Watchmen MMOG Coming To iPhone

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Watchmen MMOG Coming To iPhone

Okay, Alan Moore [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89801-Alan-Moore-Talks-About-The-Significance-Of-The-Superhero] would definitely not be happy with this. Warner Bros has announced that Watchmen: Justice Is Coming, a MMO-fighting game for the iPhone, will arrive later this month.

Watchmen: Justice Is Coming [http://www.watchmenjusticeiscoming.com/] takes place in the 1970's of Watchmen lore, during which masked vigilantism has been outlawed. What to do when you don't have masked crazies protecting you? Become one yourself. Players get to design their own vigilante using a costume editor, after which they'll enter the online world and get to street fighting with other players.

"Average citizens evolve into fully equipped costumed avengers by completing unique challenges, exploring the universe and battling enemies," Warner Bros said.

Judging by the screenshots, it looks like you navigate the online world from an isometric perspective and run into other players lounging around, who you can challenge in a fight. During battles player health is represented by big yellow life bars at the top of the screen, just like in Street Fighter or any other fighting game. It also looks like you can customize your skills as well with different fighting styles, attributes and stats.

So, it's kind of like an iPhone mini-MMOG where you duke it out with other players and enemies fighting game style? Warner Bros' press release doesn't even seem sure of how to describe Justice Is Coming, describing it as a "multiplayer online adventure fighting game." The game will make use of developer Last Legion's cloudMMO technology, which uses Amazon's cloud computing services to drive the multiplayer action.

Watchmen: The End Is Nigh was one thing ($20 price point aside), since it actually stars characters from the Watchmen story. This just seems like a game that happens to be set in the Watchmen universe because the movie's about to come out. Alan Moore is probably burning his iPhone as we speak. That's if he even has one - that guy probably still uses a typewriter.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
major movie production company in milking franchise aimed at technologically savvy audience demographic shocker

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
As much as I would love to feel shocked at this. I kind of saw it coming. Warner Bros saw the money involved in the iphone and wanted a cut, like the greedy buggers they are.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
I dunno, the game doesn't sound too bad... Maybe a little like City of Heroes since you can design your own character.... It probably didn't need the Watchmen name slapped on it though...

It will only get worse before it gets any better... There's already the Watchmen brand coffee available on amazon.com, and I'm sure that before it's all said and done we'll have Watchmen breakfast cereal, toilet paper, flavored tobacco, laxatives, feminine hygiene products, toaster strudel, and roadside emergency kits....

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that came out in the near future. Not one bit.

Moore probably has the Warner Bros suits' heads in his crosshairs as we speak, let's hope he doesn't miss.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
And remember, this isn't the worst one... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88002-Who-Plays-With-The-Watchmen]
'A worse attempt at a tie-in couldn't be made if you produced 'Babe' bacon sandwiches.'

Haha, I did have to laugh there. Grace, you've done it again!

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Keane Ng said:
Alan Moore is probably burning his iPhone as we speak. That's if he even has one - that guy probably still uses a typewriter.
I always pictured him as the kinda guy who would just bleed onto the paper and stare at it til it clotted in the right pattern.

Y'know, cause he kinda looks like Rasputin.
I hear that Alan Moore got his writing abilities from Satan.
Not for selling his soul, but because he kept beating Satan up and taking his lunch money, so Satan gave him writing powers to get Alan off his back.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Of course. The movies haven't yet been able to do their job in killing Alan Moore, so the studio had to bring out the big guns, the movie tie in video games.

And if the Watchmen games don't do the job (I understand they have Watchmen game watches ready to be tied into a Burger King Kids' meal as a final salvo), well then, I think Vivid Video is ready to issue a final blow with a video version of Lost Girls, but if that fails...well, then, I guess we can all concede the absolute power of Alan Moore, and convert to Glyconism...

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
What is this madness?!

Anyways, I saw this coming. The hell of movie games.

And the PC one looks pretty bad, too. Sigh...

DuncanRR

Nov 30, 2008
sheic99 said:
It seems that a lot of people forget about the Watchmen Pen & Paper game that Alan Moore helped write.
I was born in '89. Kinda hard for me to forget about something I never was involved with in the first place. I was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to comic books as well.

As for the videogame tie-ins: In the words of the immortal Mel Brooks, "Merchandising! Merchandising! Merchandising! Where the REAL money from the movie is made!"