doing things online. Games will be available for Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS2.

"We already rent more video games than any other company, store-based or online, in the nation, so we know our core customer loves games as well as movies," Bob Barr, vice president of blockbuster.com, said. "A combination video game and movie online offering -- with in-store exchange privileges -- is a tremendous value and convenience offering not available through anyone other than Blockbuster." There's one catch, though: if you rent a game using Total Access, you'll get a five dollar surcharge on your monthly bill, according to HackingNetflix [http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2009/02/blockbuster-testing-game-rentals-with-total-access-subscription.html], who spoke to Barr.

Netflix, who have shunned game rentals even to the point of advertising game rental service GameFly in their envelope ads, could probably care less about this for now. They've made it clear already they don't see much of a business in renting out games. GameFly, though, who used to be the only game in town, might have a real competitor all of a sudden. Their service suffers from the same problem that Netflix does, except worse: they rarely have enough copies of new releases to go around. Last week I put Skate 2 at the top of my queue and, since they didn't have any, they sent me Devil May Cry 4 instead. Baloney. With Blockbuster's service you'll get at least get the alternative of trying to go to the store to find something you want if it's impossible to get online.

Still, the Blockbuster name has become increasingly hard to sell in the last few years, and the company's dire finances might make people wary to jump onboard a potentially sinking [http://finance.yahoo.com/news/15-Companies-That-Might-Not-usnews-14279875.html] ship. Would any of you guys who are either Netflix or GameFly subscribers consider switching to Total Access for this?

[Via Gizmodo [http://i.gizmodo.com/5151607/blockbuster-total-access-to-offer-video-game-rentals]]

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
I have GameFly and Total Access. I used to have Netflix, but they started charging $1 more per month just so I could have the OPTION of renting Blu-Ray movies, so I left on principle alone.

I don't think GF has anything to worry about, though. Blockbuster's service takes a LOT longer than Netflix, and GF's pretty slow too - usually takes a week to get something for me, and I live near one of their shipping centers. If Blockbuster can improve delivery times - for both the movie service and games - then it might get interesting. The biggest problem is going to be availability; Total Access sometimes takes forever to get something back in stock, while Netflix has stock to spare. Gamefly has stock problems as well. Should BB straighten up on those issues I mentioned, however, I might switch my GF subscription, if not for anything else than consolidating costs.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Meanwhile, the games industry will be trying to strangle the used + rental games industry. Hrm... who will win? The people who make games, or the people who rent games? Or maybe the consumer might come out on top this time...

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
BB's brick & mortar stores have always been infamous for poor selection and insufficient stock of popular titles so why would their online service be any different? I actually just cancelled my GF account for not having enough of the high-demand titles, and for the meaningless availability indicators. Most recently, They skipped by titles rated (in order) med, med, low, med, med, med to ship the 6th and 7th items in my queue. I don't play enough games to justify the price since I can rarely get new releases.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
dthree said:
I actually just cancelled my GF account for not having enough of the high-demand titles, and for the meaningless availability indicators. Most recently, They skipped by titles rated (in order) med, med, low, med, med, med to ship the 6th and 7th items in my queue. I don't play enough games to justify the price since I can rarely get new releases.
I quit recently also, for exactly the same reasons.

keeprunning

Apr 20, 2008
Strikes me as a desperate and final attempt before going belly up. Once you investigate the whole model a bit deeper it becomes very clear that this is not something geared toward gamers. Blockbuster is and always has been a movie rental outfit first and foremost and this hasn't changed. This new plan is basically geared toward the movie renter who wants to pick up a game once in a while. Not the other way around.

Bottom line is that Gamefly is focused on the gamer and Netflix is focused on the movie watcher. Each caters to a specific clientele and each does it well. 90% of the complaints about Gamefly come from people not being proactive enough managing their game queues. Getting new releases is pretty simple. 1. get titles into your queue before they release. 2. Make sure there's an open slot for a game to ship on release day. 3. After 1 & 2, make sure you've got them at the top of your queue. Simple. I've followed this formula and have consistently received new titles on release day. All that's required is a little proactivity.

That movies and games are the same thing in terms of rentals is simply not true. They're not. It's a completely different model for each which is why Netflix has stuck with what they do best and Gamefly has done the same. Every online rental business that's attempted to marry the two in the past has failed.

sleeperhit79

Feb 6, 2009
Couldn't agree more keeprunning. I have had gamefly for a few years now and the fact remains I get new releases constantly because i'm proactive. Don't try to return games the day before a new one comes out, return them a week before, that way you'll have a emty spot the day the game comes out cause after that forget it, it's either the day it comes out or months after in most cases. And all those people that think that games and movies are the same they're not. Any movie you can watch in one night and have it on it's way to the mail the morning after, a game, you can finish it in a week, or 4 months depending on the game, don't kid yourself into thinking you can rent GTA4 or fallout 3 and have it be a good deal. Over all the profit margin might be higher on renting games than movies, but the turnaround is so slow that it requires a huge stock of copies, especially for the longer games.

joanvideo

Jun 27, 2009
The website that you are registered with will also help you a lot and give you all of the information you need. It should feature info like reviews, ratings, game descriptions, FAQs, game cheats, important codes, and much more. All of this information will come in handy with most games you may have rented.

Like watching the trailer of a movie before you decide if you want to watch the actual movie, some websites allow you to view trailers of upcoming games.

Look for online game rentals [http://www.videogamerentalsguide.com/] services that offer you a free trial.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
keeprunning said:
That movies and games are the same thing in terms of rentals is simply not true. They're not. It's a completely different model for each which is why Netflix has stuck with what they do best and Gamefly has done the same. Every online rental business that's attempted to marry the two in the past has failed.
Bit confused by this. How are the models different? From looking at their respective sites they do the same thing just one is for games and the other for films.

In the UK we have something called LoveFilm, which is basically Netflix and Gamefly combined and its worked great for me.