Do you like anime? Write for The Escapist!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Escapist is looking for a team of five (5) anime fans within our community to review the latest titles to hit North American shores. If you're interested in applying for the position, here?s what you need to do to make your case:

We?re looking for two review samples ? choose any of the following anime titles to review:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Spirited Away
Fullmetal Alchemist

Send us a long review (750 words), and a short review (200 words) ? you can review the same anime for both, or choose to do a different one for each. Knowledge of the subject matter is as important as writing ability, so please only apply if you're fairly well-familiar with anime - we're looking for experts. Also keep in mind that you will be expected to meet assigned deadlines.

Please write the review samples in the word processing app of your choice ? Microsoft Word preferred. Send them as attachments to john(at)escapistmag(dot)com . Be sure to include your Escapist forum username and real name in the body of the email, and the email subject must contain ?Anime Review Position.? Applications must be submitted no later than 6:00 PM EST on Friday, March 20th, 2009.

This is an unpaid position ? all of the anime will be provided for free, and is yours to keep! Review assignments will be decided at The Escapist?s discretion.

Due to format differences, this position is open to North America residents only. You must be 18 or older to apply.

If you have any questions about the position or the application, ask them here, or PM CantFaketheFunk.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I would be all over this if it weren't for my Ireland based-ness and complete lack of confidence in my writing skills.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Bah, I feel cheated. Oh well I question my ability to review anyway, but I won't know unless I try. For free anime I would have given my greatest review...

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Due to format differences, this position is open to North America residents only.
All my dreams are dead. Sucks ass to be an european on the internet.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Whilst I would like to write a review of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I don't believe I could stomach watching a new anime that often (I've only ever liked a few select ones like Evangelion or Death Note)

Oh yeah, and I'm from Australia.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Due to format differences, this position is open to North America residents only.

...Fuck... Seriously... I love you guys, but fuck... This was sooooo mine... Goddamnit... Cowboy Bebop, NGE and Spirited Away are some of my favorites ever...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Even if it weren't an issue with compatibility - which it is - the shipping costs to send stuff overseas is rather high...not to mention the delay it causes.

That said, if any of you non-NA types are interested in providing your own materials -- that is, either renting or buying the stuff yourself -- we'd be happy to consider running it. We just can't send you the movies.

Daggerfire

Dec 26, 2008
Oh... my... pants...

For the first time... being a north american rules... so hard.

Time to bust some balls and get back to writing.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Even if it weren't an issue with compatibility - which it is - the shipping costs to send stuff overseas is rather high...not to mention the delay it causes.

That said, if any of you non-NA types are interested in providing your own materials -- that is, either renting or buying the stuff yourself -- we'd be happy to consider running it. We just can't send you the movies.
I don't know if it's exactly difficult to buy the stuff on european websites and arrange the shipping like that... unless You guys get the stuff for free ;)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
raxiv said:
I don't know if it's exactly difficult to buy the stuff on european websites and arrange the shipping like that... unless You guys get the stuff for free ;)
Which we do.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
raxiv said:
Which we do.
Fair deal then, the "export" law is a real ***** in the US. I bet though, anyone who will be contributing the "official" way will have alot of fun. I am planning to write some articles, as I am planning on writing some escapist articles either way, maybe they will be published - if not, I can always put them here on the forums.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Oh man, this is awesome.

I've been a huge fan of FMA for years, so I have my long essay ready, and I guess I'll brush up on my Cowboy Bebop for the short one!

*turns to his finicky computer and proceeds to pelt it with soybeens*

Oni wa soto! Fuku wa uchi! Don't die on me now!