Games Give Retired Wrestler Young Fans

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Games Give Retired Wrestler Young Fans

Bret "The Hitman" Hart has recently released his autobiography and now realizes how popular he still is to fans through their experiences with him in videogames long after he retired.

As one of the few men to ever successfully sport pink tights in public, "The Hitman" established himself in the mid-90s as one of professional wrestling's greatest athletes. His accomplishments as a seven-time World Champion earned him spots as a member of the WWE Smackdown vs RAW roster long after his retirement.

In a recent interview with ESPN [http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=3965096], Hart commented on his legacy living through games: "It's funny because little kids come up to me who are like five years old and they want to talk to me about wrestling. And these kids, they've never even seen me wrestle. It's all from the videogames and action figures. They tell me on the videogames that I'm pretty hard to beat. That's good. Whenever I play against my girlfriend, I lose every time."

The extensive interview delves into Hart's controversial history with the WWE and its owner, Vince McMahon. He leaves his last thoughts on how he'd like to be remembered by those who saw him wrestle.

"Vince McMahon said it on my DVD, that I was the greatest story teller in wrestling, and I think I was," he explained. "When I watch other matches, I don't see the same types of story-telling ability. And I think what I want people to always remember about me is that I very rarely got hurt and I never, ever injured another wrestler. It was all about safety."

Source: G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693884/Bret-The-Hitman-Hart-Says-Gaming-Helped-Him-Reach-A-New-Generation-Of-Fans.html]

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
He is a Wrestling Legend.
I still remember using him to face Yokozuna in WWF Wrestlemania on the PS1, such a good game.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
I agree with him and McMahon, his matches were always entertaining to watch. I'm glad he managed to get out while he was still relatively healthy (unlike several others, including his brother). That's why I just don't watch wrestling much anymore, I can't bear watching these guys half-kill themselves.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Brotherofwill said:
He is a Wrestling Legend.
I still remember using him to face Yokozuna in WWF Wrestlemania on the PS1, such a good game.
YES! Such a good game indeed!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be.
Pfft. Like hell. That spot's reserved for Stone Cold Steve Austin, failing that, the Rock!

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Being an Alberta kid in the '80s, Stampede Wrestling was the absolute best thing around. Blast from the past, man.

Feb 13, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Pfft. Like hell. That spot's reserved for Stone Cold Steve Austin, failing that, the Rock!
That would be "The Toughest S.O.B. in the WWE" and "The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment".
/raises eyebrow

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
That would be "The Toughest S.O.B. in the WWE" and "The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment".
/raises eyebrow
And that's the bottom line (WHAT?) 'cause stone cold says so!

Ahh good times. I'll leave The Rock one to you ;¬D

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
Skizle said:
back when wrestling was good...now its like watching a soap opera
rose tinted specs dude, watch the fights, they're pure rubbish, i do agree with you the story telling aspect is kinda silly. the fights now days are more hard hitting and today's wrestlers put themselves through far more physical fights than back in the day the risks just get bigger and bigger, always love it when they go wrong and someone gets messed up ....mankind anyone

somekindawizard

Dec 3, 2008
I think its great that they include classic wrestlers in the new games, infact im pretty sure if they didnt include them the games would be pants! There are very few strong characters in the wwe today.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
sorry to say but they pale in comparison to Bret Hart, he's got way too much pedigree. he knew when to do a work and give people a push when needed and he had more talent in his pinky than either one of those 2 did, he could go between being a brawler and a techincal wrestler pretty easily

Mar 12, 2009
Milkman Dan said:
I agree with him and McMahon, his matches were always entertaining to watch. I'm glad he managed to get out while he was still relatively healthy (unlike several others, including his brother). That's why I just don't watch wrestling much anymore, I can't bear watching these guys half-kill themselves.
WWE matches today are so slow and dull I struggle to watch one the whole way through unless it's a gimmick match.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
sorry to say but they pale in comparison to Bret Hart, he's got way too much pedigree. he knew when to do a work and give people a push when needed and he had more talent in his pinky than either one of those 2 did, he could go between being a brawler and a techincal wrestler pretty easily
Lies and slander! Blasphemy too! Rock wasn't called the 'most electrifying man in sports entertainment' for nothing. And not only did the crowd go wild whenever Stone cold made a surprise entrance, but he made red-necks cool. They both were crowd favourites, but pure brawlers, which was still a good thing. How can anyone beat that?

Unless of course, you're Hulk Hogan...but that's a different story. And I did like Bret's ability to go between technical and brawler, yes.

And on a side note, what are your thoughts on Triple H?

Feb 13, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
/raises eyebrow
And that's the bottom line (WHAT?) 'cause stone cold says so!

Ahh good times. I'll leave The Rock one to you ;¬D
Can you smeeeeeeeeeel...
What the Root...
Is cooking? :)

Rock had great charisma, but really wasn't much of a wrestler. The People's Elbow was laughable, as well as the 1-2-3 Slap. The problem came about when Vince started setting them up against 3 gibberonis at once in a splat match, and then they got flattened from one move by the Phenom.
Triple H is more past it than Double H though, but he doesn't have the badger beard.