Get High, Shortchange Your Gamerscore

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
Get High, Shortchange Your Gamerscore

It used to be the prevalent anti-drug message was that you'd either overdose or end up in jail, but it appears that the current administration is taking aim at something a little less serious: Gamerscores.

In a new anti-marijuana push, the anti-drug site Above the Influence cites pot as a detriment to gaming ability, blaming the drug for inhibiting reaction time, memory and perception. The site cautions that getting high will do nothing but hurt your ability to pull off headshots or slay magical dragons.

The site also includes two Second Life caliber videos detailing a pair of videogame characters injured as a result of their teammate's altered state. A pink haired, pink eyed anime ninja from the video: "I used to have a good time with Lyle. We made a good team. He had skill. He had swiftness. Well, he used to, anyway. Then our last fight, Lyle decided to get high. And it was simply: sayonara skill, sayonara swiftness." So not only will you be ruining your personal kill/death ratio, but you'll also be letting down your guild members and clan teammates.

The site describes THC's effect on perception thusly: "Smoking pot affects alertness, concentration, perception coordination and reaction time - many of the skills required for winning a battleground, defeating an opponent, beating games in addition to safe driving and other tasks." The addition of driving at the end of the list seems a bit ridiculous - it seems logical that if you shouldn't be playing GRID while high, you shouldn't be driving in real life, either. The site makes an effort to target both individual and multiplayer games as well, so even if you're just playing through the story mode, you apparently could be doing it more effectively.

It seems pretty ridiculous that lung cancer, big fines, and criminal charges are taking a backseat to hindering someone's ability to get onto a leaderboard or score some rare gear for their avatar, but I imagine it's a direct consequence that's a lot more tangible for a 15-year-old. Of course when that same 15 year old sees "RenegadeTHC" at the top of the 50 Cent: Blood on the Sandleaderboard, he might have to think twice.

Source: Above the Influence [http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/facts/gaming-high.aspx]

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
This is 100% false, I know when I'm high I'm better. When I'm on shrooms I am immortal at any video game. I think it has to do with being so focused into the game but I dunno.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Quite funny, but quite false. A friend of mine plays better when high, quite an odd phenomena.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
KaZZaP said:
This is 100% false, I know when I'm high I'm better. When I'm on shrooms I am immortal at any video game. I think it has to do with being so focused into the game but I dunno.
Maybe you so high you think you are...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
black lincon said:
Quite funny, but quite false. A friend of mine plays better when high, quite an odd phenomena.
Well getting high can relax you but after a while it causes a slew of problem so I geuss it keep him calm but O dought he can keep the performance up forever.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
I sent them an E-mail telling them to cease and diciest before I jam my foot up their uneducated asses.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Bah. Games are more fun when high. You play games to have fun. Ergo, pot makes gaming better.
Or so I'm told.

Jul 9, 2008
Goldbling said:
I sent them an E-mail telling them to cease and diciest before I jam my foot up their uneducated asses.
If the anti-videogame media has taught me anything, it's that that never works. In fact, it tends to have the opposite effect.

Anyway, obvious falsehood to anyone with a working brain aside, this is actually fairly smart. It won't work, but they're beginning to catch on to the fact that if you want someone not to do drugs, you have to show them how it affects things that are important to them and, more importantly, tangible.