BioShock 2 Teaser Site Now Live

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock 2 Teaser Site Now Live

An early glimpse at the BioShock [http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/] sequel is now available at the new teaser site There's Something In The Sea.

There's not much to see just yet: A worn map with a date and location marked on it as well as a newspaper article, a handwritten note and a picture that will be familiar to anyone who's seen the BioShock 2 teaser [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86853-BioShock-2-Trailer-Found-On-PS3]. The date written on the map and printed in the newspaper article indicate the game will be a true sequel and not a prequel as some had speculated, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

On February 20, 1967, a seven-year-old girl was kidnapped from her family cottage at Liscannor in County Clare, Ireland. She was taken in the middle of the night, and her kidnapper escaped unseen except for a red light near his head. "Local fisherman Eamon Clune, 44, and his wife Charlotte (32) were awoken by the sudden shattering of a window in the front room," the newspaper clipping reads. "Moments later, his daughter Maura, age 7, screamed. Mr. Clune rushed to investigate the noise only to notice the unknown attacker racing out of the broken window with 'incredible speed.' Clune attempted to pursue, but was quickly outrun even though the attacker should have been hampered by the child's weight."

The handwritten note, dated a month after the attack, claims to have a found a photograph of a child's toy a week prior to the kidnapping "which resembles particulars of the attacker. The head resembles a helmet as described by the Clune family; the feet could be heavy boots." Despite the time that's passed between the attack and the writing of the note, there appears to have been no contact between the Clune family and the kidnappers.

BioShock was set in 1960 in an alternate timeline so based on her age Maura almost certainly has some direct link to the crumbling underwater city of Rapture. The nature of that connection, however, remains a mystery.

Interesting bit of trivia: Liscannor is noteworthy among other things for being the birthplace of John Philip Holland [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Philip_Holland], an engineer and early submarine pioneer who developed the first ever Royal Navy submarine and the first submarine to be formally commissioned by the post-Civil War U.S. Navy.

Have a look for yourself and join the wild speculation at somethinginthesea.com [http://www.somethinginthesea.com].

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
"...The nature of that connection, however, remains a mystery..."

Does anyone else think this is really, really, really, really obvious? It's not really much of a tease. It's more like another sexual metaphor that I would probably get banned for.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
I feel like we're going to be seeing a lot more Xs and dates on that map in the months to come. Neat stuff, I suppose.

Mar 26, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
did I mention that I think Ry'lieh and Rapture were very close to one another????
No, but it's an interesting point.

The description of the "attacker" sounds like a cross between a Splicer and a Big Daddy. Of course it could simply be your "vanilla" splicer with a diving helmet on to assist them breathing on their journey from Rapture to dry land.

Stormcloud23

Aug 15, 2008
Lord_Ascendant said:
did I mention that I think Ry'lieh and Rapture were very close to one another????
They aren't. Rapture is off the coast of Iceland, while R'lyeh is in the south pacific.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
No, but it's an interesting point.

The description of the "attacker" sounds like a cross between a Splicer and a Big Daddy. Of course it could simply be your "vanilla" splicer with a diving helmet on to assist them breathing on their journey from Rapture to dry land.
Ry'lieh is over by Antarctica and South America, and Rapture was around North Europe, out in the ocean.

If it's a true sequel, then it could be Jack, the main character. You had to become a big daddy in the game, and they said there was no turning back, and Jack's all hopped up on goofballs/plasmids so he can go really fast.

All I can look at is the picture, how do I read the note and newspaper article?

Arayis

Jul 11, 2008
Yay for more information! I must play Bioshock again before the next one comes out...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
The girl was obviously a little sister, or the child of a little sister. The kidnapper was OBVIOUSLY a big daddy.

OiXerxes

Jan 3, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
The girl was obviously a little sister, or the child of a little sister. The kidnapper was OBVIOUSLY a big daddy.
I'm surprised no one has guessed that! That was my first guess too because of the 1. Red Light
2. Helmet 3. Running REALLY fast

House25

Dec 3, 2008
If it wasn't jack, it was a big daddy left over. but it's only 7 years after soo it couldn't be a daughter of a little sister. At the end it said that they would get old but it hasn't been long enough for that. Maybe the little sister just grew up.

OiXerxes said:
TsunamiWombat said:
I'm surprised no one has guessed that! That was my first guess too because of the 1. Red Light
The running makes sense. Is must've been a Rosie because it had one red light, the bouncer had more. And I remember the Charge attack from bioshock, those hulking big daddies could move if they had too. and i'm sure they would have no problem moving with a little extra weight.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
House25 said:
If it wasn't jack, it was a big daddy left over. but it's only 7 years after soo it couldn't be a daughter of a little sister. At the end it said that they would get old but it hasn't been long enough for that. Maybe the little sister just grew up.

OiXerxes said:
TsunamiWombat said:
The running makes sense. Is must've been a Rosie because it had one red light, the bouncer had more. And I remember the Charge attack from bioshock, those hulking big daddies could move if they had too. and i'm sure they would have no problem moving with a little extra weight.
Seven years later, and the girl is seven years old...

Another 'sleeper' clone like the main character from Bioshock?

Nageck

Feb 8, 2009
If I had to guess, I would say that the big daddy's are trying to replace the little sisters. The game will be about rescuing all the little girls that they kidnap. Of course, that's just a guess.

Jul 9, 2008
It can't have been a Big Daddy, it was described as "thin" in the article. It could be a splicer.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Indigo_Dingo said:
Are you sure the game was set in the 1960s?
Yup. The intro to the game is pretty clear.

And just click on the edges of the note and newspaper clipping to access them.

Mar 26, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Are you sure the game was set in the 1960s?
Fineldar said:
If it's a true sequel, then it could be Jack, the main character. You had to become a big daddy in the game, and they said there was no turning back, and Jack's all hopped up on goofballs/plasmids so he can go really fast.

All I can look at is the picture, how do I read the note and newspaper article?
Yes there was - when he was lying in the hospital bed surrounded by his daughters, his hands were human. Also remember that means he was treated by a regular hospital.
The plasmid effects were definately reversible; for example the blisters on your hands healed over when you didn't use the Inferno plasmid, same with the bee-holes. Although they did re-map your DNA which is a bit disconcerting.

Dr Tenebaum did make out that the Big Daddy process was irreversible; perhaps the vocal chord scraping and pheremone altering were irreversible, but maybe not being sealed in the suit. I think I remember reading somewhere that the way the Big Daddies were bio-engineered they couldn't breath properly without the suit; it was essentially part of their body. Jack has the advantage of being born "relatively human", albeit with accelerated growth and aging, so he could quite possibly survive without the suit.