Call of Duty: The Geneva Conventions

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Call of Duty: The Geneva Conventions

A father of a young teenager desperate for some Geneva Conventions [http://www.callofduty.com].

Hugh Spencer's 13-year-old son plays a lot of videogames, as teenage boys tend to do these days, but his father Hugh felt some trepidation when the teen said he wanted to play Call of Duty online with his friends. "Evan's wanting to play C of D was something of a challenge for us," he wrote on Boing Boing [http://www.boingboing.net/2009/02/22/parent-of-gamer-asks.html]. "It's rated T and he's only just a teenager and point and shoot first person games worry me some."

Fortunately for Evan, his father apparently thinks he's a pretty good kid, describing him as "relentlessly reasonable" which meant that he "had to be reasonable too." He examined the game and determined that while there was "lots of shooting and blowing things up," there was also some historical merit to the game. So they made a deal.

"I asked Evan to google the Geneva Convention. Then he had to read it and then we had to discuss it. This we did," Spencer wrote. "So the deal is that Evan has to fight according to the rules of the Geneva Convention. If his team-mates violate the Convention then play stops and Call of Duty goes away for a while."

The article didn't specify which title in the series Evan is playing although World At War [http://www.callofduty.com/CoDWW] is the most likely culprit, and in any event I'm not sure the mechanics of any Call of Duty game have much to do with the Geneva Conventions, which primarily deal with prisoners of war and non-combatants rather than smack-talk and asshatting. Still, it's a great way to turn the dubious educational value of Call of Duty into genuinely worthwhile knowledge and discussion. No word yet on whether Evan has been grounded for failing to provide medical care to wounded prisoners or for imposing collective punishments on civilian populations of occupied territories.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Play according to the Geneva conventions?

So no Nuclear Weapons for him then?

EDIT: I just google'd them and found out what they are. Most of this stuff never happens in COD anyway. Though some may happen in the campaign.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
Parents are ridiculous these days. As will I be with my kids in 5-10 years (if I get that opportunity to train and raise n00blets of my own), but not ridiculous in half of the ways that parents are these days.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I don't see this as ridiculous at all, I think it's brilliant. So what if the Geneva Conventions don't actually come into play in COD? The kid wants to play the game, the father wants him to learn something. Everybody wins. If more parents showed this sort of creativity and initiative, we'd probably see an uptick in conversations about how games - even mainstream stuff like COD - can be turned to "good use" for kids, as opposed to all the idiotic hand-wringing about how they're turning them into mindless zombie killers.

DangerChimp

Nov 28, 2008
I think this parent's actually much more responsible and crafty than most. Not only is he aware of what his kid is playing, he also actually took the time to examine the game on a more than superficial level. Next, he managed to teach his kid about the Geneva Conventions while blending it with the kid's entertainment. Sure, the Conventions don't directly relate to CoD5, but they're certainly topical given what's been happening/is going to happen with Guantanamo Bay.

A tip of my hat to this parent, who shows there's more to parenting than buying your kid any game he or she wants just so they'll keep quiet for a while.

Well done.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Reading the link posted there, I think the only way the Geneva Convention affects gameplay in CoD is that he possibly wouldn't be able to kill people in last stand unless they were shooting at him.

My experience of the CoD line starts and stops with CoD4 so I don't know what it would affect in WorldAtWar

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
If he'd argued for the Hague Conventions [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Conventions_(1899_and_1907)] on the conduct of war, it'd have had real limitations in CoD; no flamethrower, for instance.

-- Steve

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I think what the father did was great. He's letting the kid play the game, but at the same time raising awareness, that in real-life you can't just run about shooting people. The kid is learning that war has rules, innocent lives have to be protected and that there are serious consequences for transgressions.

That's a hell of alot better than just letting the kid play and have him learn a "shoot everything that moves" from it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
GruntOwner said:
... Isn't the use fo a flamethrower prohibited by that thing?
Part III. Methods and Means of Warfare Combatant and Prisoners-Of-War

Section I. Methods and Means of Warfare

Art 35. Basic rules

1. In any armed conflict, the right of the Parties to the conflict to choose methods or means of warfare is not unlimited.

2. It is prohibited to employ weapons, projectiles and material and methods of warfare of a nature to cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering.

3. It is prohibited to employ methods or means of warfare which are intended, or may be expected, to cause widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment.

I think all flame weapons fall under that. Whatever happened to "All's fair in love and war"?

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Read this yestoday after linking off Moviebob's show :) woo 1 day ahead. Anyway, tangental learning, i like.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
OK, it seems a bit strange - but hats off the the father for actaully giving a dam about what his sons doing and engaging with it.
Who knows it may result in him treating people he plays with with more repsect - even if it is over fear of losing the game.

Davey Woo said:
Reading the link posted there, I think the only way the Geneva Convention affects gameplay in CoD is that he possibly wouldn't be able to kill people in last stand unless they were shooting at him.

My experience of the CoD line starts and stops with CoD4 so I don't know what it would affect in WorldAtWar
The scene where capt Price headshots All Asad (or whatever his name is) wouldnt be allowed, and the ending where you team is gunned down, and im not sure about sniping Zacheave

In Waw there are chances were you can kill wounded Germans, the Russian Sgt encourages you too.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Play according to the Geneva conventions?

So no Nuclear Weapons for him then?

EDIT: I just google'd them and found out what they are. Most of this stuff never happens in COD anyway. Though some may happen in the campaign.
No flamethrowers, no .50 cal weapons used on players, no land mines, no shooting at unarmed people (even if they shot at you and dropped the weapon) no chemical weapons, and no torture.

Those rules only apply to organized armies of signatory countries though, so you can do whatever you want to players that play nationalities like Sudanese, Libyans, and Venezuelans (though I don't think most of those are in there.)

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Sir_Montague said:
Parents are ridiculous these days. As will I be with my kids in 5-10 years (if I get that opportunity to train and raise n00blets of my own), but not ridiculous in half of the ways that parents are these days.
Pure Pwnage reference...
IS that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm a big fan of the show FYI... Loved seeing the cast and crew in toronto for the eps 13 premiere...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
This makes me giggle, and it's a very clever way to teach your child 1. That war is not a joke or a game, 2. Some history, and 3. That daddy isn't a total assbag- go ahead and play skipper.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
He should have argued that the Geneva Conventions didn't come into place until after WWII. And, seeing as this is the gaming industry, said war has NEVER ENDED.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Dude, the Convention for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded in Armies in the Field was adopted by the 16 attending states of the Geneva Conference of 1864.

I think somebody needs to have his Xbox taken away until he does a little more reading.