New Zealand Mall Uses Manilow to Scare Teens

Feb 13, 2008
New Zealand Mall Uses Manilow to Scare Teens

After successful tests in Australia, Barry Manilow's music is being used to disperse unruly youths in New Zealand.

Across the central mall district, hordes of teenagers do what teenagers do best: get wasted, scream at passersby and generally make a nuisance of themselves. So Christchurch is now letting the "man who made the whole world sing" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-fev20voMc] do exactly that, by piping his music through the area. The police feel certain that the constant crooning will send teens packing.

Central City Business Association manager Paul Lonsdale told Associated Press: "The intention is to change the environment in a positive way... so nobody feels threatened or intimidated. I did not say Barry Manilow is a weapon of mass destruction."

An amusing enough plan, but it seems likely that teens will fight back by blasting something even more obnoxious - say, The Jonas Brothers - back at Barry, but that'll just give the Police an excuse to arrest them "somewhere down the road" [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFzqLSDIiRs] under the city's anti-noise law.

All together, now! Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl...

Source: The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/03/nz_manilow_weapon/]

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
"Hey you little whippersnappers! Get off my lawn!" *starts playing Barry Manilow* "OMG! Run, this old man is crazy!"

Seriously though, there a number of stories that come from New Zealand that have me convinced in many regards, the Kiwis are easily among the best people on Earth. Too bad I hear their internet service providers have poor bandwidth, so connecting to at a good ping to a game's server is unfortunately not likely, that is about the worst thing I can think of the place that comes to mind and that should say a lot.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
ahhh, it ruined my mood! I was giving myself a massive headache headbanging to a loop of Everytime we Touch by Cascada.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
They also use his songs as a punishment for noisy neighbours in the US. I heard that persistent offenders are taken down to the station and forced to listen to the music. (Talk about Cruel and Unusual Punishment.) And anyone who appears to enjoy it is immediately removed from the room.

DrummerM

Nov 24, 2008
Call me crazy, but I can't see how Barry Manilow's music will stop teenagers acting like ididots.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Its a shame they couldn't play something better. And I really wanted to visit New Zealand, but this is definitely going to make me rethink my plans.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
You heard it here first folks! "...Barry Manilow is a weapon of mass destruction." And that's sort of cruel to try and force people to leave a place like that, instead of doing the decent thing like asking/telling/pushing them. It's sort of like tricking them, and what if someone's there legitimately?

Destroy Gundam

Feb 20, 2009
I have to give them credit for having a unique idea. But Barry Manilow doesn't strike me as something that could scare people.

Well, unless they're not paying attention and music suddenly starts playing.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
When I worked at a gas station the owner used to play loud elevator music in the parking lot at night to discourage loiterers.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
The only thing that would get on my nerves is non-stop Pussycat Dolls. God, I hate them... Barry Manilow, on the other hand, isn't that bad :D

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
Playing music teens don't usually like around the entrances to malls and so on is hardly news. I live in northern Canada, and five years ago one of our malls started playing classical music in the entrance in order to scare off the rats who sat around throwing up and passing around crackpipes.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
slackbheep said:
Playing music teens don't usually like around the entrances to malls and so on is hardly news. I live in northern Canada, and five years ago one of our malls started playing classical music in the entrance in order to scare off the rats who sat around throwing up and passing around crackpipes.
Agreed, my hometown's cinema/bowling complex (which from the front looks like a mall) tends to play classical whenever they have people loitering, especially at such times as teens are prone to. However, during business hours, they either don't play music, or they play general chart and older hit stuff.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Haha, oh mercy that's a great idea! We got it all wrong with the mosquito tactic.

Trust Gracie to make me chuckle at the most random times. ;-)