Noby Noby Boy Stretches to PSN Today

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Noby Noby Boy Stretches to PSN Today

Attention PS3 owners: Turn on the nearest black-light and put on your copy of Dark Side of the Moon, because the world's most advanced LSD simulator will be hitting the PlayStation Network later today.

Katamari Damacy was a great game. Sure, it had its moments of crack-inspired "WTF?!" (namely, the entire game) but it was still easy to understand the point of the game just by watching someone play: Stuff sticks to ball. Roll ball around. Ball gets bigger. Pick up bigger stuff. Very, very simple.

I've watched every teaser video [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/18/noby-noby-boy-coming-tomorrow-on-psn/] of Noby Noby Boy - the next brainchild of Katamari creator Keita Takahashi - that I can get my hands on, and I still don't have a single damn clue what the hell is going on in the game ... just a vague concern that there might have been something wrong with the cookies I just ate.

Nor am I alone in my confusion - Takahashi himself doesn't know how to describe the game [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/02/13/noby-noby-boy-is/], and he made the thing! The only hard fact that I've been able to glean from reading up on the game is that the goal for players is to stretch one character, Boy, as far as possible. Every single gamer playing Noby Noby Boy and stretching their own Boy will contribute to the lengthening of another entity, Girl - and the longer Girl gets, the more stages will be unlocked for gamers worldwide.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of this communal level-unlocking is actually really, really cool. I think it's absolutely fantastic, and a stroke of pure brilliance. It's the rest of the game that gives me pause. Perhaps that's the point, though, according to Takahashi:

[blockquote]By making an undefined and ambitious game, I want the player's reaction to be something like, "I don't know why, but it's somehow interesting. I can't stop playing."[/blockquote]

Congratulations, Takahashi-san. If your aim was to confuse, then you have succeeded with flying colors. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I have to go off and watch my hand move for the next four hours.

Evil Scotsman

Dec 1, 2008
Hmm, I have a question. Is this the PSN in America, or Europe? Because they hardly ever bring it out on the same day, which is quite annoying

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I can't stop laughing at this, it's just so funny.

But I agree, I absolutely love the idea that you contribute to everyone elses playing and that everyone connected earns more places to play and continue to make Girl grow.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to buy this drug game.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I find equal entertainment in watching other people get the genuine 'kick' for free.

They do craaaazy things.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
I have absolutely no fucking idea what this game's about.

No, really, no idea at all, and I've been playing it for the last two hours.

Still, there is a certain hilarity in a game where eating your own arse is a valid gameplay tactic.

Edit: Oh, and apparently I am 431st in the leaderboard for length contributed to Girl.

Go me. (By the time I wake up I expect that to be a much less impressive position...)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
I have absolutely no fucking idea what this game's about.

No, really, no idea at all, and I've been playing it for the last two hours.

Still, there is a certain hilarity in a game where eating your own arse is a valid gameplay tactic.

Edit: Oh, and apparently I am 431st in the leaderboard for length contributed to Girl.

Go me. (By the time I wake up I expect that to be a much less impressive position...)
I'm somewhere in the 6000s. I hope alot of people will contribute to make Girl grow, I also like the King and Queen and number 1 and 2 positions.

But still.....this is most likely the closest thing I'll get to drugs for a while.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
harhol said:
I bought it today and played it for a few hours. I love the idea of working together to reach different planets, though I dread to think how long it'll take before somewhere like Pluto is reached. Just getting to the Moon will apparently take two weeks.
He said it will only take a week. Supposedly, new planets allow you to stretch easier, meaning we'll get a new planet every 2-4 days or so.
How many planets are we going to be able to stretch to? Hopefully it's more than just 9/8/10