More Street Fighter IV Characters "If There's Demand"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
More Street Fighter IV Characters "If There's Demand"

Street Fighter IV has a pretty big cast for a fighting game - but it could potentially be even bigger, the game's producer told Famitsu, specifically mentioning the two characters from Super Street Fighter II that didn't make the cut.

The console version of the title that hit shelves yesterday already has a bigger roster than seen in arcades, including Street Fighter Alpha cast members Sakura, Rose, Gen, and Dan. Also returning are two of the "New Challengers" that first made their appearance in Super Street Fighter II: Kung-fu movie star Bruce L - er, Fei Long, and British special agent Cammy. However, there were four new characters in Super SF2 ... what happened to the other two? Where are Native-American T. Hawk and Jamaican kickboxer Dee Jay?

According to SF4 producer Yoshinori Ono, the development team had originally planned to include them - indeed, they still "want them in!" In fact, the discs whirring away inside many an Xbox 360 or PS3 might actually contain some character data - both characters had modeling done up to the "pre-texturing" phase, and T. Hawk actually has SF4 gameplay data. According to Ono, "If user's [sic] make their voices know [sic], this prep work is something we can revive at anytime."

Of course, this begs the question: How would you deliver them? Would they be downloadable content, similar to the alternate costumes? If so, how do you compensate for balance, so that someone doesn't get an unfair advantage over another player just because they have the extra cash to fork out for additional characters?

Also, nostalgia aside, T. Hawk and Dee Jay aren't the most memorable cast members in the Street Fighter series. Personally, before we get either of them, I'd love to see some faces from Street Fighter III: Ibuki, Dudley, and Alex, anyone?

On the other hand, we could always just wait for the inevitable release of Hyper Street Fighter IV: Worldwide Championship Edition EX 3.

(Kotaku [http://www.famitsu.com/interview/article/1222047_1493.html?ref=rss])

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
I demand. And I'm not a developer, so I'm not increasing supply. In fact, maybe I should start kidnapping developers to make supply go down.

Zippy1313

Mar 26, 2008
Do not have them as DLC. Please just add them in a new game. We all know they will because Capcom has that habit of making 4-5 different versions of each Street Fighter (except the first one).

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
Its a pity they didn't include Hokuto from EX +alpha. I really liked her whole counter, evasion style -- even if it was bloody difficult to actually use effectively.

Also Kairi, for that whole RAAAAAAA!punchpunchpunchpunchpunchrightthroughyourgutsomehow special attack he had.

sigron12

Mar 4, 2009
I know its all about the money, but if they were smart they would just utilize the technology of the 360 and PS3, and just make characters downloadable. I'm sick of the Street Fighter games having expansion 'games' and not expansion 'packs'. In the next few months (or hopefully sooner), they should release 4 new characters in a DLC pack. That would be awesome. And, hopefully, out of those 4 characters, they would include Sean =) . Yes, you'll find that I'm very partial to the Ryu, Ken, Dan, and Akuma-type fighters, and I need Sean to feel complete about SF4, lol.

Feb 13, 2008
I'd also put back in Cracker Jack, Doctrine Dark, Skullomania, Evil Chun Li, Rainbow Mika, Sodom, Pullum and Omega Tom Hanks.

BLOONINJA 503

Sep 20, 2008
Zippy1313 said:
Do not have them as DLC. Please just add them in a new game. We all know they will because Capcom has that habit of making 4-5 different versions of each Street Fighter (except the first one).
Thats becuase they couldn't update them....

The new patch is coming out in summer, pretty close with the PC release.

still no news on the announced SSF:II HD REMIX patch though.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
I'd also put back in Cracker Jack, Doctrine Dark, Skullomania, Evil Chun Li, Rainbow Mika, Sodom, Pullum and Omega Tom Hanks.
MUGEN would be proud...

I wish they would put Yun in though, that would be awesome.

Oh and if you unlock some of the artwork they have a drawing of a Hugo and Posion look-a-like... that would be interesting.

But if they dared to put Evil Ryu from Alpha 2 GOLD.... my life would have reached the high point... :]

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The fact that R. Mika isn't in it troubles me greatly.

Is Cody in SFIV? If he is I might have to go buy this game now.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_Alpha/Characters/Cody

Cody was the man for me :p. I liked him a lot.

BLOONINJA 503

Sep 20, 2008
sigron12 said:
I know its all about the money, but if they were smart they would just utilize the technology of the 360 and PS3, and just make characters downloadable. I'm sick of the Street Fighter games having expansion 'games' and not expansion 'packs'. In the next few months (or hopefully sooner), they should release 4 new characters in a DLC pack. That would be awesome. And, hopefully, out of those 4 characters, they would include Sean =) . Yes, you'll find that I'm very partial to the Ryu, Ken, Dan, and Akuma-type fighters, and I need Sean to feel complete about SF4, lol.
Again, They couldn't update games back then...

and besides they know people wont buy a game twice... the Economy just doesnt allow that purchase to the average person.

BLOONINJA 503

Sep 20, 2008
theultimateend said:

NOPE!!!

sucks I know

Kurt Horsting

Jul 3, 2008
For me, the top four (tier wise) from 3s, Yun, Makoto, Urien and Dudley. It should come out in a DLC pack instead of entirely new games based off the same game. And also it should come with minor balance fixes, (make RSF easier but only up to 3 times, no chicken wing infinite, give sakura her old j mk etc)

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I would love to see more characters make it to SFIV like Ibuki, Makoto, Yin, Yun, etc. I say "would" because I don't know if it is what's best for SFIV, a game that is incredibly balanced. Adding more characters could ultimately throw off that balance unless the developers went back through the ENTIRE game and had to re balance EVERYTHING...

If Capcom is going to have to create another "expansion" game in the future to add these characters, i'll withdraw my demand because i'm really tired of having expansion games like all the SFII versions out there. Just give us DLC online, don't go out of your way to make a completely new game...

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
BLOONINJA 503 said:
theultimateend said:

NOPE!!!

sucks I know
Damn that is tragic. Oh well.

barryween said:
why the hell would anyone want those two?
They suck.
Nuff' said.
It's a pretty good rule to follow that when someone says "nuff' said" they've said nothing at all in the first place.

barryween

Apr 17, 2008
theultimateend said:
BLOONINJA 503 said:
theultimateend said:

NOPE!!!

sucks I know

barryween said:
They suck.
Nuff' said.
God damn it! How did HE find out the golden rule. But seriously, I ment it as "I would rather see other characters (R. Mika!!!) than them"
ENOUGH said. :)

It's a pretty good rule to follow that when someone says "nuff' said" they've said nothing at all in the first place.

BLOONINJA 503

Sep 20, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
I would love to see more characters make it to SFIV like Ibuki, Makoto, Yin, Yun, etc. I say "would" because I don't know if it is what's best for SFIV, a game that is incredibly balanced. Adding more characters could ultimately throw off that balance unless the developers went back through the ENTIRE game and had to re balance EVERYTHING...

If Capcom is going to have to create another "expansion" game in the future to add these characters, i'll withdraw my demand because i'm really tired of having expansion games like all the SFII versions out there. Just give us DLC online, don't go out of your way to make a completely new game...
OMFG!!!

They arent gonna make expansions like they did before

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
barryween said:
theultimateend said:
BLOONINJA 503 said:
theultimateend said:

NOPE!!!

sucks I know

barryween said:
They suck.
Nuff' said.
God damn it! How did HE find out the golden rule. But seriously, I ment it as "I would rather see other characters (R. Mika!!!) than them"

To be fair I thought you were bashing Cody or RMika and that's why I went batshit (well my kind of batshit).

As for the native guy and Deejay. The thing I like to remind people about Deejay is that he's the black version of Dan. By that I mean he's the black comedian character. I can't remember which anime it was but whatever SF anime had DeeJay I remember him being an utter slapstick character. Shit never went his way.

If they integrated that into his character I'd enjoy it.

barryween

Apr 17, 2008
theultimateend said:
barryween said:
theultimateend said:
BLOONINJA 503 said:
theultimateend said:

NOPE!!!

sucks I know

barryween said:
They suck.
Nuff' said.

To be fair I thought you were bashing Cody or RMika and that's why I went batshit (well my kind of batshit).

As for the native guy and Deejay. The thing I like to remind people about Deejay is that he's the black version of Dan. By that I mean he's the black comedian character. I can't remember which anime it was but whatever SF anime had DeeJay I remember him being an utter slapstick character. Shit never went his way.

If they integrated that into his character I'd enjoy it.

Nope. Just Deejay and Birdie or whatever their names r.