Sony Clamping Down on Employee Paychecks

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
Sony Clamping Down on Employee Paychecks

In a strong effort to battle plummeting profits, Sony will freeze its workers' salaries starting in April.

In an announcement that's certain to stoke the fanboy flames of Microsoft lovers, Sony announced that it will be putting an indefinite end to raises and trimming regular employee bonuses from 6, to 4 months pay, in an effort to stymie the company's across-the-board losses.

Managers will bear the brunt of the cost-saving measures though, seeing 10 to 20 percent wage cuts and 35-40 percent bonus reductions. But what of the upper echelon of Sony management?

"Executives will also be slugged with huge cuts to bonuses and salaries," the financial daily Nikkei said.

It's good to see there's still a place where managers who fail a company are punished for their underperformance and not given millions and millions of taxpayer dollars, a pat on the back and another go at it.

Much like everyone else, Sony has been hit hard by the global economic recession and plans to report a loss of 260 billion yen ($2.65 billion) for the year. While there's no specifics to show which Sony divisions are fairing the worst, I personally would like to blame <a href="http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11038307 "
target="_blank">this abomination.

Source: <a href="http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKN1836662120090318?feedType=RSS&feedName=technology-media-telco-SP"
target="_blank">Reuters (via Kotaku)

<a href="http://www.bizzyblog.com/wp-images/DownGraph0309.jpg"
target="_blank">(Image)

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Routers -> Reuters
I have to think the management could do with some housecleaning, or at least belt tightening. Marketing particularly seems like it's been less than clever of late.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
GyroCaptain said:
Routers -> Reuters
I have to think the management could do with some housecleaning, or at least belt tightening. Marketing particularly seems like it's been less than clever of late.
Have to agree there. They wasted millions on failed marketing.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
I like the chart.

Yeah, Sony's not doing so hot. Heck, they weren't doing so hot before the economy collapsed.

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
Chickenlittle said:
GyroCaptain said:
Routers -> Reuters
I think they were confused. Wii and 360 marketing had hit every known demographic from shore to mountain, so Sony marketing was probably unsure exactly where to fit in. I imagine it's like arriving too late to an orgy and the only person left unsoiled is a creepy middle-aged guy who smells like Jim Beam and you are forced to let him spoon you all night in order to prevent anything worse from happening.

sanctimoniousqf

Mar 19, 2009
Bonuses from 6 months to 4?! I just left SCE about 5 months ago... bonuses haven't been anywhere near that high for years! 2 months if you're lucky!

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Why is that all the news from Sony is bad? I mean even when the Gamecube was falling behind there was always something good to report. I guess Sony is just new to being in last place for once.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Onmi said:
Why am I so QUICK to disbelieve the 'Workers' and 'Game Devs' popping up these days?
I don't know, it tends to get weird. We've had people claim that they're the wife/son/brother of a recently deceased celebrety or big-name game person, we've had people claim they work for so-and-so company, and we've had people claim that they personally know so-and-so famous gamer celebraty person. Oh, and don't forget the apparant "14-year-old going Guitar Hero pro" guy who apparantly wanted to clear things up for us about why he quite school to be a profesional Guitar Hero player.

I have a hard time believing that the wife of a celebraty took her time to join up and post on how anyone who didn't like his work should be ashamed or something. sanctimoniousqf, could we have some proof that you worked there before? Not that you'd reply, this was probably a one time thing for you.

Though, then again, the Escapist is pretty well known (I think?) so it could be possible that some people here and there would know another person there and here. I'm still skeptical about those people though.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
My cousin is Simon Collosimo, I don't feel the need to brag about it. Hell it was just the Aussie soccer team.[/quote]

Tell him to say hi to the Tin Man for me.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Onmi said:
Chickenlittle said:
GyroCaptain said:
Routers -> Reuters
You know what, they should stop making 'white' versions of all their consoles, NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE COLOUR!

Also I have said it once, I'll say it again, make an emulator of the PS2, put it up for... I dunno $50? less on the PS3.

All existing people download it (because they probably all have PS2 games) it's cheaper that the current PS2 out there, it helps ween people OFF the PS2 console, and it makes people wanna buy the PS3 again.

Yes I know this is a feature it SHOULD come with, but think about it, I think knocking off the BAckwards compat knocked off about 100+? so this is cheaper than buying it WITH backwards compat
They didn't knock off the Backwards compatibility. The removed the hardware and PS2/X is now done through software emulation in the 80gb and 160gb.

sanctimoniousqf

Mar 19, 2009
Jumplion said:
Onmi said:
Why am I so QUICK to disbelieve the 'Workers' and 'Game Devs' popping up these days?
I don't know, it tends to get weird. We've had people claim that they're the wife/son/brother of a recently deceased celebrety or big-name game person, we've had people claim they work for so-and-so company, and we've had people claim that they personally know so-and-so famous gamer celebraty person. Oh, and don't forget the apparant "14-year-old going Guitar Hero pro" guy who apparantly wanted to clear things up for us about why he quite school to be a profesional Guitar Hero player.

I have a hard time believing that the wife of a celebraty took her time to join up and post on how anyone who didn't like his work should be ashamed or something. sanctimoniousqf, could we have some proof that you worked there before? Not that you'd reply, this was probably a one time thing for you.

Though, then again, the Escapist is pretty well known (I think?) so it could be possible that some people here and there would know another person there and here. I'm still skeptical about those people though.
Er, how would you like me to prove this exactly? I was at SCEE, worked as part of the R&D/support dept. Would you like my LinkedIn profile - I'm a bit hesitant to post that directly on an open forum, but I've sent a direct message with it...

Now, I was never a manager, so can't claim to know what bonuses they get (though I know a few on disgustingly high salaries for what they do), and suspect that SCEE is different to SCEI, but I did get a few bonuses, and they were generally around 1-2 months pay tops for engineers (performance related, of course).

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Onmi said:
GyroCaptain said:
Routers -> Reuters
Maybe not lately but long ago they were doing some stupid shit.

PSP commercials? and People are STILL not over 2006.
...a bunch of mindless jerks who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes...

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
News like this hurts me.

I have owned Sony consoles for about 11 years now and the possibility of them being forced out of the gaming world because of debt actually upsets me. Whilst some people dont like Sony, at least it offers todays gamer some variety.

When theres only Microsoft and Nintendo selling consoles, its going to be even more limited and possibly more expensive to play consoles. Might have to go back to PC if it does happen.