Microsoft Starting Retail Stores to Rival Apple

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Microsoft Starting Retail Stores to Rival Apple

The software giants are fighting their brutal revenue war on another front: exclusive retail outlets.

The empire Bill Gates built continues its Borg-like takeover of every industry known to man with the recent announcement of its new line of Microsoft-branded retail stores.

In an obvious competitive move to match Apple, which opened its first Apple Stores on May 19, 2001, Microsoft hired 25-year Wal-Mart veteran David Porter to operate its retail division. Porter only plans for a "small number" of stores but sees "tremendous opportunities" for Microsoft to sell its products.

"The purpose of opening these stores is to create deeper engagement with consumers and continue to learn firsthand about what they want and how they buy," said Microsoft in a statement.

Microsoft's plan makes strategic sense in its ongoing war with Apple. However, Apple's strategic position prior to its retail push was more supportive of the plan due to improved product lines (the slowly growing iPod craze attracted customers) and a fewer preexisting retail agreements. Best Buy, the leading technology retailer, could be upset if it begins to lose software sales to Microsoft's shops. The risk of pissing off one of its top sales partners is clearly a lower priority than bolstering Microsoft's own identity to the house now run by Steve Ballmer.

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123448293075579777.html]

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
What are they going to actually sell? Zunes? Xboxs? XP?

Wow, its not like i can get those from somewhere else. Another example of Microsoft trying to be the cool kid but still looking like a complete nerd.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Now iTards are fanatics, who would buy any piece of iCrap you wave in front of their face. You could release iShit, the world's first Apple brand of toilet paper, and sell it for twice the price of brand-name wipe, and iTards would still be lined up outside Safeway every time a shipment is expected. Microsoft isn't going to be able to muscle into that market even if they handed out free Moller Skycars. So why open a retail establishment?

iPod socks. Wear one on your hand and wipe...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
"On other news Microsoft releases is first brand of condom's! The new Microsoft Nobaby condoms can be used more then once and guarantee never to malfunction when being used! These new revolutionary condom's will have accese to the internet and if you have a Windows Games for LIVE account you can moniter your Nobaby achievements online!

Warning:Nobaby if used for too long may:stop working,start smoking,explode or other malfunctions. If so please contact Microsoft so you can get your Nobaby repaired in no time!"

This will be future. *nod*

Taskerio

Feb 13, 2009
"Microsoft-branded retail stores." am I the only one who thinks of the suicide booths from Futurama when I read that phrase?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Cant say I see the point since im already snowed under by Microsoft software whenever I buy a new PC. But whatever floats their boat I guess

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
shadow_pirate22 said:
I want to go to a grand opening and video tape the screaming masses of NOBODY rushing in when they open their doors.
No. What you want to do is get the first footage of a Windows 7 demo machine BSOD-ing, then sell it to the news agencies.

$$$$$$$$$

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
so will the doors of the store randomly fall off, have no security cameras or working anti-theft in store, uneven shelves and you can only look at the products they tell you and can't go between aisle unless you ask them?

this store idea will probly have the anti-trust legislation pushed against them harder, i think they forget the administration has changed and they'll be less lenient than the previous one was

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
a shop aimed at selling software? what else can they include? a shelf of zunes and another of xboxes?

Spleeni

Jul 5, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
"And in other news, the new Microsoft stores that have popped up in every major mall over the last year finally have something to be proud of. In the last week, sales of the Microsoft Zune have trippled, all through Microsoft Store locations. That's right, an entire four Zune sold last week, bringing the product sales total up to six."
HEY! That's not cool!
I was one of those six, I can assu-
asu-
as-

*Uncontrollable crying*

Feb 13, 2008
Personally I'm still giggling over the picture of the stupid Istore beanbags around the child's table.

Seriously, grow up, you're making PCs look bad.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Whether or not this makes sense from a strategic standpoint doesn't matter much to me. I'm just afraid that these Microsoft stores will become magnets for twat-donkeys of the sort who frequent Apple shops.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Delta4845 said:
If they get rid of apple, wouldn't they be a monopoly?
Mister Gates, when did you realise you were creating a monopoly?
Monopoly is just a game, senator. I'm trying to control the fucking world!

This is going to end up with the poor workers there being abused when Vista craps itself or an Xbox RRoD's.

I honestly don't get the Microsoft hate. I mean, yeah, some of their products aren't great, but people ***** about hating Microsoft then won't use Apple or Linux. It's a pointless argument.