Go!Messenger Goes!Under - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Go!Messenger Goes!Under - UPDATED

PSP [http://eu.playstation.com/] at the end of March.

The company posted a message on the Go!Cam [http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/], a 1.3 megapixel digital camera that mounts on top of the device to allow for videoconferencing between PSP users and also with PC users who have the BT Softphone 2 software installed. Go!Messenger was only released for European PSP models, although U.S. owners can add the software manually if they have firmware version 3.90 installed.

Despite being free and bringing "innovative communications features" to the PSP, Sony said that just over a year after its February 2008 release Go!Messenger had failed to achieve the critical mass it was after. "The Go!Messenger service will be withdrawn by BT and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCEE) from 31 March 2009," the company said. "Although it proved a popular concept, achieving a significant number of registrations, it didn't gain the number of regular users that BT and SCEE were aiming for."

Numerous sites have reported on the story but the actual message making the announcement on the Sony forums appears to be gone. We've dropped a line to a Sony rep seeking confirmation and will update when we receive a response.

UPDATE: Despite the missing announcement, SCEE Public Relations Manager Nick Caplin said that Sony will in fact be shutting down Go!Messenger as announced, telling us, "I can confirm that Go! messenger will no longer be available to PSP users from March 31st."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sony-shutting-down-psps-go-messenger]

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Well, I never tried out Go! on my PSP, mostly because I never had a reason to. Was it any good?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Not to be disrespectful, but the girl in the picture looks like a transsexual.

On topic: I never even heard of this! Did it get a lot of press?

Lt. Dragunov

Sep 25, 2008
Wait wait wait hold on, this is the first I'v heard of Go! I knew there was a camera for the psp but I'v never actually seen it and now theres Go!Messenger? How come this is the first I'v heard of this?

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Not to be disrespectful, but the girl in the picture looks like a transsexual.

On topic: I never even heard of this! Did it get a lot of press?
Alpha Reaper757 said:
Wait wait wait hold on, this is the first I'v heard of Go! I knew there was a camera for the psp but I'v never actually seen it and now theres Go!Messenger? How come this is the first I'v heard of this?
It seems that there is a recurring theme here. Nobody knew this thing existed, so thus there's the reason it didn't get the User #'s they wanted. Makes sense to me.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
never tried it due to the fact I'd have to buy a camera, register something (registering anything psp related is woeful. i never got to play syphon filter on-line due to errors, or make an EA on-line account for medal of honor heroes)

LifeSarcastic

Feb 25, 2009
Silly Sony you have to tell people about stuff before they think of buying it. But seriously they should have had more press for this thing.