Guerilla May Change Killzone 2's Controls

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Guerilla May Change Killzone 2's Controls

Killzone 2 dev Guerilla Games is looking into the possibility of changing the game's controls in response to player complaints about their sluggishness.

Killzone 2's controls have become something of a talking point in the aftermath of the game's release. Some users have complained that they're unresponsive or sluggish, while defenders of the game have oft used the argument that they're "not slow, they're weighty." In our own review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5812-Review-Killzone-2.2], Jordan Deam wrote that "it sometimes feels like the controls are working against you, especially if you're sensitive to input lag."

Though Guerilla was previously staunch in maintaining that no changes were necessary to the system, now it seems that they are giving it a second look. "We have not decided if we are going to do anything to the controls," producer Seb Downie wrote on the US PlayStation Boards [http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&message.id=219081#M219081]. "We are investigating."

Downie says that any changes to the controls won't drastically alter the way the game currently plays, and seems to be urging fans to not get their knickers in a bunch about all this nonsense. "No reason to get upset," he said. "We are not going to turn them on their head. It would not be sweeping changes."

Guerilla had previously explained [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=209487] that the perceived slowness of the controls was an intentional design decision meant to "to make the game weightier" and that Killzone 2 is a "slower, more tactical first person experience that focuses on immersion." It sounds like that plan backfired on them, and the controls are breaking immersion rather than increasing it. Let's hope Guerilla can come up with a control scheme that'll assuage all the haters but not rile up the people on the opposite side of the fence. We all know how rowdy they can get.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I heard it's conflicted with something on the PS3's settings

Someone showed me this [http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928377&topic=48427825]

If you're having trouble with the aiming (ie wild acceleration and huge deadzone), try changing the cross color reduction filter setting on your PS3 (it's under display options on the XMB). If it's off, turn it on, and vice versa. I tried it and the controls vastly improved.

I had given up playing the game; constantly fighting the controls ruined it for me. But the issue is more or less solved now. It's a night and day difference. All of a sudden I see why some people swore there were no control issues.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:

Someone showed me this [http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928377&topic=48427825]

If you're having trouble with the aiming (ie wild acceleration and huge deadzone), try changing the cross color reduction filter setting on your PS3 (it's under display options on the XMB). If it's off, turn it on, and vice versa. I tried it and the controls vastly improved.

I had given up playing the game; constantly fighting the controls ruined it for me. But the issue is more or less solved now. It's a night and day difference. All of a sudden I see why some people swore there were no control issues.
That shouldn't have been a problem though. I do give points to Guerrilla for wanting to go in and fix the controls issue however. It's another indication that console games are finally in the age where they can be patched to have a problem fixed.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
All I know is they had better give us full button mapping. I can bang out SF4 for four hours straight and not destroy my hands where as I can't play Killzone 2 for more than an hour without my hands wanting to explode because the idiotic mappings they have chosen for standard 3 and standard 4. I refuse to play a game where they expect me to do things that are blatantly impossible for human beings to do because they were too stupid to look at the controller.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Deam asked and he shall receive!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5812-Review-Killzone-2

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
AceDiamond said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:

That shouldn't have been a problem though. I do give points to Guerrilla for wanting to go in and fix the controls issue however. It's another indication that console games are finally in the age where they can be patched to have a problem fixed.
That's the weird part, it's actually working for some people. It shouldn't be a problem but apparently it is. Maybe not for everyone. I heard a lot of things like certain samsung T.V.'s have the problem.

Locker420

Jan 18, 2009
I love shooters and there is nothing I hate more than laggy controls. First memory that pops into my head is the Bioshock port to PC. Controls were terribly ported and it felt like you were dragging your crosshair on a string connected to the mouse pointer. LAME.

If a developer deliberately puts lag into the controls of a first person shooter then I wouldn't buy that title and I hope their release would fail as a lesson. I repeat for effect... LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I don't by the it adds realism argument either if you wanted to do that fine, but why make it so easy to shoot from the hip, something which is very, very hard to do in reality. I wouldn't mind their argument for the "lag" if they were consistent.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Now really, I can't believe a professional developer would consider controller lag an effective feature. There's no better way to break immersion that put an obvious barrier between your action and the action on screen.
I hope whoever pushed that idea through gets fired, they're clearly nuts.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
Now really, I can't believe a professional developer would consider controller lag an effective feature. There's no better way to break immersion that put an obvious barrier between your action and the action on screen.
I hope whoever pushed that idea through gets fired, they're clearly nuts.
But, but they are the developers they must always know better than the people actually playing the games.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I appreciate that Guerilla are listening to it's consumers and that they want to give them a preferable experience, but it seems like developers are all too eager to rush something out then patch it later.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Eagle Est1986 said:
I appreciate that Guerilla are listening to it's consumers and that they want to give them a preferable experience, but it seems like developers are all too eager to rush something out then patch it later.
It's really the publishers, however developers seem to have the attitude that the people using their products don't know what they want from a game.