Sony Considering Legal Action Over Change4Life Ad

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Considering Legal Action Over Change4Life Ad

Change4Life [http://www.sony.com] campaign over the unauthorized use of a PlayStation controller in the controversial "Risk an early death" ad.

A print ad featuring a bored-looking youngster staring blankly ahead while holding a game controller, while above him a headline blared, "Risk an early death, just do nothing," was recently released as part of the U.K. government's effort to promote a more active lifestyle among children. Naturally, the implication that being a gamer could kill you prematurely led to an Advertising Standards Authority [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89973-UK-Government-Ad-Campaign-Attacks-Deadly-Games].

The net result of that outrage was little more than spitting into the storm, but it appears that bigger guns are now coming to bear in the form of the Sony Legal Department. The advertising agency that created the ad didn't contact Sony before using a distinctly PlayStation-like controller - distinct enough that Sony is now considering "legal action," according to MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33477/Sony-considering-legal-action-over-Change4Life-ad].

This isn't the first time Change4Life has come under fire for its negative stereotyping of gamers: In January a television ad [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilexk4A9gSE] featuring Claymation figures made similar implications about the connection between gaming and early death, although the uproar in response was somewhat less enthusiastic.

If there's truth to the old saw about any publicity being good publicity, then Change4Life should be thrilled with the way this ad is working out. On the other hand, being sued by an aggrieved Sony, no matter how flimsy the rationale, probably isn't going to make anyone's day. We've contacted Sony and The Gate [http://www.thegateworldwide.com/], the agency behind the ad, for comment, and will update accordingly.

UPDATE: In response to our inquiry, Sony issued a statement describing the negative portrayal of gamers as "a serious issue for the video games industry and one that needs to be dealt with by the industry as a whole," but declined to comment on the possibility of further action.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Ahh they really are full of crap, just a sample of their video games survey by a "doctor".

The ASA published an adjudication against Take Two Interactive Europe
Ltd t/a Rockstar Games in relation to a broadcast ad for Grand Theft Auto
IV, an 18-rated (BBFC) game.
The ASA received 17 complaints about the ad, which featured a man
walking towards the camera in front of images of cars exploding and guns
being fired in the background. Complainants challenged whether the ad
condoned violence and criminal behaviour and questioned whether it had
been scheduled properly because it had been shown during European
football matches.
The ASA considered that the character who was the focus of the ad did
not engage in the background sequences and that, because they were
relatively mild and fleeting, the dramatic sequences were unlikely to
condone violent behaviour. The ASA accepted that although some people
objected to the game, the ad was unlikely to cause serious or widespread
offence by condoning violence and criminal behaviour.

Edit - At lest they got something right

The compliance rate of over 99% suggests that video games are being
advertised responsibly and in line with the CAP and BCAP Codes and that
advertisers are targeting their ads at the appropriate audience age groups.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Frankly, I think Sony is in the right. The ad is basically saying "Play games; die early", and the fact that it was a PS3 controller used in the ad just means that it falls to Sony to delivery the first legal blow. If it had been a 360 comtroller, I'm sure Microsoft would be in the same position Sony is now, just with more lawyers.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This advertisement is showing that games will kill you, and the people responsible for the ad didn't contact Sony about putting their product in the ad that obviously portrays their company (and many others for that matter) negatively.

Sue on, I suppose. Buzinez is Buzinez.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
I like the fact that the UK Gov is trying to encourage a healthy lifestyle, but as usual they are going about it in a way that will only be counter productive. You encourage people to a new way of life by offering the advantages not saying that what they are doing currently will kill you because then you just alienate people by attacking what they enjoy. Like it or not gaming is now mainstream and most people don't like being told that what they are doing will kill them, and as much as we like to pretend we've matured as we've grown older our response to criticism is much the same as when we were 8. Ignore it and continue doing what we enjoy.

A much more suitable ad campaign would be showing people the really nice food you can make with healthier food items, the wide variety of sports/activities available(hell you could probably fit Wii fit in there somewhere).

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
You could probably make a case that it is basically slander - saying that Sony (given the controller) as a company, through their game console, leads to an early death. The simple fact that they used the controller isn't a big if they can actually back up Sony being responsible for early deaths in a significant number, I do believe. Which I'm pretty doubtful they could do.

caz105

Feb 22, 2009
Go Sony I think its about time someone challenged the 'you play games therefore your going to die early' school of thinking.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Well that is a one sided argument. I thank God the North American Government is to smart to try this shit.

RedDiablo

Nov 8, 2008
I almost agree with Sony. I'm a gamer, but I'm not going to die just from playing too much. Instead of playing video games, just have some fat kid who is watching T.V.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
For once I agree with Sony and the lawyers.

Is hell reaching 0 degrees K?
Damn, ninja'd in a slightly more stylish manner to my own choice of words. Basically, I normally disagree with the big Sony Juggernaut, but in this case I have to agree. My government is seriously overstepping the mark here, it's like Gordon Brown's put Jack Thompson in charge of the Cabinet...

psico666

Dec 8, 2008
I think Sony have every right to sue. Games dont kill people, Idiots do.

Just because im a big physics freak i will correct this. 0 K. Degrees are not needed when you are talking in Kelvin.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Although i hate Sony i hope they wipe the floor with these idiots and send out a message to other people that think that video games are the next Hitler (Jack Thompson im fucking looking at you!!)

For once I agree with Sony and the lawyers.

And yes hell is reaching absolute zero or −273.15 °C for all you non-physics people.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
Playing games has been linked to long life [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1160257/The-secret-long-life-Its-fast-react.html?ITO=1490].

Although I'm normally against suing, I believe in this case it is just.