Replica BioShock Syringe Is Eerily Realistic

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Replica BioShock Syringe Is Eerily Realistic

Remember the guy who made that absurdly realistic Portal gun [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88844] way back when? This time around he's taken it on himself to build a Little Sister's ADAM syringe from BioShock, and it's just as amazingly close to the object in the game.

Harrison Krix, a prop designer from Atlanta, once made a replica Portal gun for his girlfriend. As it turns out, Krix doesn't just do this stuff to make his ladyfriend happy, he gets a real kick out of making in-game objects into real-life replicas. For his ADAM [http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2009/02/bioshock-little-sister-adam-syringe.html] syringe, those creepy devices the Little Sisters in BioShock would use to harvest (and then drink) precious ADAM out of dead bodies.

Krix started with the pump and handle of the syringe, which he noted was modeled in the game after 1920's era gasoline pumps. Guess there are a lot of old-timey gasoline scraps lying around Atlanta, because Krix found his own pump, circa 1926, to use in his project. After that, he found a glass container to hold his "ADAM," added a cap to the end of the handle, and then stuck on the needle, which he built from a foot-long piece of PVC.

"The end is chamfered like a real syringe would be, although one this size is a little disturbing," Krix described. "It's alarmingly sharp."

From there, he built some LED lights into the ADAM chamber to give his ADAM (which he made with red dye, hairgel and water) that freshly-harvested-from-human-flesh glow. For the piece de resistance, he attached a baby bottle nipple to the ADAM chamber, so you can pretend to drink the ADAM just like a Little Sister would. After that, it was just a matter of adding weathering effects to make the thing look like it'd been around the block of a failed underwater utopia.

Krix takes commissions, so if you really, really want one of these, you can get in touch with him here [http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/]. I doubt this'll be as popular as the Portal gun, which he says he's already made four more of, but I'm sure there are some freaks out there who are really into needles.

[Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/this-little-sister-s-syringe-could-suck-up-a-king-s-ransom-in-adam-122940.phtml]]

(Image [http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/3307454546_fef03db1c0.jpg])

Limos

Jun 15, 2008
If he can make a Shish-kebab that is actually capable of setting itself on fire, then hell yes. That is what he needs to make next.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
i dont see why this guy doesnt sell some of the stuff he makes. he would be rich in no time.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
That is it. I'm finally going to take adventage of all the years of junk that I have brought home on impulse (My yard isn't too far from looking like it's straight out of fallout 3), along with all the welding and metal working equipment I have, to create the most awsome videogame prop evar!

P.S. Any ideas as to what would me the most awsome(not impossable) videogame replica prop ever?

Edit: Does anyone have a detailed picture of the missile launcher from Fallout 3? I'm pretty sure I have everything to make one(including the extra time on my hands), but I can't find any large or detailed enough pictures to make out all the necissary details. Plus, if all the potato cannons I built have taught me anything, I might be able to make it shoot just about anything.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Ok, that's creepy, yet awesome.
I mean, the quality of this stuff is amazing! How on earth does he make this stuff...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
This guy is a genius. I heard that a Bioshock movie is being made by Universal using the techniques from 300 to create the setting of Rapture. It's due for release next year. This guy should try getting in contact with them, maybe work alongside Universal to make some of the props for it (such as, of course, the ADAM syringe). In fact, he should probably set up his own company making game props, and doing it for video game films whenever they get released (whether as props or promotional material...). He could make a fortune.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
TMAN10112 said:
That is it. I'm finally going to take adventage of all the years of junk that I have brought home on impulse (My yard isn't too far from looking like it's straight out of fallout 3), along with all the welding and metal working equipment I have, to create the most awsome videogame prop evar!

P.S. Any ideas as to what would me the most awsome(not impossable) videogame replica prop ever?
Full set of MJOLNIR armour.

N.B. Sorry for the double post.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Trivun said:
TMAN10112 said:

Full set of MJOLNIR armour.

N.B. Sorry for the double post.
I already thought about that. The problem is that it would be too heavy, and you can't use thinner sheet metal because it would be far too bendable. I have a cousin who works with special metal-resin mixtures to craft replica swords, knives and such who could possibly craft the armour plates, but it's far out of my leage.

I'm aiming more twords something that can be crafted out of pipes, car or tractor parts, and the large amounts if random scrap that I have laying around. I'm thinking about something a bit more fallout 3/post apocolyptic themed.

Still looking for suggestions.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
He should make the Gravity-Gun [http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/image/norica/government-blank-pistol.jpg] from Half Life. If he did that I would recgonize him as supreme ruler of the universe. +1 cool point to him if it actually works.

TMAN10112 said:
Still looking for suggestions.
Feel free to use the grav gun idea if you actually have the junk to make it happen.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
TMAN10112 said:

See if you can make the Lion Gauntlets from GoW III.

If so, they face much the same problem as with the MJOLNIR armour.