Chinese Blogger Stabbed in Beijing Bookshop

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Chinese Blogger Stabbed in Beijing Bookshop

Noted Chinese blogger and author Xu Lai was attacked yesterday after giving a talk in a Beijing bookshop.

According to the Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper, Xu was grabbed by two assailants and dragged into the toilets. Various sources cite the attackers as saying either "We're here for revenge," "You'll know better than to offend people next time," or "You brought this on yourself. You know why you're doing this, don't you?"

Xu Lai works as a journalist, but is primarily known for his blog Prostate in Flames, which touches on a number of sensitive subjects in modern Chinese culture. The blog was closed down by Chinese authorities, but Xu reopened it on another site.

Friends of Xu expressed their surprise at the attack, with one commentator, friend and fellow blogger Hecaitou saying on Twitter, "Xu Lai doesn't have any private enemies." But when speaking to the Southern Metropolitan Daily, he opined that Xu's blog may have precipitated the attack, describing Xu as "a low-key sort of person who wouldn't provoke anyone. However, there are many things on his blog that can touch a nerve and he has probably made enemies that way."

Other commentators were more strident however, and one comment in Xu's blog saying: "Comrades, netizens, such a despicable trick cannot stop the progress of Chinese people toward freedom and democracy."

Xu was rushed to a local hospital following the attack and was given the all clear after an emergency operation.

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/feb/15/china-blogger-xu-lai-stabbed]

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Yep, and everyday I'm glad to live in the Western world.. I can complain about this nanny state all I want with it's silly rules and obnoxious fines (read: taxes) .. but it sure beats living in China.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Isn't there a girl (or several) on these forums who lives in china, I wish we could have her input it might shine some real light on the situation like for example what exactly he might of said that would provoke such a response and who might be responsible for said response.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if the assailants were from the government. Though if they were they probably would have finished him off, so chances are they were just some pissed off thugs. Anyway, I guess that's the sucky part about living in China.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Until the Chinese read an effing history book and realize that psuedo-religious nationalism leads to nothing but self-destruction, this kind of thing will keep happening.

I doubt the government was directly involved. If you've ever seen snippets from forums used by average Chinese users, they're frighteningly self-policing. They really do believe that any attack on politics or cultural issues is the equivalent of you making fun of their own mothers. It's sick.

They can call themselves Communists all they want. They're fascists, straight and simple, running their country like a giant corporation for no greater end than "proving" how much better than everyone else they are, be it economically or militarily. And the last thing they care about is how many people get bulldozed or stabbed in the process.

And we in the West keep throwing them ships full of money, now to the point that we couldn't stop if we wanted to. Go us.

Sheesh.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
bodyklok said:
Isn't there a girl (or several) on these forums who lives in china, I wish we could have her input it might shine some real light on the situation like for example what exactly he might of said that would provoke such a response and who might be responsible for said response.
Don't forget about the great firewall of china.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
See, this is why I don't give out my real name, and never post pics of myself online. That way, any backlash from my ranting never spills out into RL.
You sound like you know that from experience.

I am glad that he survived, because if there's anything that China needs right now, it's free thought.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Lord Krunk said:
I am glad that he survived, because if there's anything that China needs right now, it's free thought.
Yeah. It's not just Tibet China needs to free; it's their people, too.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
England, I may loathe and detest it, but at least I can say, I don't have it THAT bad. Any chance on giving us the link to the site?

Also, Guns n Roses anyone? Chinese Democracy anyone?

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Well. Who said the pen is a mightier weapon then a sword? [sarcastic tone]

More and more chinese will notice.. hopefully.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Well, this is quite expected. You speak about the government, they try to murder you.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
My guess is he posted something about some corruption scandal, which angered whom ever it may concern. So, they then hires some thugs to teach him a lesson.

I highly doubt that the government is officially involved in any way at all. Because they have a lot more effective methods of silencing people than possibly creating a martyr. It's just not the party's style.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
Kukul said:
Damn, that man had balls to mess with Chineese goverment while still living there. A lot of people in Poland and in the whole world died that way and I admire and respect all of them (except the commies, of course).
Agreed ... except for the commie bit. Dedication and courage to a cause is to be admired despite historical considerations and your specific zeitgeist. Warriors unite! ;)