The 25 Most Badass Boss-Baddies Battles

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The 25 Most Badass Boss-Baddies Battles

Boss battles are a staple of videogaming, and a great boss fight can single-handedly turn a good game into an awesome one - a game that people will remember through the ages, and these are 25 of the finest bosses around.

Ever since the days where Mario first jumped onto the axe to send Bowser plummeting to molten doom, boss fights have been an integral part of the videogame experience. Sometimes they're there to put a capstone on the story, sometimes they exist simply to test all the skills that the player has honed over the rest of the level (or game). Sometimes they do both.

You know a great boss fight when you see one. It's the sort of experience that leaves you with an adrenaline rush and dying to talk to somebody about the experience - unfortunately, it's the sort of experience that's difficult to share with someone who isn't a gamer, or who hasn't played the game. When talking with a fellow gamer who knows what you're talking about, though, it's the sort of experience that can lead to an instant connection even if you've only just met.

Our colleagues at 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3173294] have compiled a list of their 25 favorite boss fights of all time (Warning: Spoilers!) along with some handy-dandy video footage of said fights. I can't say I agree with all of their choices - I'd put Colossus #13 on there over #1, for instance - but overall, it's a pretty fantastic list. You've got your standards - Lavos, Mother Brain, that one giant dude from Serious Sam, MGS3's The Boss - and some I'd have never even thought of (like Rez).

What do you guys think? Is this a definitive top 25? What's missing that deserves to be there?

(1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3173294])
(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/21794922@N06/2106297990/])

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
Oh god... Seven Force from Gunstar Heroes is on that list... that boss was freakin HARD.
Any way, that list seems pretty accurate I have no qualms with it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Metroid Prime... METROID BASTARD PRIME?!

No offense to the two part glowing squid monster, but after Meta Ridley it was a piece of piss.
The Ridley fight's pretty unique in Metroid Prime as there's nowhere to run, in all the other fights you can keep some distance between you and 'it', but Ridley was constantly in your face (trying to tear it off). The near total lack of health pickups made it rock hard too.

Other than that no complaints...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Is The End, that sniper dude from MGS3 on there? Because that is the ONLY boss battle that ever made me go squee and wanna play it over.

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Now I wont say it was better than (many) of these but if it stretched back to maybe 30 Sephiroth need to make an appearance. Ha and The devil from Guitar Hero III I bragged to plenty when I beat him

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Metroid Prime... METROID BASTARD PRIME?!

No offense to the two part glowing squid monster, but after Meta Ridley it was a piece of piss.
The Ridley fight's pretty unique in Metroid Prime as there's nowhere to run, in all the other fights you can keep some distance between you and 'it', but Ridley was constantly in your face (trying to tear it off). The near total lack of health pickups made it rock hard too.

Other than that no complaints...
What baffles me is they praise the "shoot him with the same colored beam" mechanic. Which not only served as a pointless excuse to make you switch weapons through out the fight, but it always, always, ALWAYS happened as you sent a charged beam at it's face.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
i don't agree with quite a few of them, but i guess it's a good list

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I haven't ever played (or heard of) most of the games on that list.

I'm a little surprised the Doom2 "boss" didn't make the cut. That was a pretty hard fight to win... at least without constantly saving and loading on "the critical spot".

As far as memorable boss fights go, in "Vampire, the Masquerade: Bloodlines", the fight against the Kuei-Jin woman isn't particularly hard, but it does make you go WTF!?!?!?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm glad they have the Luca Blight boss battle on there, I really can't think of a better RPG boss battle. So Badass.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
WoW? What? SKILL of 40 players?

If by skill = item and level grinding, then yeah... But that's a weird definition of "skill".

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
BigDragun987 said:
Now I wont say it was better than (many) of these but if it stretched back to maybe 30 Sephiroth need to make an appearance. Ha and The devil from Guitar Hero III I bragged to plenty when I beat him
You better have beat him on expert or your not a God/sad enough. ;)
My best badass boss is probably is probably Jecht from Final Fantasy 10, just because of the awesome music in the background

HazukiHawkins

Mar 3, 2009
I have to say, I'm not impressed by that list. Such things will always be highly subjective, of course, but I would have mentioned the final guardian monster thingy in Clive Barker's Undying, among others... huge, lethal, and it takes perhaps ten minutes to kill IF you've got some good ammo and several effective spells fully empowered.

What else... perhaps Zilla from Shadow Warrior? A nasty little man in a huge robotic samurai suit, shooting barrages of homing missiles at you while chasing you around a giant teeter-totter over a long drop down a volcano?

I definitely wouldn't have mentioned World of Warcraft... MMORPG bosses just don't come as vivid or palpable as single player ones, at least in my opinion.

Deus Ex's Walton Simons was pretty awesome to fight too, on Realistic difficulty at least...

EDIT: Vukodlak in Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. A tough boss and a good ending, unless you played as a monstrous fiend of course. The Vohzd (or Vozhd, or whatever) at the end of the dark ages half of the game was pretty gnarly, too -literally! And figuratively.

Montgomery_Burns

Mar 13, 2009
The bosses from the .hack series were bitches.
You had to kill them, then use a special ability on them(and if you didn't, they'd be back to half of their health) then kill them again.
My longest bossfight was roughly 2 hours.

HazukiHawkins

Mar 3, 2009
Montgomery_Burns said:
The bosses from the .hack series were bitches.
You had to kill them, then use a special ability on them(and if you didn't, they'd be back to half of their health) then kill them again.
My longest bossfight was roughly 2 hours.
Oh, yeah... I remember fighting Cubia. About five times. Not sure why they thought that would be a good idea, at least the surrounding scenery is kind of nice, I guess...?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Oh, oh, I've just remembered the best fight I've seen.

Saren fights in Mass Effect. I mean, at the end.