EA Gives Away Free DLC For C&C Generals

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Gives Away Free DLC For C&C Generals

In celebration of its sixth anniversary, Command & Conquer Generals [http://www.ea.com].

Originally intended to be the third mission in the Global Liberation Army campaign, the "controversial" Black Sheep mission was ultimately cut from the game and has never before been played outside of EA confines. In the mission, players are given control of the "Toxin Tractor," a slow-moving vehicle that sprays a deadly corrosive agent, and ordered to eliminate an entire town that has been "corrupted beyond salvation."

I'm guessing it was all that genocide stuff that led to the removal of the mission in the original release, but there's been a lot of water under the al-Sarafiya bridge over the past six years and I guess that kind of thing is okay now. Installation is simple: Download the mission, extract the file to the Generals Maps data folder, then run the game, enter Skirmish mode and select Unofficial maps, where the new mission should be listed.

Sure, it's only one mission and C&C Generals is a six-year-old game, but it's held up pretty well over the years, and more importantly, this is free stuff! Grab your copy of Black Sheep here [http://www.commandandconquer.com/portal/site/cnc/article/detail;jsessionid=65F1E1CE2E8A249F710353F882480907.ea-e-h-p-del1-1?contentId=a7004223c8faf110VgnVCM100000100d2c0aRCRD].

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/27/free-dlc-for-2003s-command-and-conquer-generals/]

Damn Dirty Ape

Oct 10, 2007
How is this more controversial then darting everybody with toxic so they lure tiberium creeps in their homes.. killing everybody in the C&C tiberian sun expansion?

DarthHK

Jan 3, 2009
So a GLA mission involving using toxic tractors is controversial, but hi-jacking an American missile to load it with a toxic warhead and destroying an entire city with it is fine?

*shrugs* Oh, well... at least I still have that disc somewhere.

*EDIT*
Played it, thoroughly disappointing. I fail to see the point of the toxin tractors when there's a "pharmaceutical company's" building in the middle of the map that wipes out half of the "traitors" which then unlocks the Anthrax bomb to use to kill the other half.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
The most controversial thing about this is EA giving away something for free.
I suspect viruses or mind control.
Hellgate-esque trojan horses, IMO.

Archindar

Jul 28, 2008
Yay Generals. It's one of those games that feels like it has been forgotten by the gaming society.

I have allways liked the rts games made Westwood.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Ah, how I love the toxic tractor. What better way to clear fortified buildings than by poisoning the occupants to death?

It is funny how they thought this mission was taking it too far. The only reason 80% of people played this game was for some therapeutic retaliation against evil foreign stereotypes. But showing them as genocidal in addition to their bomb-happy crazy? Too far, too far...