Royal Air Force Now Hiring Gamers

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Royal Air Force Now Hiring Gamers

The U.K.'s Royal Air Force is looking for a few good men to pilot remote drones in Afghanistan. No, you don't need to know how to fly a plane. Just be halfway decent at videogames.

The RAF, otherwise known in the non-UK parts of the world as "The British Top Gun," needs to cut costs over in Afghanistan. Their solution to the problem? Replace highly trained Tom Cruises and Val Kilmers with some kid who knows how to fly a Banshee in Halo.

"We don't necessarily need highly trained pilots," RAF Wing Commander Richard McMahon told [http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=87171&sectionid=351020403] the Daily Mail. The old pilots were highly trained, having undergone rigorous flight courses before getting their hands on the controls of the sophisticated Reaper planes, remotely controlled unmanned flying machines that can carry laser-guided bombs and air-to-ground missiles.

Now, however, the RAF believes that they can make due with "lower grade" pilots who have only completed 30 hours of basic flight training, gamers particularly. Sounds crazy, but the RAF claims that according to studies, the best pilots for Reapers are more often than not young "video-game players" as opposed to actual experienced pilots.

The new hires will be conducting sensitive missions in Afghanistan. Considering that the Reapers can apparently cause severe damage with all the firepower they're carrying and that a single "oops didn't mean to press that button" mistake can cost lives, I really hope the RAF is sure about this.

[Via GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/03/04/raf-may-replace-pilots-gamers-combat-drone-sorties]]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Qualifications:

30 minutes of Microsoft flight Sim without crashing

Come in the top 5 for a counter strike game

Completed Gears of War on Hardcore

Have a family on the sims that doesn't die

Finally, MGS4 no alerts or kills throughout ENTIRE game.

Don't ask what most of them have to do with anything, but really, it's actually pretty sweet.

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
I find something imoral about taking a humble gamer, who enjoys a good shoot'em up and getting them to support real people in combat zones, especialy with the laser guided bomb stuff.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
My mind is shooting back to that article/fiction 'Griefer' that was on the Escapist a while back. Looks like it's actually going to happen...

Then again, it was in the Mail, so don't take it too seriously.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Qualifications:

3 minutes of Microsoft flight Sim without crashing
Fixed.

If you can even get a plane off the ground in that game, I'd say you've earned your wings. I never have.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
This is actually very true. A buddy of mine is an American Apache(it's an attack heli) pilot, and he told me that the best guys out there have a long experience in video games.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Im gonna sign up and become the greatest pilot (kind of) ever.
Its obvious though really, who else has the co-ordination and skills to fly remote controle planes than people who practise these skills on a regular basis, namely us.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
My mind is shooting back to that article/fiction 'Griefer' that was on the Escapist a while back. Looks like it's actually going to happen...
It's already happening. Hell yeah. Can't wait to clock up some remote flight hours.

Church256

Jul 24, 2008
Jesus I was going to join the army if I fail at college but this sounds much nicer... and safer and I'm heavily qualified at flight sims.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Kukul said:
BULLSHIT

I can't express how dumb the idea that they would let untrained civilians pilot lethal war machines worth hundreds of thousands dollars, kill people and posses confidential data, is.

I think it's just a publicity stunt to make people join the army on regular conditions.
This. Oh well, the life of a an Afghan or Iraqi is not worth anything anyways ... /sarcasm

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Kukul said:
BULLSHIT

I can't express how dumb the idea that they would let untrained civilians pilot lethal war machines worth hundreds of thousands dollars, kill people and posses confidential data, is.

I think it's just a publicity stunt to make people join the army on regular conditions.
This.

...Though it would be kinda kick-ass to have control over a airplane carrying laser guided bombs without being able to get hurt back. ^^