Capcom's 10 Commandments of Development

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Capcom's 10 Commandments of Development

At DICE 2009, Resident Evil 5 producer Jun Takeuchi outlined the "10 Commandments" Capcom tried to adhere to as a developer - rules that helped birth games like Lost Planet and Dead Rising.

Takeuchi's commandments have been neatly summarized by Stephen Totilo over at MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/19/dice-2009-the-10-commandments-of-capcom-development/]. Some of them are directly business-related, dealing with things like finances and budgets:

[blockquote]1. Keep staff turnover below 10 percent per annum.

2. Maintain the ability (and cash reserves) to increase personnel by 10 percent each year.

3. Keeping the first two points in mind, keep development cost fluctuation within 10%.[/blockquote]

Others are a bit less specifically fiscal and more visionary:

[blockquote]6. Goals and objectives must be adaptable to external forces. (Takeuchi cited as a positive example, Square-Enix moving the Dragon Quest series to the Nintendo DS.)

10. Don't set unachievable targets.[/blockquote]

Above all, stressed Takeuchi, the thing that trumps every single one of these commandments can be summarized in one short word: "fun." Does the gamer enjoy what they're playing? Without that, Takeuchi believes, "I think you lose the reason for your company to exist. This is the never-changing spirit of Capcom."

Capcom's track record for fun this year has been pretty good so far [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5767-Review-Street-Fighter-IV]. Let's hope RE5 delivers similarly.

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
....they missed 11 out?, keep games from European regions at all cost for as long as humanly possible especially the monster hunter series.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
spyrewolf said:
....they missed 11 out?, keep games from European regions at all cost for as long as humanly possible especially the monster hunter series.
Let's be fair here. Whose fault is it really: theirs for not releasing their games in Europe, or yours for living in Europe in the first place?!

I think the answer should be obvious.

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
...wrong i live in the US but have friends in euro regions, also US has also not got monster hunter G2 yet..

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
spyrewolf said:
Let's be fair here. Whose fault is it really: theirs for not releasing their games in Europe, or yours for living in Europe in the first place?!

Oh, snap!!

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
spyrewolf said:

But it also come down to a lack of interest from European publishers to help bring the game to their respective audience? But then again, the game can still be imported. Hell, we don't even have the latest MH game released here in Canada/US until like a year or so after it's release in Japan. And lest I forget, there are little changes done to the MH series, that buying the next iteration almost feel like purchasing a New Game+ mode.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
While it's of course good to see they have sound business practices I fail to see how they influence the actual game development. And having a rule like "make good games" isn't really worth mentioning, because every company ever will say that :p

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
11. Throw all that out the window when it comes to deciding which platform to put the big name sequels on.

Oh hay let's release RE5 on the 360 and PS3 when RE4 sold 1.5 million copies as a very late and dirt cheap port on the Wii...

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
spyrewolf said:
And the Megaman series for DS (still no StarForce 2)