Aliens vs. Austen in Pride and "Predator"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Aliens vs. Austen in Pride and "Predator"

Continuing the bizarre trend of adapting Jane Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice for modern "genre" audiences - Elton John's Rocket Pictures is planning to start production [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118000187.html?categoryid=1238&cs=1] on Pride and Predator, pitting Mr. Darcy against a lethal alien foe.

First, it was Pride and Prejudice and Zombies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89342], a new take on the beloved masterpiece of English literature that aimed to spice up the story by placing extra scenes where the characters fought the living dead in between the rest of the book. Now, Will Clark - the director of 2007's acclaimed The Amazing Trousers - will be directing Pride and Predator, hopefully the first Jane Austen adaptation "to which men will drag their girlfriends."

Unlike Zombies, which preserves the original story and simply adds the undead, Predator will rewrite the plot entirely, which "veers from the traditional period costume drama when an alien crash lands and begins to butcher the mannered protags, who suddenly have more than marriage and inheritance to worry about."

I ... this is - this is just ... wow. Is doing a new take on Jane Austen going to be come the new "in thing"? According to David Furnish, one of the producers, Pride and Predator is an attempt to deconstruct and breathe new life into the exhausted Jane Austen stories - ironically by slaughtering the cast of the beloved novel.

I'm just wondering what's next. I mean, we have zombies, we now have Aliens, so... Sense and Shinobi? Pirates and Prejudice? Sanditron?!

Hm. On second thought, those could actually be pretty awesome. I'll reserve judgment.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
LOL!

Mansfield Park of the Damned?
Emma Croft: Sepulcher Plunderer?
Sense and Sensibility and Spies?

Sounds fun. : )

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Darcy wouldn't stand a chance against a Predator. Now Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights? That guy would just tear off his shirt and punch the Predator's lights out.

And as long as we're doing the rewrites, I'd be up for Middlemarch with zombies. At the end of the book, Dorothea has to beat Casuabon to death with a piece of Roman Art.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I can't wait for these. I'm actually going to have to start reading more classic literature soon if this keeps up.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
Whoa whoa whoa... "Elton John's Rocket Pictures" with Elton John exec producing? Is Sir Elton doing coke again, or is this just some sick joke? It sounds far too frickin awesome to be true! I'm almost as excited about this as I am about the Watchmen movie!

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Dear God. Two characters I love fighting each other to the death, Mr. Darcy and Predator. This will be the greatest movie ever made.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Three predators at the Black Gate and Frodo never needs to make it to the mountain. They may each need double plasma-casters for the flying things but cave trolls got nothing on xenomorphs sooo.....

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
You seem to have missed out Mr Darcy. Vampire.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Darcy-Vampyre-Amanda-Grange/dp/140223998X

CantFaketheFunk said:
I'm just wondering what's next. I mean, we have zombies, we now have Aliens, so... Sense and Shinobi? Pirates and Prejudice? Sanditron?!
We've also got Vampire's!

BO!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Don't forget "Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters".

Jane Austin + Tentacles.