Final Fantasy IV Sequel Coming To WiiWare

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Final Fantasy IV Sequel Coming To WiiWare

The ESRB has rated a game called Final Fantasy IV: The After Years for the Wii, suggesting that the episodic FFIV sequel will be coming to WiiWare this year.

The After, which tells the story of FFIV heroes Cecil and Rosa's son Ceodore and was written and directed by the original director of the first game, was released in episodic form on mobile phones in Japan. About a month ago, rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89008] appeared that the title might be getting a Xbox Live Arcade port when some mysterious URLs on the Japanese Xbox site showed up mentioning FFIV.

Now the ESRB seems to be refuting those rumors, as it has posted a rating description for a game called Final Fantasy IV: The After Years for the Wii. "This is a 2D role-playing game in which players embark on an adventure involving magical crystals and a mysterious kingdom," the description reads. "Players traverse across a field map or through dungeons and can enter into turn-based battles along the way." The ESRB goes on to note the use of an item called "Bacchus Wine" in the game. Alcohol reference alert!

Since The After isn't exactly a full game proper but an episodic series, it stands to reason that it would be work well on Nintendo's WiiWare service for downloadable titles. WiiWare's no stranger to episodic content, having already played host to Telltale Games' series of Strong Bad games.

The question, then, is how Square and Nintendo plan to dole out the installments, which were released at the rate of once a month and over the course of a year in Japan. That seems a bit extravagant for Western markets, not to mention that that format was well-suited to cell phones, and the Wii's a totally different ball game.

Further confusing things is the fact the ESRB has rated the game as a whole, and not as a single episode or a series. So maybe we'll be getting a full game, maybe we'll be getting episodes, maybe we'll be getting episodes and then a full game. But we're definitely getting something, which old-school Final Fantasy fans should be happy about.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Onmi said:
EmileeElectro said:
How much money do Square Enix need?!
Whats wrong with being successful?
Nothing, I mean to say they should focus on making new games instead of remaking old ones. This remake will make FFVII fans witter about a remake too, as they did with the DS remakes.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Hmm, I have never really played Final Fantasy IV, mostly because I have never really considered myself a retro gamer. But maybe this sequel will be good enough to give me warrant to purchase the first Final Fantasy IV; however, that all depends on if they tell a seperate story from the original game, or expect the player to have background knoweldge of the original game, and the plot that goes with it, because I am not one for going into a story halfway through.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Sounds pretty good and I loved all those old school final fantasy. I think I might even have IV on my SNES.

TheWickerPopstar

Dec 6, 2007
Good to know that the berserk status is sticking around. I guess.

It's also funny that they have to specify that it's a 2D RPG. When I see 2D nowadays, I think side-scrolling. But alas, it just means old-school. Can it cost 500 points on WiiWare? I have 500 points that I just don't know what to do with.