"Star Wars" Reborn as Mosquito Killer

Feb 13, 2008
"Star Wars" Reborn as Mosquito Killer

Back in the Reagan Era, there was much talk about the Strategic Defense Initiative - the "Star Wars" program. Now the program is back but it's turned its attention from nuclear missiles to mosquitos.

The real target, as before, isn't the carrier itself, but the warhead inside - in this case, malaria. With over a million people dying each year to this virulent virus, big spenders like Bill Gates, the United Nations and the U.K. have donated billions of dollars to fight it.

Dr. Lowell Wood, part of the original "Star Wars" project, suggested enlisting lasers in the fight against the disease. By early 2008, the first mosquito laser fatality was down to the brainchild of Dr. Wood, Dr. Jordin Kare and another ex-"Star Wars" scientist.

"We like to think back then we made some contribution to the ending of the Cold War with the Star Wars program," Dr. Kare said. "Now we're just trying to make a dent in a war that's actually gone on a lot longer and claimed a lot more lives."

The only problem now is calibrating it so that the lasers can turn the buzzing pests into smoking corpses without endangering other wildlife, especially the human variety; according to tests the laser is powerful enough to zap mosquitos while leaving butterflies unharmed.

In a demonstration, the machine itself was so sensitive that it could tell male mosquitos from female mosquitos (from the wingbeat), which is vital as it's only the female mosquito that can pass malaria.

"If you really were a purist, you could only kill the females, not the males," Myhrvold said. But since they're mosquitoes, he says, he'll probably "just slay them all."

Source: The Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123680870885500701.html] via Slashdot [http://slashdot.org/]
(Image) [http://www.flickr.com/photos/jurvetson/3253321587/]

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I'm interested to see how they actually plan on implementing it. Laser blasting mozzies seems like an interesting plan but the practicalities? I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

-IT-

Feb 5, 2008
How do they plan to fire the laser in a dense jungle, they need hundreds of these devices if they plan to eradicate all mosquito's in a few square miles . . . sound unpractical to me.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
So if they can fire a laser to take out individual mosquitoes what's to stop someone configuring it to take out humans oh the possibilities. For what can protect you from orbital laser striking

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
galletea said:
I'm interested to see how they actually plan on implementing it. Laser blasting mozzies seems like an interesting plan but the practicalities? I'm not so sure it's a good idea.
This is my thought. The practicality of this is a major issue. However, it is the COOLEST anti-mosquito weapon I've seen yet.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I hate mosquitoes. Anything detrimental to them, I'm all for. Is the ultimate goal of this project to just eliminate all mosquitoes from the face of the earth? A noble goal, surely, but is it attainable?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
It's a rather noble goal but I'm not sure if they're going the right way with it.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
As much as I hate the little fuckers, I don't see how eradicating the species sounds like a good idea. I know that's not what they are discussing here, but if you only kill all the females, then what will happen to their population, and the population of other animals that eat them?

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Please god say that it is a tiny model of the Death Star, that would make my day.
But I do question the morality and arrogance of mankind when we talk about killing species like this, I know its only a mosquito but even mosquito's have their place in the eco-system.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
hey we screwed up the earth beyond repair what another species on the extinct list especially one as annoying as mosquito's as would buy one of theses things if ever came on the market and fit one in my garden and bedroom in summer, as a wood backs onto garden with a stream so we get eaten alive by the little fuckers :X .

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Guys, let's keep it real here... they're talking bug lamps, not Death Stars. There's no way they'd eradicate all mosquitos with this, but these (along with mosquito nets) can keep people's homes clear of biting mosquitos and that's a big step to solving the malaria issue right there.

I don't think this'll lead to an extinction event... it'll just keep mossies noshing on their natural prey instead of us humans.

-- Steve

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Aren't mosquito's essential to the ecosystem in some way? Sure they are annoying , but isn't bug spray enough?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Wow.

And I'm guessing PETA is too busy bitching to meat-eaters about the evils of eating a cow to prevent the genocide of the mosquitos.

I lol'd.

*EDIT*

Holy hell, what a waste of a 1000th post.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Shooting mosquitos with orbital* lasers? That even outdoes the Monty Python sketch where they use a bazooka. The only way to up the ante now is with MIRV nukes.

And fittingly, Schlock Mercenary [http://www.schlockmercenary.com/] reports that they actually have a Rule 37 poster on the wall ("There is no 'overkill', there is only 'open fire' and 'Time to reload.'").

*=Yeah, I know these lasers aren't orbital but Star Wars was meant to be AFAIK so it evens out :p.