Ninja Gaiden 2 Coming To PS3

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ninja Gaiden 2 Coming To PS3

PS3 fans who didn't get a taste of Tomonobu Itagaki's most recent magnum opus of ninja excess will get a chance to with Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, a PS3 remake of the previously Xbox 360 exclusive game.

Now that outspoken 360 supporter and former Ninja Gaiden mastermind Tomonobu Itagaki has left Tecmo (and not after causing quite a ruckus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84246-Itagaki-Leaves-Team-Ninja-Sues-Tecmo]), Team Ninja can feel free to make as many PS3 games as they want. Their first effort for Sony's console will be Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, an enhanced remake of Ninja Gaiden 2, which was previously a 360 exclusive, according to scans from Japanese gaming rag Famitsu.

Sigma 2 will feature new content and add PSN support. So far details on what exactly's new are scarce, but there's one tidbit that should excite fans of Team Ninja's other marquee franchise, the Dead or Alive fighting game series. Like Sigma 1 added an extra character in the buxom Rachel, Sigma 2 looks to add a new playable warrior as well: Dead or Alive's purple-haired ninja femme fatale, Ayane, who looks to be dressed skimpier than she is in DoA (how is that even possible?) and wields daggers.

It very well may have been Itagaki's departure that allowed for the existence of Sigma 2 to begin with. Even though Sigma 1 was also an effort helmed by his own studio, as Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5171282/xbox-360-exclusive-ninja-gaiden-ii-coming-to-ps3] points out, the outspoken designer clearly never really approved of the project. "All you need to do is play Ninja Gaiden II and then try and play Sigma afterwards and you'll see why," Itagaki said. "Despite the fact that it's on a 'next-generation' console there's no evolution whatsoever. That was made not by me, but one of my sub-ordinates who basically tried to copy the success of Ninja Gaiden."

Yeesh. I would be happy to not have that guy breathing down my neck anymore, too.

[Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/17/famitsu-reveals-ninja-gaiden-sigma-2-for-ps3/]]

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
it was bound to happen, they did it to the Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox to the PS2, so why not do it to the next one?

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Skizle said:
it was bound to happen, they did it to the Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox to the PS2, so why not do it to the next one?
With NG2, it was published by Microsoft so this is kind of surprising.

Tecmo's decision to do this isn't the surprising part, though. They've fallen in quite the rut (no Team Ninja, hurting for money). The original Sigma on the PS3 was actually kind of a shoddy port with tearing all over the place and added loading breaks. And that was a game without a whole load of problems.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is... well, it obviously wasn't done when they released it so it'll be interesting to see what'll happen to the port.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
CarrionRoc said:
So PS3 owners are getting a remake of a remake of a remake of a remake?
Nah. More like a remake of a sequel, while named as the sequel to the remake of a remake. Got it? I wonder how Ayane would play. She didn't get a lot of screen time in NG 2

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Alright, this is cool, so, woo.

Never really interested in the game in the first place, but at least PS3 owners can get a taste of whoopass......a taste of their own ass to be precise.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Meh. We have God Of War III, do they really expect us to give two craps?
Seeing as Ninja Gaidan is one of the oldest game series, and a completly different beast then GoW... yes?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
God damn, I want it on PC! I refuse to buy a casual console just so I can play one of the most hardcore games I've ever experienced...

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
What does Tecmo make money with these days anyway? I know they throw their DoA stuff at consoles at launch (when there are no superior games out yet) but after that?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Cool, never got into it on my 360, I have a habit of buying games again on the PS3 and really getting into them. Hope it happens again with this.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Wicked stuff, I knew they would release it sooner or later on the PS3.
Let it come down in price and I'll pick it up.

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
I'm wondering if they are going to fix the stupid cheap deaths people talked about, having only played Sigma 1 I thought that was great fun, and while difficult, it was fair.