Man Holds Woman Hostage With Light Gun

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Man Holds Woman Hostage With Light Gun

A man in Brazil successfully held a 60-year-old woman hostage for ten hours, threatening her with a deadly Sega Light Phaser.

Looking to collect on a debt, a man in Brazil's Federal District broke into the house of a 60-year-old woman, brandishing the most intimidating-looking weapon he could think of: The Light Phaser, the gun that accompanied Sega's Master System console. Considering that Brazil was one of Sega's biggest markets for the Genesis' predecessor, it's no small surprise that the man was able to acquire one.

Of course, given that Brazil was one of Sega's biggest markets for the Genesis' predecessor, it is surprising that none of the policemen involved in the 10-hour standoff recognized the damn thing: "Hey Paulo, didn't we have one of things when we were kids? How's he threatening her with it? It's not even plugged into the console!"

Perhaps even more surprising is the fact that once the man surrendered to police and released his hostage unharmed, he revealed he also had a pair of genuinely deadly knives. Why he didn't use them before is anyone's guess, though I guess a sharp blade isn't anywhere nearly as intimidating as black plastic.

(Kotaku [http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/Brasil/0,,MUL1013075-5598,00-POLICIA+DIVULGA+IMAGENS+DE+RENDICAO+DE+SEQUESTRADOR+NO+DISTRITO+FEDERAL.html])

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm trying really hard not to laugh. What an asshole, what a hilarious, hilarious asshole.

MaxFan

Nov 15, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I'm trying really hard not to laugh. What an asshole, what a hilarious, hilarious asshole.
I'm completely failing, myself. This is funny in the most screwed up way.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Hence why the seemingly retarded regs exist in the US that gun-shaped things have to have identifiers on them. Of course, speaking as someone who spraypainted a water pistol black...

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
If it were plugged in he could've threatened her with the warning that her eyesight could've possibly been damaged if he were aiming just right!

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
That's nothing I once robbed a bank with one of these:

And I got a small African nation to surrender to me when I pulled this sucker:

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
It's funny that he thought it was a good idea, but what's even funnier is that it worked! What were the police doing, playing Sonic?

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
OOh, you think the US regs are bad?!

GyroCaptain said:
Hence why the seemingly retarded regs exist in the US that gun-shaped things have to have identifiers on them. Of course, speaking as someone who spraypainted a water pistol black...
Come over to the UK! You need to be over 18 to get an airsoft gun at all, and a registered member of UKARA to get one that isn't 50% some random colour.

Of course, we all know that criminals will obey these laws over toy guns to the letter. -.-

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
I'm wondering if due to the current economic turmoil if he couldn't afford a real gun?

Shadow Law

Feb 16, 2009
I bet a couple kids near there walked by and saw what was happening and tried telling the police that wasn't a real gun but thought it would be funny as hell to see the whole thing play out.

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
Stage 2: Escape from custody pronto with a Logitech Driving Force EX Steering Wheel

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I must be such a stick in the mud. I just can't see the funny here. The guy's got some stones, sure, and that's amusing, but in the intensity of an attack and a hostage situation that's the kind of thing that can be easily overlooked. And even if someone says, yo, I think that's a Sega light gun, you can't act on that information unless you're 100 percent sure that's what it is.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Malygris said:
I must be such a stick in the mud. I just can't see the funny here. The guy's got some stones, sure, and that's amusing, but in the intensity of an attack and a hostage situation that's the kind of thing that can be easily overlooked. And even if someone says, yo, I think that's a Sega light gun, you can't act on that information unless you're 100 percent sure that's what it is.
"Psst. Commander."
"What is it Jose?"
"I think that's a toy gun?"
"How can you tell?"
"I can see the power lead sticking out the bottom. Pepe, our sniper, says he can see it's still plugged in."
"GET HIM!"