Blizzard Commits To One "Frontline Release" Per Year

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Blizzard Commits To One "Frontline Release" Per Year

Despite its reputation for a "when they're done" approach to release schedules, Activision's [gn] fourth quarter earning call last night that it now intends to release one "frontline" game per year.

Much of the call focused on Activision's performance in the market, along with forecasts for the future including a prediction from Activision President Mike Griffith that the Wii [http://www.xbox.com] will see growth of over 16 million units in the same period. But more interesting was a statement from Blizzard COO Paul Sams, who said the studio was now scheduled to put out one major release every year.

"Blizzard intends on delivering one 'frontline' release per year," Sams said. "I think you can see in our numbers that that is contemplated." Blizzard currently has World of Warcraft [http://www.starcraft2.com/] front as well, but Sams wouldn't say which "frontline release" gamers can expect in 2009.

The smart money seems to be on Starcraft 2, which Sams recently Diablo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89403-StarCraft-II-Beta-In-the-Next-Few-Months] all the way back in 1996. There's no doubt Activision has the resources to make it happen, but will the final result be what we've come to expect from Blizzard?

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/12/activision-blizzard-predicts-console-sales-in-2009-promises-one/]

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
My initial thought on seeing this is "This certainly explains the Starcraft three-game split".

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Then again, they DID say they were going for one WoW expansion per year. And are currently releasing them at half that speed, so...

Nunka

Oct 10, 2007
If they stick to this, it'll mark the beginning of the end of good Blizzard games. Mark my words.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
It's sad really. With wow making the money you'd think they didn't need to evolve in that direction. I suppose it's either money or... the volumes of hate mail they get for not developing starcraft 2 and diablo 3.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Yes Activision, destroy what Blizzard is known for: making sure their games are going to be incredible, even in that means taking years and scrapping the project (Starcraft Ghost). If Activision knows what's good for their company they won't pressure Blizzard any more than needed.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
If they could do that and keep the blizzard quality and polish then great, I'm a little worried they won't though. I think for the time being blizzard has enough weight behind themselfs to disregard releasing a game once a year if it doesn't work out for them though.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
I'm hoping they mean WoW expansions which makes it good for me and possible for them to keep the high standard for full games, plus shouldn't Blizzard have been able to buy...well every game company by now? (Blizzard vs EA, dun dun duuun!)

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
I just hope Activision doesn't ruin everything like they always do... Tons of stuff that has their stamp on it comes out prematurely without it's protective polished shell and burns in the fanboy hatred...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Well, let's look at it this way. What they've got under development that would qualify as a "frontline" release:

WoW Team: WoW Expansion #3

RTS Team: StarCraft II Terran/Zerg/Protoss

Diablo Team: Diablo 3

Fourth Team: Next-Gen MMO

Right there, that's six games. We'll probably see SC2 Terran out by the end of 2009. In 2010, we'll likely get SC2 Zerg... potentially Diablo 3, and the next WoW expansion (going by the two-year development cycle of TBC and WotLK). 2011, SC2 Protoss, D3 if not in 2010.

Presumably the RTS team goes to WC4 once SC2 comes out, Diablo 3 team starts work on D3 expansion. Assuming that the WoW team keeps releasing one every two years, filling in the gaps with the other teams should be cake for a developer with the sort of cash reserves Blizzard is sitting on.

At least, one can HOPE so, anyway.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Presumably the RTS team goes to WC4 once SC2 comes out, Diablo 3 team starts work on D3 expansion.
Why would you say that? Now I'm getting my hopes up and stuff. :/

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Virgil said:
My initial thought on seeing this is "This certainly explains the Starcraft three-game split".
Yah. Now that Sams has said this, he's got at least a 4 year buffer just from announced games. 4 years from now, Blizzard might just go: "Actually, we're not so sure about this one-a-year thing... Don't our fans seek quality over quantity?"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dechef said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Presumably the RTS team goes to WC4 once SC2 comes out, Diablo 3 team starts work on D3 expansion.
J. Allen Brack (WoW production director) said he thought it was pretty likely that we'd see a WC4 once the RTS team was finished with SC2, at BlizzCon. We reported on it [http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/conferences/blizzcon_08/5358-Blizzcon-08-WoW-Diablo-3-Press-Conference] :)

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Dechef said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
J. Allen Brack (WoW production director) said he thought it was pretty likely that we'd see a WC4 once the RTS team was finished with SC2, at BlizzCon. We reported on it [http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/conferences/blizzcon_08/5358-Blizzcon-08-WoW-Diablo-3-Press-Conference] :)
Score! I love the Warcraft story; but I don't like where they are going with it in WoW.
Let's hope Warcraft 4 can make a turn for the better again!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Khell_Sennet said:
So... 2009 we see SC2-Terran. 2010 WoW Expansion 3, 2011 SC2-Zerg, 2012 WoW Expansion 4, 2013 SC2-Protoss, 2014 Diablo 3, and by 2015 we get WoW2.

Translation - Milk the WoW teat like it's the Sims, and in 4 years we may finally have all three parts of a game that was promised to be complete and released in 06, with year 7 finally giving us an RPG announced way too early.
Psst. They do have multiple teams, y'know. :p

And I'm still not sure where you got this idea that SC2 was promised to be released in 2006 when it wasn't even announced until May 2007, and they've been saying "when it's done" since the outset. Puzzling.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
LET THE DOOMSAYING BEGIN! THE END IS NIGH! BLIZZARD IS CLEARLY GOING BACK ON IT'S REPUTATION OMGWTFBBBQ!!!111ONE

Yeaaaaahh or not. Blizzard is the only company I just can't be cynical about. Cry babies... wait and see what happens.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
LET THE DOOMSAYING BEGIN! THE END IS NIGH! BLIZZARD IS CLEARLY GOING BACK ON IT'S REPUTATION OMGWTFBBBQ!!!111ONE

Yeaaaaahh or not. Blizzard is the only company I just can't be cynical about. Cry babies... wait and see what happens.
"In Blizzard we trust."
...too much?