Editor's Note: The Fanatic Issue

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Fanatic Issue

Have you ever been inordinately fond of something for reasons that defied rational explanation? Then you, in your own way, are Tootie from The Facts of Life.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
I don't understand these people who get fanatical about things. Why not just accept Doctor Who is the best programme ever?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
The way I see it there is a difference between being a fan and a fanboy/girl. If you just like something then you are a fan. If you insult and call anyone who disagrees with you biased then you're a fanboy/girl.

Indigo_Dingo said:
I thought we had all agreed that for the time being, the best console of all time just defaulted to the Ps2
If we're talking just total sales then yes I suppose you're right, otherwise I think that's debatable.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
A the PS2, definately my all time favorite console. I still have most of the 100+ games I bought for it from my initial purchase until now. In fact, I still have the original console I bought way back in 2002 and the bloody thing shows no signs of giving up, in spite of the abuse I've subjected it to.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Vectrex 4eva, noobs. (Honestly, sheer nostalgia and its current rarity do pique something of an interest in the old beast. If one became available, though, I do wonder if I'd still be interested.)

-- Steve

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Anton P. Nym said:
Vectrex 4eva, noobs. (Honestly, sheer nostalgia and its current rarity do pique something of an interest in the old beast. If one became available, though, I do wonder if I'd still be interested.)

-- Steve
Used to have one meself, and it certainly is a neat little thing. I also had a cart with every game ever released for the system, save one, which was handy. It lacked a wee something without the overlays, but the games were solid.

Jake Lockley

Apr 23, 2008
Read the book "Textual Poachers" by Henry Jenkins. It's a bit old now (pre-web) but it explains fandom and fanatics versus fans. In short the things we are fanatics about are core pieces of our identity - it's part of who we are as our tastes evolved/grew with our identity. The problem is we can't separate our tastes from the things we use to define ourselves. As a result we unknowingly become what we like and defend it as though it were our selves. If you want to stop being a fanboy then the trick is to recognize your tastes are not who you are, they are simply your opinion at a given point in time. Who you are is expressed by your individual culture, and culture is defined as values + processes. Your culture is your values and how you act on them. If your values are all about defending a brand that may not even exist in 5 to 10 years, what does that say about you?

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
i wish everyone kept it to themselves or at least respected other people about there likes and dislikes of something

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
The only thing I'm a fanboy about is the Sega Dreamcast.

And even then, I'm not really a fan, just someone who, with the power of logic, can explain why it was awesome and ahead of its time.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Well for me it's classical music. I really can't stand down when people say modern music is better. Games I couldn't care less... but classical I feel I have to defend (it's not easy either (sigh), everyone thinks differently to me about it...)

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I don't understand these people who get fanatical about things.
People develop a personal relationship with a certain franchise that's very popular. Much like having Mr. Croshaw stating that after his review of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, most of the people went to the Nintendo forums and turn the thread into massive posting that involves Mr. Croshaw's fanboys clashing with Super Smash Bros Brawl fans.

If that's worse, I don't know what would be considered worst? Hardcore fans?

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I don't understand these people who get fanatical about things. Why not just accept Doctor Who is the best programme ever?
Because Lost exists?
Lost absolutely sucks. It's pseudo-intellectual programming for people who want to feel clever just because they're watching a program which is badly plotted. Doctor Who is far superior, and frankly, Lost is one of the worst shows on television.

Go watch something with some actual intellectual value, or at least with a plot that isn't utterly incomprehensible for no reason at all. These new popular television shows are distinctly disappointing.
It's happening already...

quack35

Sep 1, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Because Lost exists?
You, my good man, are awesome.