New Used Games Marketplace Aims High

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
New Used Games Marketplace Aims High

SwitchGames [http://switchgames.com/index.php], a new site for trading and buying/selling games, doesn't just want to compete with its rivals in the used games market. It wants to change the entire face of the games industry.

"It's a greater movement, this shifting of power," SwitchGames founder and CEO Jason Crawford said of his site, a new face in the suddenly competitive Toys R Us [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/used+games] have announced plans to try their hands at the business.

The "shifting of power" that Crawford is talking about is what he sees as his site's advantage over its big-name competitors. Instead of acting as an outlet for buying and selling used games, SwitchGames figures itself as an open and, moreover, safe marketplace for gamers to do their own business. "Gamers don't perceive their games as equity," Crawford said, explaining that gamers see games more like movie tickets with one-time prices than like houses, which they can buy, sell and leverage the worth of.

So, your copy of Saints Row 2 can be like a house. On the site you can put it up for trading, and, eventually, buying and selling. The process is straightforward - you just list the games you have and the ones you want. Then you make trades, which the site can match for you or which you can arrange for yourself. You can trade multiple games for single ones, and vice versa.

Signing up is free, as are the site's social networking and community features and of course the actual trading, but if you pony up a few bucks, SwitchGames will make sure your exchange is extra-safe: instead of the traded games going directly into the postal service and risking getting lost, they'll go to SwitchGames, who will check out the condition of the games and make sure there's no funny business going on before sending them along their way.

Anyone who's ever gotten scammed on eBay or Craigslist (me) should be relieved to hear that the company's taking extra measures to make sure you don't get screwed. Indeed, "safety" is one of the key words for Crawford and his team.

As for the controversial [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89904-David-Jaffe-Used-Game-Issue-is-None-of-the-Consumers-Business] issue of used games themselves, which publishers and developers have frequently argued cut game makers off from due profits and only serve to fatten retailers' pockets, SwitchGames has its own shot at an answer. When you buy/sell a game on the site, you can choose to make out a portion of the cash to the publisher. According to Crawford, publishers have been receptive of the idea if a bit skeptical.

For Crawford, the site is an "end-to-end solution for the industry." That could be true, and it is no doubt an interesting project. Not to mention it's nice to see a new and independently-minded face among all the big corporate ones. Whether it'll catch on or not, only time will tell.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
This is a really good idea. I'm surprised no-one took advantage of it before now actually, as it's based around an older barter system than retail. Definitely signing up.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Good to see another player in this niche market, should keep things nice and competitive, the winner in the end being the consumers...

But I don't think that the option to donate profits to publishers will catch on, that's a silly idea if you ask me.....

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Awesome! I might check it out. At last, I will be rid of Lego Star Wars! And for (hopefully) more than $3!!!

That might be a bit too optimistic, though.

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
I hope they have some kind of policy on PC games. I don't want to get ****ed out of my money because of a bad DRM scheme.

Edit: I tried signing up. They don't have an option for me to select that I'm Canadian.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
So this is basically like your friend having a game you want, and you have a game your friend wants, so you switch games for a bit for no cost?

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but if that's true that that's awesome! I'll probably not use this though, but (if what I said is correct) this is awesome.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Jumplion said:
So this is basically like your friend having a game you want, and you have a game your friend wants, so you switch games for a bit for no cost?

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but if that's true that that's awesome! I'll probably not use this though, but (if what I said is correct) this is awesome.
Well, you don't just let the other person borrow it, you trade games, for keeps. And yeah, you can trade for free, but if you want to do the thing where you sent it to the company and they check things out to make sure it's kosher, it costs a few bucks (need to check exact amount).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Jumplion said:

Well, you don't just let the other person borrow it, you trade games, for keeps. And yeah, you can trade for free, but if you want to do the thing where you sent it to the company and they check things out to make sure it's kosher, it costs a few bucks (need to check exact amount).
I find that so fitting considering I'm jewish.

Have a cookie (a KOSHER one :D)

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Jumplion said:
Keane Ng said:
Jumplion said:

Alright, a "Safe Trade," as SwitchGames calls it, costs $6.95, not bad, especially considering that the site will pay for your postage when you do a safe trade.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Jumplion said:
Keane Ng said:
Jumplion said:

Alright, a "Safe Trade," as SwitchGames calls it, costs $6.95, not bad, especially considering that the site will pay for your postage when you do a safe trade.
Though, if you can just trade with them for next to no cost, why would anyone buy/sell?