Original Diablo Dev Talks Diablo 3 Art

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Original Diablo Dev Talks Diablo 3 Art

Bill Roper [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Roper_(video_game_producer)], one of the key figures behind the original Diablo games and, more recently, Hellgate: London, isn't really sure what to think about Diablo III's somewhat controversial art style, which he doesn't think really screams "Diablo."

Roper, who, after Hellgate: London [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87042-Hellgate-London-Servers-Shutting-Down] and Flagship Studios' dissolution, has moved onto Cryptic Studios to work on Champions Online, was one of the key figures behind the first two Diablo games, having served as Vice President at Diablo I and II dev Blizzard North. Being someone deeply attached to the gothic-to-the-core Diablos of yore, Roper has some issues with the more painterly style Blizzard has gone with for the company's latest loot-centric clickfest.

"I didn't look at it and go, oh my God that's horrible," Roper told VideoGamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/diablo_3_what_bill_roper_thinks.html]. "But I looked at it and went, it's not really... to me as a player it just didn't really ring with Diablo."

Roper sees Diablo III as very much the product of the Blizzard Irvine school of art direction, which pursued a bigger and brighter art style in its Warcraft games while Blizzard North's titles took a darker and grittier tone. "I was like, that looks like Blizzard," Roper said. "The guys in Irvine. That's what it looks like to me. Their interpretation of it."

The initial reveal of Diablo III was met with a not insignificant degree of responded [http://i44.tinypic.com/f3wc40.jpg] to the uproar, arguing in favor of the style's design utility and saying that Diablo was never as dark as people thought.

Roper, however, sounds like he's on the fans' side. "You know, I liked the darker grittier," he said. "I liked the differences in art style, to be honest. So, I think I would personally from a player standpoint prefer that." For him, the new art just doesn't convey the same spirit as the older games. "I think that one of the things that we always tried to get across was that Diablo was Gothic fantasy and I think there was just a need that was put in there from the visuals that I didn't necessarily get [in Diablo III]. I got it from the architecture and to a degree from the character design but not the feeling of the world."

As a pretty hardcore Diablo fan, I can say that I know where Roper's coming from, but I don't really have too big of a problem with DIII's art. I mean, I wear this super-cute Diablo III shirt [http://www.nerdyshirts.com/diablo-iii.html?SID=03ov+b5a3jkNRBkKiJLjv+7iOJIyXKYCN5uyHhxPkoY=] in public with pride.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I have been saying this all along... if the colors aren't bright they arent Blizzard.

I mean this guy knows what he's talking about and I agree with him! Hire some outside people for your art for the love of god!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
This again? Are people forgetting how colourfull D2 is? Do I need to post every single screenshot I posted in the other thread? The diference betewen D2 and D3 is that D2 uses 16 bit colour pallete and D3 a 32 bit colour pallete.Also that man needs to shut cause Hellgate:London has fail all written over it. :p

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I also know where Roper is coming from. I don't mind a sense of light or environmental areas that are lush and green, but the whole gothic appeal seemed to be somehow missing.
I haven't played it yet, so I don't know for sure but it seems to lack the scary athmosphere from the first 2 games.

I can still remember being scared like hell with bosses like the Butcher in Diablo 1, the screenshots and bosses don't seem to have a similar appeal in D3.

That shirt is brilliant

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ula said:
That shirt is so cute, I want one.
Unfortunately Blizzard sent its lawyers to the company making the shirts, which were TECHNICALLY unlicensed, and they can't make any more. Good thing I pre-ordered one before they even went on sale!

I have a feeling Blizz will print some of its own. The design was a carbon copy of the shirts that the Blizz dudes were wearing at Blizzcon last year, except those were pink instead of baby blue, which makes them even better.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Keane Ng said:
Ula said:
Unfortunately Blizzard sent its lawyers to the company making the shirts, which were TECHNICALLY unlicensed, and they can't make any more. Good thing I got one before they even went on sale!

I have a feeling Blizz will print some of its own. The design was a carbon copy of the shirts that the Blizz dudes were wearing at Blizzcon last year, except those were pink instead of baby blue, which makes them even better.
I begged Jay Wilson. He told me no :(

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Keane Ng said:
Ula said:
Unfortunately Blizzard sent its lawyers to the company making the shirts, which were TECHNICALLY unlicensed, and they can't make any more. Good thing I got one before they even went on sale!

Aaw, not fair.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I for one prefer this version:

I think it represents the spirit of Diablo much better than the Shirt version.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
oliveira8 said:
This again? Are people forgetting how colourfull D2 is? Do I need to post every single screenshot I posted in the other thread? The diference betewen D2 and D3 is that D2 uses 16 bit colour pallete and D3 a 32 bit colour pallete.Also that man needs to shut cause Hellgate:London has fail all written over it. :p
Agreed. People just like something to whine about, I suppose.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Considering we've barely seen anything from the game besides a few videos I think it's way too early to be saying much, and either way if they don't change the gameplay too much and give us a bigger and better Diablo II I'd be more than happy. I mean just looking at the videos you can see that the main idea of:

Explore area, kill monsters, gain new items, gain levels, party with other players, become a stat whore are still all there. It just looks more up to date.

Personally I can't wait considering the absolutely ridiculous amount of time I've put into Diablo II. It's a Blizzard game and it will be quality to the people who've enjoyed their past games.

theklng

May 1, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
unrelated, i just remember you told me the other day that ben boos had a different opinion of the game. it's funny that opinions divide even among the blizzard north staff. i'm wondering whether the devs at irvine actually have split opinions on the art direction as well.

that being said, in the discussion of art direction nobody is right, and sadly, nobody wins.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Keane Ng said:
Ula said:

Haha, I asked him too when I was there, and he said the same thing. Jay Wilson is a big ol meanie!!!

Then again, why go through so much effort to shut down NerdyShirts' operation if they weren't planning on making their own shirts...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
pyromcr said:
wait, is that actually the art work???!!!
No. Its a Blizzard joke. People were complaining about the rainbow that shows up in the first gameplay video, and went extreme.

So blizzard made that logo to make fun of them.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
I didn't get Gothic horror from Diablo II. I got Gothic horror from the original; it all takes place in one village, with this church that descends into Hell...yeah, that's Gothic. I consider the second one your typical epic fantasy, with darker elements mixed in, but not the focus.

I get the same vibe from the screens posted from the third game: epic fantasy, some darker elements, not really horror-centric.

In other words, I'm good. Just now let the game come out soon seeing that I'm putting together a PC almost exclusively to play it (gaming on a Macbook--or any laptop--exclusively=fail).

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
level250geek said:
I didn't get Gothic horror from Diablo II. I got Gothic horror from the original; it all takes place in one village, with this church that descends into Hell...yeah, that's Gothic. I consider the second one your typical epic fantasy, with darker elements mixed in, but not the focus.

I get the same vibe from the screens posted from the third game: epic fantasy, some darker elements, not really horror-centric.

In other words, I'm good. Just now let the game come out soon seeing that I'm putting together a PC almost exclusively to play it (gaming on a Macbook--or any laptop--exclusively=fail).
Also most of D1 and D2 creppy terror fellings came from actually PLAYING the game and not watching static game shots or a a video with someone talking over it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Keane Ng said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Keane Ng said:
Ula said:

Haha, I asked him too when I was there, and he said the same thing. Jay Wilson is a big ol meanie!!!

Then again, why go through so much effort to shut down NerdyShirts' operation if they weren't planning on making their own shirts...
...you were at Blizzcon, dude? We coulda hung out :(

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Tenmar said:
Just remember everyone that we had to fight blue, green and I dare say pink monsters in Diablo 1 and 2. I will agree that the movement away from dungeons towards being outdoors in more grassland settings yet not defiled is what sets people off. I'm sure the game will be fine in terms of art direction but I do question how "dark" or gothic they are going especially when the end of the world is supposed to happen.
The Tristam level that was open to play on last Blizzcon had its fair level of dark mood.