BioWare Makes It Official: Mass Effect 2 in 2010

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Makes It Official: Mass Effect 2 in 2010

This may come as a surprise but despite all the noise that's been made about it, BioWare [BioWare] has never actually made an official announcement about Mass Effect 2 - until now.

The existence of Mass Effect 2 is no secret. In January it was teaser trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88528-Mass-Effect-2-In-The-Works] since late February, implying that despite the defeat of the greatest threat to galactic civilization since the last one, all is not well with Commander Shepard and his intrepid alien goon squad.

Yet it is only today that BioWare has made the official announcement that Mass Effect 2 is, in fact, in the pipe. The second part of the star-spanning RPG trilogy sees humanity facing off against an "even greater peril" than Saren's Geth legions while it continues to seek its place among the races of the galaxy.

"We're going to surpass the extraordinary gaming experience we brought our fans in Mass Effect by delivering intensified combat and expanded weapon options as well as increased depth of planet exploration, all while delivering a powerful, emotionally engaging story," said BioWare Co-Founder Dr. Ray Muzyka. "Mass Effect 2 is shaping up to be an unforgettable RPG-shooter experience, taking players on a non-stop roller-coaster ride filled with stunning plot twists and no-holds-barred action."

New weapon options and "intensified" combat doesn't do much to ring my bell but the promise of improved exploration most certainly does. Mass Effect was an outstanding RPG that was marred only by its surprisingly weak side quests and the virtual worthlessness of random planet-hopping. Most gamers saw the lack of depth outside the main storyline as a minor quibble but for hardcore side-questers looking for some Starflight [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight]-style exploration it was a real letdown.

While PC gamers had to wait six months longer to play the original game than their Xbox 360 [http://www.xbox.com] counterparts (a wait that was, by all reports, worthwhile), Mass Effect 2 will apparently be released for both platforms at or around the same time: BioWare has scheduled the game for release on both systems in early 2010.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm still confused on the platforms being released on it, but I hope it'll be on PS3 at least eventually. Either that or I hope my PC will be upgraded enough to play Mass Effect 2 on PC (really crappy compy)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.... especially with the ability to install the game to hard disc and speed up those loading screens elevator rides. And new side quests. And extending character support to ones you've already advanced in the first game.

I'm very, very eagerly awaiting this. BioWare can count on my money.

-- Steve

Jul 9, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Cool, I really hope they can make good improvements on this. Some stuff I'd like to see are more races and better friendly AI.
I don't necessarily want want more races, I just want to know more about the existing ones, maybe visit some home worlds.

Anyway, just look at my avatar. Does anyone really think I won't get this?

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
orannis62 said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Cool, I really hope they can make good improvements on this. Some stuff I'd like to see are more races and better friendly AI.
I don't necessarily want want more races, I just want to know more about the existing ones, maybe visit some home worlds.

I know I will. I'm glad that they are aiming towards improving some of the less-than-stellar bits. "Intensified" combat piques my interest, as I feel that Mass Effect had something going for it there. Better planet exploration is also a plus.

I do hope for some alien home planets, more interaction with your teammates (please, let Garrus be there), and of course, an incredible story.

EDiT: @ssgt splatter, FOX won't be able to get away with pulling that bull again. I can imagine somebody getting up in arms about mentions of evolution. But then again, that'd require them to actually play the game.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Sounds pretty good, without a doubt there's some true greatness being made here. They can count on my money for sure.

Jul 9, 2008
RebelRising said:
orannis62 said:
NoMoreSanity said:

I know I will. I'm glad that they are aiming towards improving some of the less-than-stellar bits. "Intensified" combat piques my interest, as I feel that Mass Effect had something going for it there. Better planet exploration is also a plus.

I do hope for some alien home planets, more interaction with your teammates (please, let Garrus be there), and of course, an incredible story.

EDiT: @ssgt splatter, FOX won't be able to get away with pulling that bull again. I can imagine somebody getting up in arms about mentions of evolution. But then again, that'd require them to actually play the game.
I'm thinking Garrus' presence will be one of the things hinging on your choices, as, if you talk with him as a Paragon, he mentions that he's going to go back to C-SEC. He also said he'd re-apply for Spectre training though (why's it so easy for him but not Shepard?), so it could go either way.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Good. Far more hopeful for this than bioshock 2, ecpecially after the cocktease trailer they released.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Hooray! I have never played a Bioware game I didn't love, so this will be another to add to the list of awesome!

Bioware? I wuv you.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
orannis62 said:
RebelRising said:
orannis62 said:
NoMoreSanity said:

I'm thinking Garrus' presence will be one of the things hinging on your choices, as, if you talk with him as a Paragon, he mentions that he's going to go back to C-SEC. He also said he'd re-apply for Spectre training though (why's it so easy for him but not Shepard?), so it could go either way.
Well, I'm the human; we don't have it easy when it comes to integrating ourselves into the Council and its surrounding affiliates. Garrus is a Turian. It'd be easy as one-two-three, probably. Especially seeing as how he helped me save the entire galaxy. I convinced him to re-apply for Spectre every time.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Not surprised. Take your time Bioware, I'm not in any rush. I'm excited, but the longer I wait, the more I'll enjoy it!

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
...if I have to drive that goddamn Mako-thing again I will freakin' smash something.

Jul 9, 2008
Eruanno said:
...if I have to drive that goddamn Mako-thing again I will freakin' smash something.
Given all the complaints, I bet they've improved it. I didn't think it was that bad anyway.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Awesome! I can't wait for this one to come out. I loved the first one and I'm excited about the "increased depth of planet exploration." Hopefully they will fix that stupid sniper rifle with the next game.

Jul 9, 2008
Brokkr said:
Awesome! I can't wait for this one to come out. I loved the first one and I'm excited about the "increased depth of planet exploration." Hopefully they will fix that stupid sniper rifle with the next game.
Agreed. I shouldn't have to fill every point slot in the Sniper Rifle skill and pray in order to hit someone.