Brutal Legend Legal Battle Escalates

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Brutal Legend Legal Battle Escalates

The Battle for Brutal Legend, Chapter Three: In which Activision claims it still owns the rights to the game, and Electronic Arts compares them to a jealous ex-husband.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, Activision Blizzard doesn't seem to think that Electronic Arts owns the publishing rights for Double Fine's Jack Black-starring heavy metal odyssey, Brutal Legend. In a presumably angry-worded letter to EA, Activision claims that it was still in negotiation for the rights to the game when the EA deal was made, thus rendering the arrangement unofficial, according to sources close to Variety's Cut Scene [http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/02/activision-brutal-legend-is-ours-ea-activision-is-a-jealous-exhusband.html] blog.

The implication of the letter, obviously, is that Activision's going to sue the pants off EA and Double Fine if they don't cease their partnership. EA's calling their bluff, though. "We doubt that Activision would try to sue," an EA representative said. "That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy."

But wait, weren't Activision Blizzard the ones who didn't want Brutal Legend in the first place? Brutal Legend was originally with Vivendi, which then got swallowed up in the merger with Activision, which became Activision Blizzard and dropped a healthy number of games, like Ghostbusters, the new Riddick game, and of course, Brutal Legend. After that, Double Fine went looking for a publisher and block any deals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88104-Br-tal-Legend-Gets-A-Publisher] at that point in time as well.

So, why does Activision want Brutal Legend now after all that? According to Variety's sources, it doesn't. Brutal Legend isn't the kind of mega-franchise like Guitar Hero or World of Warcraft that they're looking for. All they want is a little bit of compensation for giving up the rights to begin with, which was what Atari gave them when they bought up Ghostbusters and Riddick. Double Fine, however, holds that they own the rights to Brutal Legend, and after their agreement with Activision expired, were free to shop their product around to whoever they wanted.

So, Double Fine's got its side of story, Activision has its own, and EA just compared Activision to a jealous ex-husband. What will happen next? Tune in next time to The Battle for Brutal Legend to find out!

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Can't believe that I'm siding with EA, but this is pretty ridiculous... It almost sounds like Activision doesn't want anyone to publish Brutal Legend. They're just being douche-bags now....

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'd be more sympathetic with Activision if Activision hadn't been the ones to dump Brutal Legend in the first place. If they'd actually had ever made plans to publish it, maybe I could see their point... but they seem to be more interested in burying the title from the outset.

I can't see this as anything but yet another cash-grab, and I hope it blows up in Activision's face.

-- Steve

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
]This sounds like the Fox/WB battle for the rights to Watchmen and who won that one?

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Random argument man said:
I hope Activision loses. They've been ***holes since forever. I like the metaphor EA used.
Seriously. First they explicitly state that they don't want anything that can't be exploited each year with sequels, now this? I can't believe it, but I'm siding with EA.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, I can't believe that I'm on EA's side as well. Geez, what as the world come to?

And as for the 'jealous ex-husband' comment: SNAP!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Random argument man said:
Jark212 said:
And EA is usually the evil ones.
You realize that Activision was more evil all along.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88858
Activision was attracted to Blizzard just so it could feed off the shattered lives that WOW creates.
And Blizzard accepted their deal so they're just as complicit

But anyway, EA's really just putting on this show so we forgive them for past atrocities

and then they annex Poland make a crappy sequel to System Shock when nobody's looking

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Activision, if you screw this up... *drags finger across throat in menacing manner*