G4 Faces Layoffs, X-Play Changes

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
G4 Faces Layoffs, X-Play Changes

Staffing cuts at gaming network G4 follow the schedule reduction for two of the brand's top shows: X-Play and Attack of the Show.

Changes at the only alleged gamer-centric television network never seem to end [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86052-X-Play-Extends-to-an-Hour], as the latest rumors of show restructuring have been confirmed by the company.

X-Play, which was recently announced to be doubling its show length prior to further business changes, and AOTS will be cut to their "former production schedules" starting March 2. Original episodes for AOTS will be reduced from five to four and five to three for X-Play.

Although no layoff numbers have been given, leaks to Variety [http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2009/02/layoffs-at-g4-xplay-hard-hit.html] claim those who were cut were staffers for both shows but the number remained in the single-digits percentage-wise of G4.

G4 confirmed, "Producing fewer episodes has resulted in a decrease in staff. Savings resulting from this move will go directly towards producing more original programming in 2009. This is not a budget cut. G4 remains dedicated to these core franchises."

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
Honestly, if AOTS is taken off the air, I will probably never turn the channel to G4TV again. They already took off all my favorite shows, and I won't go into that rant. Also, I already gave up on X-play since they decided to be "news show"

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
I quit watching the G4 long time ago so I don't really care. Honestly tt would be easier/better to just scrap the whole flipping channel be done with it.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
I haven's actually gotten the G4 channel since I was in middle school, back in the golden years of when it was G4TechTV. This was back when the network had programs like G4tv.com, The Screen Savers and Arena among other awesome and actually relevant programs. I'm actually glad that I haven't seen G4 since then, because I want to remember it as what it used to be, not what it has become.

~Van

phatduece

Feb 18, 2009
I for one hope that G4 goes under, they decided their fate when they decided to walk away from their fans and try to become like MTV with garbage reality shows. But I guess that is bound to happen when you are owned by the E! channel.The best thing about G4 was Olivia Morgan and the girls of CHEAT!. Someone should definitely start their own tech and video game channel/show, it could do very well on Youtube.

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
Tenmar said:
E-mantheseeker said:
Honestly, if AOTS is taken off the air, I will probably never turn the channel to G4TV again. They already took off all my favorite shows, and I won't go into that rant. Also, I already gave up on X-play since they decided to be "news show"
If I may ask why do you prefer AOTS over X-play? And also is the reason that X-play became a "News show" that turned you off? I just want to understand why do you prefer AOTS and their hosts versus X-play.
I prefer AOTS at this point because it doesn't seem scripted, sure they read stuff off the teleprompter, but for the most part they are themselves, and the most random things happen that can only happen from them, and they have personalities that all match each other. Chris Hardwick, Alison Haislip, and Layla Kayleigh are all included, not just Kevin & Olivia.

I honestly started watching (at the time) "TechTv" because of X-play, while they were just a review show and nothing else, I feel like this was them at their best. They didn't just say here's a game, here's the score, for the most part they were brutally honest, and for the most part humorous. Then it all changed, and Will Wright seemed to have his own segment on to the show, and the reviews that they still did seemed bought off from the company who created it for good scores, and the humour was gone.

Also, Morgan Webb seemed to get more and more robotic as the show changed, (devoid of real personality or just boring) which is why I never liked Blair Butler or whoever that guy is who comes onto X-play whenever Adam is out sick

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I hope they get rid of that Blair guy (not the Blair girl) he's a bit creepy.I know I'm not the only one who thinks so; if you saw the SF4 episode he ruffles the hair of one of the guys playing. The guy playing then wriggled from his grip with a look on his face like he smelled a turd.

I think what creeps me is that he's always so happy.
You- My Car's on Fire!
Blair- =D

AOTS is alright I guess but a bit too goofy; it could loose a half hour. I only really try and catch ATN and DVDuesday. I get the feeling that Kevin guy is a bit creeped out by Blair too.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I'm a fan of X-play, although I usually just DVR it and fast forward through the fluff. I do wish that they would bring back Cheat though. I always enjoyed watching it.