Squeenix Goes Steam-Powered

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Squeenix Goes Steam-Powered

JRPG giant Square-Enix is the latest developer to sign onto Valve's Steam digital distribution service, starting with The Last Remnant in early April.

The action RPG will be the first, hitting the virtual shelves on April 9th, but it won't be the last - Square-Enix plans to increase its Steam library, with specific plans and pricing to be announced down the line.

"Square Enix is committed to delivering the best quality titles to PC gamers and distribution on Steam is one of the many steps we are taking to increase accessibility for fans in North America and PAL territories," said Squeenix head John Yamamoto.

One wonders what other titles could potentially be on the way from the Final Fantasy publisher. Final Fantasy XI and its myriad of expansions are an obvious choice, but ... what else could there be? Personally, I can't wait for a re-release of the PC ports of FFVII through FFIX, provided they fix the parts where they were, y'know, filled with so many bugs they were practically a trial on Fear Factor.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=209104%3Fcid])

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Awesome, smart decision on their part. Never knew they made a lot of Pc games though.
And what is The Last Remnant? Anyone care to enlighten me?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Onmi said:
Brotherofwill said:
Awesome, smart decision on their part. Never knew they made a lot of Pc games though.
A decent game, but nothing to pay full price for, this is from a guy who likes SE games to.
Thanks for the tipp. Since it comes out soon and i haven't even heard of it, I might aswell have figured...

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Pyronox said:
Brotherofwill said:
Last Remnant is an oxymoron.

Har har har.
No it isn't, it's redundant.

Haw haw haw.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
LoopyDood said:
Pyronox said:
Brotherofwill said:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.
We shall settle this the old way:
*Removes glove and gets into slapping position*
Har Har

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Sweet. I wonder what they'll put up? I want to see why people rave about FFVII.

Pyronox said:
LoopyDood said:
Pyronox said:
Brotherofwill said:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.
Tomato, tomato.

...Oh wait that doesn't work on the internet, does it now?
To-may-to, to-mah-to.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Pyronox said:
LoopyDood said:
Pyronox said:
Brotherofwill said:

Har har har.

Haw haw haw.
Tomato, tomato.

...Oh wait that doesn't work on the internet, does it now?
If they meant the same thing... I guess. They're opposites.

An oxymoron would be "unbiased opinion" or "Peacekeeper Missile".

Spontaneous grammar lessons rule.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
thedrop2zer0 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Personally, I can't wait for a re-release of the PC ports of FFVII through FFIX
There was no PC port of FFIX. Only FFVII and VIII.
And FFXI...
But yes, I would love to get my hands on a PC copy of FFVII again.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Square Enix Inc. CEO John Yamamoto stated, "...Steam is one of the many steps we are taking to increase accessibility for fans in North America and PAL territories."

http://www.edge-online.com/news/square-enix-heads-steam

Hopefully that hints at more multiplatform releases. As someone without a current gen console I'd like to see more SE games on PC. However Last Remnant will show how committed they are to the platform, as apparently its a technologically broken game. If they put the effort in to fix the graphics issues then maybe there could be a bright future for the company on PC. I'd like to see SE become a driving force in the industry again.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Sounds like they picked something to try the ice with. If it's a success, they might dump other stuff into steam as well.