David Jaffe: Used Game Issue is "None of the Consumer's Business"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
David Jaffe: Used Game Issue is "None of the Consumer's Business"

David Jaffe would prefer that gamers butt out of the used game debate and leave game companies and retailers to battle it out.

In his never-ending quest to comment on every new major gaming issue that tends to spring up on a weekly basis, David Jaffe of God of War fame recorded another video message [http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-know-youre-angryim-angry.html], this time in response to the news of Toys 'R Us [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89825-Toys-R-Us-Gets-In-On-The-Used-Games-Market] reselling used games.

"Whenever this stuff comes up, gamers get excited and upset, developers get upset, and there's all this kind of tension on the internet between developers and gamers and publishers," examined Jaffe.

He personally advocates gamers supporting used game sales, as it allows them to gain the most direct benefit from gaming by saving money for quality, tested titles.

"The fans will tell you, and they're right, consumers are always right. I'm a believer in that the customer is always right," he explained. "Look, if they can get a game for $5 and there is somebody selling them out there legally for $5, whether it's a used copy or whatever, go for it. Get the best deal you can get. It's not your job to look out for the developer or publisher or anybody except your self. I have no beef with gamers who partake in any kind of deal they can get for themselves."

"The issue though really has to do with developers and publishers and retail. I don't mean this in a mean way, like it's none of the consumers business," he commented. "But literally, it's none of the consumer's business. It should not affect the consumer at all. The consumer should really be out of the argument. All the consumer should worry about is, can I get the best deal possible?"

Jaffe navigated the issue of used games into game prices and whether high-quality, low-priced titles combined with digital distribution would eventually cause the issue to be moot. Until that point though, how much of a say should the players themselves have in the arguments over used game sales? Would the government and legislators end up being involved to ban used game sales in retail stores?

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
he makes a decent point in a way that is easily misquoted to make him look like an arse. The actual argurment behind used games, namely retailers cutting publishers & developers out of the loop to maximize return, isnt the consumers problem. What is their problem is that used games have become an important part of the game market, & the industry's best idea seems to be to say "boo hoo retailers dont play fair so we'll take it out on you"

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
He has been very vocal lately. I wonder why... eh.

Anyway, he's got a point. The consumers really should only be thinking "Hey, I can get this new for 60 dollars, or used for 30 dollars. I'll go with used." He forgot to mention, however, "Used as long as it's not from Gamestop."

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
You have to deal with the changes in the market or die off. I know lots of people who railed against the music industry and the movie industry for not changing with the times, but when it comes to games, they have a double standard. This is no different.

The free market works. It's up to you to find out how to make a buck in the free market, not to change the free market to fit your needs.

Jaffe seems to understand this...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
There is only ONE point that needs to be made in this debate: The First Sale Doctrine [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine] applies to games. Period. End of debate. You can save your breath and go home now.

We had this fight over LPs 90 years ago people. It's DONE. Selling used games is LEGAL. The industry can NOT take that away from the consumer without legislation. I know he's on our side, but Jaffe should look that up.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
What exactly did this dude just say?

He outlines the very reason why consumers should be part of the debate, because buying used is a sound economic decision for them, then says they should butt out because the only thing they should care about is getting the best deal?

Again: what exactly did he just say?

I guess he's cool with gamers getting the best deal as long developers and publishers get to define the phrase "the best deal."

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I read the article and watched the video, but I don't understand what he's asking from us. Can anyone dumb it down for me? I want to understand, cause it sounds like something I wouldn't like. Regarding a company that exclusively produces consumer goods, everything is the consumer's business.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
level250geek said:
What exactly did this dude just say?

He outlines the very reason why consumers should be part of the debate, because buying used is a sound economic decision for them, then says they should butt out because the only thing they should care about is getting the best deal?

Again: what exactly did he just say?

I guess he's cool with gamers getting the best deal as long developers and publishers get to define the phrase "the best deal."
Yeah, I was a bit confused. It basically sounds like he's saying, I'm totally on the consumers side! But they should shut the F**K up and let us attack used games anyway.

porkfryrice616

Feb 11, 2009
I think he's saying that people who buy used games shouldn't feel like they're killing the industry. That's what I got from it.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I'm waiting for people to read the title and jump to conclusions.

Basically, hes just telling gamers to grab the used games and be happy. Whatever the retailers and developers say, its got nothing to do with your right to buy.
Which is a fair point.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I sort of agree with him, but I will still buy new games.

At a discounted price, of course.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Ummmm, how is a limitation on the alienation of our own property NOT our business???

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Yea, he comments quite a lot , but doesn't embarress himself like some other developers. He has a solid point: Used games are good for consumers and it should stay that way.
Really startin to like him, but the media can fuck right off with their biased and skewed missquoting.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Hehe, like most in here, I was ready to tell this guy to take a hike. I read the article, and I'm still inclined to say so. Used, Vaccuum sealed, Old, New, whatever you want to call it, its still available to a consumer. This means, I have every right to say how I feel about this. Nobody should tell me to butt out of a transaction where I can keep more of my money, or on the flip-side, lose more.

I've personally never heard of this man, but honestly...where does he get off?

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
It is not in the interest of the consumer for the developer to take away the rights granted to the retailer under the first sale doctrine. It is not the place of the developer to say where the place of the consumer is in the debate simply because the developers are trying to negotiate with retailers in their own best interests-- especially when that is ultimately to the detriment of the consumer.

What's needed here is a boycott of products by developers who do not support the first sale doctrine as it applies to games. Need to downsize your game budgets to stay profitable in a market where you can't force everyone to buy new through new legislation? Fine by me.

Second point: Many people only buy new games because they know they can turn it around for credit towards the next new game, and this is what supplies the secondary market. If people know they can't do that, they'll buy fewer games, so it is not as if every used market sale and resale represents a lost new sale. Only some of them do. The question is, is that worth more or less than the new sales you won't get from people used to trading in old games for credit towards new ones?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Wait did he tell us its ok to buy games illegaly because its a good deal?

Or was he just saying how he is on our side but that we don't get a say in our rights?

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Wow, way to misquote the guy to make him look like a dick.

He's responded to game sites here by the way: <url=http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2009/03/journalism-rant-online-community-game.html>link.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
He has been very vocal lately. I wonder why... eh.

Anyway, he's got a point. The consumers really should only be thinking "Hey, I can get this new for 60 dollars, or used for 30 dollars. I'll go with used." He forgot to mention, however, "Used as long as it's not from Gamestop."
well thats obvious