Rock Band Vid Lands Librarians In Trouble

Feb 13, 2008
Rock Band Vid Lands Librarians In Trouble

Some Nebraska librarians have gotten in trouble for posting a YouTube video of themselves playing Rock Band.

The offending video, found by "a taxpayer," featured the librarians setting up a PlayStation 2, then playing Rock Band and Dance Dance Revolution. Upon finding such damning evidence, the concerned citizen reported it to their council and an eleven page audit was formed which breaks down what the State Auditor calls "significant deficiencies" with taxpayer money.

Fingers were wagged at the librarians for their naughtiness, but what exactly did they do wrong? The Director of Nebraska Library Commission, Rob Wagner, says the library system is branching out into videogames to bring more young people into the libraries and the workers did nothing wrong.

After investigating the Library Commissions' funds, Nebraska State Auditor Mike Foley(not the wrestler) said, "Sure enough it was state money that was used. It was state employees on state time during work hours playing with and setting up a PlayStation videogame system." As a result of the fuss, the games and system are now sitting in the closet - clearly a far better use of state tax dollars.

Source: G4TV [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693508/Nebraska-Librarians-In-Hot-Water-Over-Rock-Band.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed]

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I reside in this general area and I can tell you on local news they repeatedly call the game they are playing "Guitar Heroes".

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Well if it was an approved action I dont think anyone needs to get all hyped up about a $300 dollar item.

I mean as far as misused taxpayers money is concerned, you could find a whole lot "less productive" and expensive things, then inciting kids to get excited about reading and libraries.

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
"As a result of the fuss, the games and system are now sitting in the closet - clearly a far better use of state tax dollars."

Principled people with principled reactions usually make counter-intuitive results.

Lima

Jun 18, 2007
ace_of_something said:
I reside in this general area and I can tell you on local news they repeatedly call the game they are playing "Guitar Heroes".
Nice to know these concerned citizens can get the name right. (eye roll)

What else are these librarians going to do all day... Check in and out books people aren't reading? It's an awesome yet outdated medium; at least this would get kids interested in a place where books are also an option.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Would them reading library books while they aren't checking anyone out get all the library books thrown in a closet?

y'know, just asking.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
My god, You would have thought, from the way this report goes, that they blew it all on cocaine and hookers. While I hate those music games (mainly because I suck at them), there are worse ways for a librarian to spend his/her time than playing a videogame when they're sick of setting up cardboard cutout promos for Harry Potter and Twilight.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Wait, how did this "taxpayer" see a video of librarians setting up and playing a Playstation, and somehow know that the console in question was bought with taxpayer money? Perhaps they bought it with...(and follow me closely on this)...their own money? Money they received, perhaps, from paychecks...for being librarians?

Sounds to me like this so-called "taxpayer" had some inside information and was out to get these guys.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I disagree with the workers using taxpayers money to pay for it, as was stated in the article above. I also disagree with the game being played during work hours. However, that's all that's wrong here. There's no problem with them playing the game during their lunch break or whatever (half the time when I visit a Game or Gamestation store here in the UK, I see in the backroom through an open door half finished games on pause while I'm being served at the counter. Usually when there's no-one requiring service the staff play the games during their breaks). I actually worked for a week in a local library three years ago for a work experience placement, and most of it was pretty boring, when there was nobody actually using the library services. It was the same when I worked in the school library during my time at high school. Therefore I don't see what's so wrong with these people doing something fun when they get the chance, provided it doesn't affect their actual work performance (unless the effects are beneficial somehow...). In fact, why not have a new system at the library, while we're at it? Many libraries have music and DVD loaning systems, and these have proven to be a great hit (especially at the library I worked at). Why not do the same with video games? That would definitely bring more young people in, and then the staff could use the opportunity to promote reading as well.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
When my library decided to integrate gaming, thanks to my lobbying, there were no such shenanigans! Because, you know, I'm a gamer and I knew how to do this crap.

If they want to offer these games as part of their programs, and they no absolutely zip about them, then they have to learn. It's not like they bought the stuff for their own enjoyment and was just goofing off.

But then again, what I am saying is logical, and in politics logic is not allowed.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Trivun said:
I disagree with the workers using taxpayers money to pay for it, as was stated in the article above. I also disagree with the game being played during work hours. However, that's all that's wrong here. There's no problem with them playing the game during their lunch break or whatever (half the time when I visit a Game or Gamestation store here in the UK, I see in the backroom through an open door half finished games on pause while I'm being served at the counter. Usually when there's no-one requiring service the staff play the games during their breaks). I actually worked for a week in a local library three years ago for a work experience placement, and most of it was pretty boring, when there was nobody actually using the library services. It was the same when I worked in the school library during my time at high school. Therefore I don't see what's so wrong with these people doing something fun when they get the chance, provided it doesn't affect their actual work performance (unless the effects are beneficial somehow...). In fact, why not have a new system at the library, while we're at it? Many libraries have music and DVD loaning systems, and these have proven to be a great hit (especially at the library I worked at). Why not do the same with video games? That would definitely bring more young people in, and then the staff could use the opportunity to promote reading as well.
I think the idea is that they are going to use the games as part of their programming: letting people come in and play them and all. I'm thinking they were experimenting with the game because they had no experience with games and gaming, or very little, and wanted to expand their know-how.

Again, there is no possible way the Library would purchase this for staff enjoyment. Libraries do not care about staff enjoyment, not even a little. I know this because I work at one. Chances are they couldn't even get the funds for the equipment until they somehow proved it would make their Director or Board Members look like freakin' revolutionaries and progressive heroes.

barryween

Apr 17, 2008
Well, as long as they were not ignoring students, it does not matter what they do with their down time.

ChickDangerous

Feb 8, 2009
Well how else are they supposed to recommend games or discuss gaming options with people coming into the library if they aren't familiar with the product or even know how to set it up so that it can be used by actual library patrons? Silliness!

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
I'll bet the entire time they played that game, not a single person visited the library, dare I say the librarians don't always have their hands full!

Speaking about wastes of taxpayer money, how about that war in the middle east?

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
The library should have invested in a Wii, to get their employees more excercise.

And the guy who reported them is an asshole. Unfortunately, there almost always will be an asshole to spoil all the fun.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
People shouldn't screw around like that during working hours, but something tells me it wouldn't have been nearly as big a deal if they got busted watching TV or reading a book instead.