Dragon Quest Delay May Push Back FFXIII

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Dragon Quest Delay May Push Back FFXIII

Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/], also known as the game that may never come out, might be seeing yet another setback in its release schedule, thanks to the delay of Square-Enix's other gigantic franchise game, Dragon Quest IX.

Dragon Quest IX, which was originally slated for a March release in Japan, has been pushed back to July due to a number of problematic bugs. Who cares about stodgy old Dragon Quest, you say? As long as I have Final Fantasy XIII I could care less, you say? Well, the DQ delay may affect the release of FFXIII, according to Square-Enix president Yoichi Wada. "The next term's schedule has been fixed yet," Wada explained. "Presently, I cannot say what kind of effect we will experience from moving the Dragon Quest IX launch from March to July. I cannot say there won't be an effect." Regarding what it might do to change Final Fantasy XIII specifically, Wada said that "there is a possibility that Dragon Quest IX delay could effect Final Fantasy XIII."

It's nice to know that Square is adapting the "it's done when it's done" philosophy for DQ here, but it's starting to feel like neither of these games are ever going to come out. Square previously revealed that the game would be due in Japan by the end of 2009, but wouldn't be in stores overseas until April 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88716] at the earliest. That's due to the need to port the game over to the 360 for international markets, a process which for some reason Square doesn't want to begin until after all localization work on the PS3 version has finished. Now that the possibility of yet another delay exists, not even Japan may see FFXIII until 2010. Which would leave the overseas edition probably coming out whenever Duke Nukem Forever does.

It's okay to cry, Final Fantasy fans. Cloud would.

[Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5152760/square-enix-dragon-quest-ix-delay-may-affect-final-fantasy-xiii]]

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
Can Square-Enix not realise that FFXIII > DQIX? I mean seriously. They shouldn't releases trailers for a game if they're not expecting it to come out for another year. TEASERS, fine. But not trailers.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Double Goddamn it! I'm super excited about both of these games and a delay in either on the NA side will crush my soul.

Goddamn it Square! Why must you hurt me so!

Okay, this is excusable since there are some really bad bugs I suppose, they'd just BETTER not revolve around the stupid-ass multiplayer component.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Keane Ng said:
MiloP said:
Can Square-Enix not realise that FFXIII > DQIX?
DQ is like Star Wars for the Japanese. Well no, Gundam is. But DQ is HUGE.
No this is the REAL Japanese Star Wars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nausica%C3%A4_of_the_Valley_of_the_Wind

Thankfully unlike George Lucas and Sunrise, Hayao Miyazaki has the decency not to ruin a good thing.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
MiloP said:
Can Square-Enix not realise that FFXIII > DQIX? I mean seriously. They shouldn't releases trailers for a game if they're not expecting it to come out for another year. TEASERS, fine. But not trailers.
Not for Japan it isn't. Dragon Quest IX will stomp all over FFXIII, it's releasing to what is probably the single biggest userbase currently, the DS, and it's got that magic name "Dragon Quest" on it.

Also, you have to realise the politics involved. The merger between Square and Enix wasn't an equal merger, it was Enix eating Square whole. Dragon Quest was Enix' biggest property, you can be damn sure it's going to get precedence now.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Who needs Japanese Star Wars when you have Turkish Star Wars.

[link]http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7069307816427160377&ei=zd-VSbOBCZOuiALX2dy3Cw&q=turkish+star+wars[/link]

Seriously, everybody needs to watch this.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
See somehow i hadnt heard DQIX was coming out so this is actually a pleasant surprise for me

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Lol, the last time I was actually following the news around there games was when my game-scoops came through the mailbox, in paper.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I'm not sure he means just delays. FF13 is a VERY expensive project and they probably need that DQIX money to keep working on it.

Avida said:
See somehow i hadnt heard DQIX was coming out so this is actually a pleasant surprise for me
You missed that? They already announced DQ 10 for the Wii.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
What exactly is the DIFFERENCE between DQ and FF? they're both Genero-RPG's. Except DQ's art direction tends to rely on Toriyama and is thus superior and metrosexual free.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I have to think that if the Dragon Quest boys didn't jump the gun to start Dragon Quest X, this wouldn't be the case. Ah well, Star Ocean 4 is just a week and a half away. Besides, I'm not excited at all about FF13, and Dragon Quest IX has fallen off my radar since it was revealed that it will be a "Create your own party" type RPG. These days, without character development, Dragon Quest is a very one-dimensional formula.

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
I guess we'll never see Duke Nukem Forev- Ahhh fuck! Wrong game. I meant to say (type?), I guess we'll never see Final Fantasy 13.