Happy 10th, EverQuest

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Happy 10th, EverQuest

SOE's first blockbuster MMORPG, EverQuest, celebrated its tenth anniversary yesterday - ten years of PKing, training to zone, phat lewts, and all that other fun MMO stuff.

It's hard to imagine a MMO space without uber-juggernaut World of Warcraft, but nevertheless, MMOs did indeed exist before WoW. While it might not have been the first of its kind - preceded by games like Ultima Online and Meridian 59 - EverQuest was the first real breakthrough MMO, the one that first brought the genre to public notice. UO might have been Wolfenstein 3D, but EQ was Doom - the game that set a standard for the genre that is still being followed today.

In a world before WoW, "EverCrack" was once the big man on campus until its reign was challenged by Final Fantasy XI. Though it may not be as popular or as big as it once was, EQ is still chugging along, releasing its fifteenth expansion pack, Seeds of Destruction, last October.

John Smedley, the boss of San Diego-based Sony Online Entertainment, called the anniversary "a major milestone for SOE and the entire interactive entertainment industry," and praised the EQ loyalists, saying that the brand's success was entirely due to them. Of course, saying that a brand's popularity was due to people liking it ... feels kind of obvious if you think about it.

Smedley told Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/a-decade-everquest] that development for the game had started thirteen years ago, back in the foggy past of 1996, and after three years under construction, EQ launched on March 16, 1999. To put the scale of EQ in a different light, SOE offered up some figures:

[blockquote] * There are over 12 million player-created characters in the game.
* Over 1 million NPCs populate EverQuest.
* There are 350 square miles of environments explorable in the game.
* Over 10 quadrillion bytes of EverQuest data have left the SOE network in the past ten years.
* The heaviest hours of operation for EverQuest are from 3 p.m. PST to 11 p.m. PST, with the biggest days being Thursday and Sunday.
* There are about 2,500 pairs of pants in-game.
[/blockquote]

Our sister site official site [http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/5853-10-Years-of-Everquest-Our-Interview-with-Lydia-Pope] for the anniversary themselves.

Grats on dinging 10, EQ. Now go kill ten more squirrels.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you dear Evercrack, Happy Birthday to you!

I think I know what wish they will be asking when they blow out the candles.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This is quite an impressive feat for an MMO, at least to be supported for this long. Good job EverQuest!

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
I used to play it, and yesterday I got to talking with my brother about it. I now have a sudden urge to reactivate my account, but I can't remember what it was.

Feb 13, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
MaxTheReaper said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
...13,000,000 characters with 2500 pairs of pants between them?
Try going into Neriak sometime ;)
Is that the EQ equivalent (c wut i did thar) of Goldshire?
More like Darnassus, but if you can imagine Ogre/Troll women in thongs as well as the Night Elves.
Well, I meant more the attitude that goes along with the place. Goldshire is rather...infamous.
And honestly? I'd really, really rather not.
Oh, Neriak has that as well. Especially with the Ratonga's in EQ2. And a clickable Christoper Lee monologue. But seeing a lapdancing Ogre really scars itself onto your retinas.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Flap Jack452 said:
I used to play it, and yesterday I got to talking with my brother about it. I now have a sudden urge to reactivate my account, but I can't remember what it was.
You're like an ex-alcoholic saying, "Ah, one bottle of scotch won't hurt..."
I don't have a problem, I SWEAR!!1ONE