Dead Space Wii Using MotionPlus

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Dead Space Wii Using MotionPlus

Electronic Arts will be incorporating the Wii's special motion sensing technology in its upcoming on-rail shooter set in the Dead Space universe.

MTV Multiplayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89534-EA-Announces-Wii-Exclusive-Dead-Space-Extraction-UPDATED].

Though Dead Space fans might be expecting about as much out of an on-rails shooter on the Wii as Metal Gear Solid fans are of the similar treatment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89601-Metal-Gear-Solid-Touch-Details-Emerge] Metal Gear Solid 4 is getting on the iPhone, Papotsis is quick to assert that this won't be your typical House of the Dead-style shoot-reload-shoot fest, saying it's not just an FPS but "a Guided First Person Experience" in which you'll get to explore multiple paths through levels.

He also mentioned that the game will feature some other game mechanics from the first Dead Space, including the Stasis ability that slows down objects and enemies, and the Telekinesis ability that grants you the power to move around objects in space. Considering that the Wii Remote is already pretty good at letting you point and shoot at things on screen, I'd imagine that this is where the MotionPlus' advanced motion sensing tech, which reads movement in 3-D and allows 1:1 accuracy, would come into play.

[Via GameCyte [http://www.gamecyte.com/ea-confirms-motionplus-support-for-dead-space-wii]]

TheBXRabbit

Feb 15, 2009
Dead Space. On Rails. With Wii graphics. Did someone move April Fools Day early, or maybe EA has a messed up calendar? God I hope so, because if this is real it looks like it might break the record for quickest franchise murder.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
TheBXRabbit said:
Dead Space. On Rails. With Wii graphics. Did someone move April Fools Day early, or maybe EA has a messed up calendar? God I hope so, because if this is real it looks like it might break the record for quickest franchise murder.
Rail shooters aren't that bad. This could potentially be good. But we would have to wait and see. Besides Wii Motion plus is a very solid addition to the Wii-mote.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
TheBXRabbit said:
Dead Space. On Rails.
If you think about it the majority of games are on rails, most are just hidden better.

TheBXRabbit said:
With Wii graphics.
So?
TheBXRabbit said:
...maybe EA has a messed up calendar?
Isn't that rhetorical?

TheBXRabbit said:
God I hope so, because if this is real it looks like it might break the record for quickest franchise murder.
Why how admirably presumptuous of you. If I lived in a world where I believed everything would be crap, I'd wonder why my head is so far up my rectum.

On topic, stating your Wii game will be using motion controls seems rather redundant. It's like clapping yourself on the back for stating a Dead Space game will take place in the Dead Space universe. It's assumed that a Wii game will use the motion controls, no matter how inept they are.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Why would you need another expensive periperal like MotionPlus while the Wii pointer should be enough to play this?

Anyway, I do not agree with most of the complaints I think it's a good thing that the on-rails shooter genre is having a revival on the Wii. The games may lack the depth of normal FPS's but they are still a lot of fun.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
TheBXRabbit said:
Dead Space. On Rails.
If you think about it the majority of games are on rails, most are just hidden better.

TheBXRabbit said:
With Wii graphics.
So?
TheBXRabbit said:
Isn't that rhetorical?

TheBXRabbit said:
God I hope so, because if this is real it looks like it might break the record for quickest franchise murder.
Why how admirably presumptuous of you. If I lived in a world where I believed everything would be crap, I'd wonder why my head is so far up my rectum.

On topic, stating your Wii game will be using motion controls seems rather redundant. It's like clapping yourself on the back for stating a Dead Space game will take place in the Dead Space universe. It's assumed that a Wii game will use the motion controls, no matter how inept they are.
Wii Motion Plus is an attachment for the Wii-mote. I think you completely misunderstood what they said on that part.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
Rail shooters aren't that bad. This could potentially be good. But we would have to wait and see. Besides Wii Motion plus is a very solid addition to the Wii-mote.
True, but Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles has already been made, this looks more like that game -Mr X every day.

TheBXRabbit

Feb 15, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
TheBXRabbit said:
Dead Space. On Rails.

TheBXRabbit said:
With Wii graphics.
So?
TheBXRabbit said:
Isn't that rhetorical?

TheBXRabbit said:

Obviously my original message has been horribly misinterpreted. I enjoy the Wii. And I honestly liked Dead Space, it's probably my favorite survival horror game. But I don't think the two will work well together.

There's even precedent. Dead Rising was a fun game, but it was pretty crappy on the Wii due to the system being unable to have as many zombies on the screen, as well as a smorgasbord of other cut corners. Wii MotionPlus is all fine and dandy, but making it a rail shooter still means that you can't look around for bonus' or extras, and the game will completely control the pace at which you go through it. I also think that rail shooters are infamous for always having plentiful ammo, which while not always being a bad thing, doesn't seem like it would work for Dead Space.

Oh, and one more thing. Dissecting someone's post, splitting it up, and commenting on each separate part makes you look like even more of a pompous ass than you think I am. And there is a difference between a game that is on rails and what's called "linear gameplay". As technology advances games have been able to move away from the on rails "shoot before they shoot you" method of survival, to the linear method of giving players a set path but letting them look at what they want, move through it how they want, etc. And even better is sandbox/nonlinear games which give you an objective and let you complete it (or not) however you please. That's what I think the next step in games is, being able to do whatever you want within an environment. And putting games on rails just feels like a step backwards.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
TheBXRabbit said:
Obviously my original message has been horribly misinterpreted.
A typical problem among individuals, especially given the anonymity and obscurity of written words on an internet forum. A face to face conversation is always better.

TheBXRabbit said:
Dead Rising was a fun game, but it was pretty crappy on the Wii due to the system being unable to have as many zombies on the screen, as well as a smorgasbord of other cut corners. Wii MotionPlus is all fine and dandy, but making it a rail shooter still means that you can't look around for bonus' or extras, and the game will completely control the pace at which you go through it. I also think that rail shooters are infamous for always having plentiful ammo, which while not always being a bad thing, doesn't seem like it would work for Dead Space.
This I interpret as a slight console fanboyism. Typical argument for porting is the inferiority of other consoles. Actually, it seems calling it a port is technically wrong, considering it is an entirely different game. A prequel, I believe.

TheBXRabbit said:
Oh, and one more thing. Dissecting someone's post, splitting it up, and commenting on each separate part makes you look like even more of a pompous ass than you think I am.
While, yes, I do do that it is for more reasons that you might think. I tend to extract what little bits I am responding to, and if there are numerous statements then I split it up. It makes it easier, for me at least, compared to reading a full page quote and trying to determine what it is exactly the reader is responding to. It is typical for the majority of my posts to carry a degree or sardonicism, typically arising from that anonymity I spoke of earlier.

TheBXRabbit

Feb 15, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
TheBXRabbit said:
Oh, and one more thing. Dissecting someone's post, splitting it up, and commenting on each separate part makes you look like even more of a pompous ass than you think I am.
While, yes, I do do that it is for more reasons that you might think. I tend to extract what little bits I am responding to, and if there are numerous statements then I split it up. It makes it easier, for me at least, compared to reading a full page quote and trying to determine what it is exactly the reader is responding to. It is typical for the majority of my posts to carry a degree or sardonicism, typically arising from that anonymity I spoke of earlier.
All it seems to be from my end is you ripping posts apart so that you can put the quote into whatever context you think is best to diss the person who originally made the post. Again with the whole "pompous ass" thing. And no, I'm not a fanboy. I think each console has it's own strengths and weaknesses that when averaged out make them incredibly balanced, but because of those strengths and weaknesses, some types of games just don't work well on certain systems. THAT was my point. So stop dissecting, state your opinion (if you haven't already), and be done with it.