BioWare Opens New Studio In Montreal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Opens New Studio In Montreal

Mass Effect 2 [http://www.bioware.com].

The new team will work in the existing Mass Effect [http://www.eamontreal.com/] veterans, will be transfered from BioWare's Edmonton studio, while the remainder will be new hires.

"We're really excited about it, and we think it's going to be a huge opportunity to tap into the talent base in Montreal while supplementing our existing teams in Edmonton and Austin, which are doing some great stuff on all the other projects BioWare's working on," Muzyka said. "The growth we're seeing in Montreal is aligned with what [EA CEO] John Riccitiello laid out as the goals; we're still investing in innovations and new IPs that EA's going to support."

BioWare already has a full plate with Mass Effect 2, Xbox 360 [http://dragonage.bioware.com/] and PC editions.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
[quote/]He added that Mass Effect 2 would hopefully be ready for release in the first quarter of 2010[/quote]

Quite a while to go then...

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
As an Edmontonian, opening this studio is like being slapped in the face with my dead dog, and the bumper of the truck that killed him...

Oh fine, I never had a dog, but the feeling is the same. Why Montreal? It's in Quebec! That's not even in Canada. I just don't know what's worse, Montreal, or if they had they opened in Calgary.
So which country is it in? Ooh, do we have Quebec? Is it the 51st state? Shoot, this is really going to screw up the flag.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
So what you're saying is, that starting a studio in Quebec is akin to starting one in outer space?

Khell_Sennet said:
A bit more on-topic, how are the Montreal studio programmers going to make games? Does C++ even understand French?
Burn-tastic.

Nugoo

Jan 25, 2008
As a Montrealer, I think this is bloody awesome! Not exactly a bad place for an internship, come summer.

As for the Montreal jokes, I can't say I'm surprised. Quebec is to the rest Canada what Canada is to the US in terms of reputation. That being said, Montreal is undoubtedly the video game capital of Canada; we've got EA, Ubisoft, and Eidos, plus a ton of smaller ones. Apparently Quebec is very friendly to video game companies, tax policy wise.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Mister Benoit said:
Wow as a Montrealer I must say i'm surprised by all the hate, pretty lame.
It's not hate, it's three parts sarcastic jab, two parts good-natured ribbing, with a dash of rubbing your face in past actions.
The French are so funny, absolutely love living here.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Mister Benoit said:
Wow as a Montrealer I must say i'm surprised by all the hate, pretty lame.
It's not hate, it's three parts sarcastic jab, two parts good-natured ribbing, with a dash of rubbing your face in past actions.
And yet Montreal is still miles better then wherever you live. :) And Canadiens is essentially the french way of spelling Canadian. GHASP.

But yeah the whole separatist shit is bullshit. Every time we get some "Jean Guy Pepin" in office he starts talking about referendum and then all the Franco-Rednecks get all excited and then they get outvoted again and it goes back to normal... for a while. Most of the French people I know are like "Why separate? It's so stupid."