American McGee Returns To Alice

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
American McGee Returns To Alice

American McGee is working on a sequel to American McGee's Alice [http://alice.planets.gamespy.com/], the cult favorite action game for the PC developed by American McGee.

"This new project is a dream come true for me and the fans who've kept the Alice flame alive," said McGee, Founder and Senior Creative Director of Shanghai-based studio Spicy Horse [http://www.spicyhorse.com/]. "EA gave us creative latitude and support on the original game which resulted in something beautiful and daring. This trip through the looking glass promises to be even more exciting."

Released in 2000, the original American McGee's Alice was a "dark" follow-up to Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland [http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/] in which Alice's parents have been killed in a house fire. Alice herself tries to commit suicide and is institutionalized as a result; some time later, she's transported to a radically different and corrupted Wonderland, now under the rule of the evil Queen of Hearts.

Few details have been released, and publisher EA Partners [http://www.ea.com] is apparently giving McGee free reign on the project. "We've given him a blank canvas to go where he would like. There is nothing set in stone and nothing has been removed either," said EA Partners General Manager David DeMartini. He added that future projects could be in store if the game does well, although the new Alice project is the only one currently on the table. "We are really having him focus on this one for now," he said. "Letting him create as strong a game as he can."

McGee said on his blog that R.J. Berg, the writer and executive producer of the first game, is returning to take on the same roles for the sequel. "The original Alice was a good bit of fun - and aspects of the original are still quite compelling," he wrote [http://www.americanmcgee.com/wordpress/2009/02/20/alice-sequel/]. "The challenge for us - to build a great game, and a sequel worthy of the original - is real, but not daunting. Over the past few years we've assembled a really amazing team. I have full faith in their ability to create something amazing."

American McGee's new American McGee's Alice title is being developed for the PC, PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com].

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
I got an e-mail in my inbox yesterday from American McGee's blog and the news made my day. It apparently made Root's day, too. After I told him in the IRC he started quoting lines from the game.

*sighs* I need to go dig out my copy of the first Alice now...

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I'm just praying (I know this is probably cheeky I just always wanted to play it but havent) that it is accessible to people who never played the original

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
The original was possibly the first game to make me think 'oh hell what the hell is going on, what the hell was in that sandwich. I need a lie down.' and that was just the demo, this will be someting i will follow closley.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I never did get to play Alice, wanted to, but was piss broke when it was available. Here's to hoping the game isn't so fan-centric that a newcomer can't enjoy it too.
you can find it at ebgames for cheap, it's a bargin bin game now and it was pretty fun

i wish he got to make his OZ games that he was planning to make

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
*looks right, looks left* Where's Necroswanson?

Anyway, this game could be really cool (I love that pic up there).

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Hmmm....first Brutal Legend and now giving Alice McGee free reign? Do I sense an EA 'don't be evil anymore' policy?

inkheart_artist

Jan 22, 2009
Thats awesome but oh, how I wish that they went through with the Wizard of Oz. The concept art was so interesting. Hope if indeed this gets published it'll have a more fleshed out ending then the first. That was a kick in the nuts after beating the queen and it just being all sunshine happy days. Hope thats not a spoiler or at least a relevant spoiler.

:x

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I love this idea of a dark fable. They all have this sadistic undertone to them, like they were made for kids, but the adults know what they're really about. Like the sex jokes in Disney movies :p

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Hey Joe said:
Hmmm....first Brutal Legend and now giving Alice McGee free reign? Do I sense an EA 'don't be evil anymore' policy?
nope, it's EA. The way they're going to kill a cult favorite is to make it 'accessable', which is the fast lane to mediocrity.

either that or they'll make it a short game, withold content, and charge you for more weeks down the line via the slippery slope of microtransactions, just like mirror's edge.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Wasn't there going to be a film released based on the game, but it never got off the ground? It was meant to be done last year but it never really kicked off. However, Tim Burton is doing an 'Alice in Wonderland' film for release next year. I know it's meant to be another dark twist on the story (most Tim Burton films are), but I don't think it's based on this game. Which is actually a shame, since he is one of the few film-makers who could possibly turn a good game into a good movie, he just never has done so. He's definitely got potential to do it though...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
There was, and technically it's been in development for years, but apparently it's semi-permanently stalled. I doubt it has any future; Tim Burton's movie will render it essentially irrelevant, since McGee's game was pretty much just a Burtonized Alice anyway.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Nurb said:
Hey Joe said:
nope, it's EA. The way they're going to kill a cult favorite is to make it 'accessable', which is the fast lane to mediocrity.

either that or they'll make it a short game, withold content, and charge you for more weeks down the line via the slippery slope of microtransactions, just like mirror's edge.
you do realize that ea was the one who released it in the first place right?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Malygris said:
There was, and technically it's been in development for years, but apparently it's semi-permanently stalled. I doubt it has any future; Tim Burton's movie will render it essentially irrelevant, since McGee's game was pretty much just a Burtonized Alice anyway.
Yeah. I'm quite looking forward to the Burtonized one anyway, but that's just going to be based more on the original story than this game. Sort of like the game, but without Alice going around sadistically killing things with the Vorpal Blade. Kind of takes the fun out of it, sort of...

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Hey Joe said:
They're letting Activision take the reigns of that policy now.