MMO Granted Real-World Banking License

Feb 13, 2008
MMO Granted Real-World Banking License

While some players trade in-game money for real money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90315-30-Percent-of-MMOG-Players-Buy-Gold], players in Entropia Universe [http://www.entropiauniverse.com/entropiauniverse/] are now able to trade in real money after the Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority granted it a license to act like a real bank.

At the current economic climate, $1 will convert directly into 10 PED (Project Entropia Dollars) and, unlike other MMOs, which can be used to pay for most of the ingame items such as guns, armor or whatever else you'll need. The game itself has no monthly fee.

A real benefit of this new change is that your transactions will be protected as if they were at your local bank, with up to $60,000 being protected by deposit insurance.

Regulators will oversee both in-game and out-of-game transactions, so cheaters and launderers will be spotted and passed to the real world police.

"We will be in a position to offer real bank services to the inhabitants of our virtual universe," said Jan Welter Timkrans, head of MindArk [http://www.mindark.com/], the parent company of Entropia Universe. Even as far as paying your salary/pocket money directly to your character.

If this sounds like a crazy idea, consider the actions of Jon "Neverdie" Jacobs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Jacobs_(online_personality)]. According to Wikipedia, he mortgaged his real life house to purchase an online asteroid for $100,000. The very next day he was offered double that price. If that wasn't enough, he announced profits of $100,000 from Club NEVERDIE in August 2006. The Club is only a small part of the asteroid.

The game itself is set far in the future, on the distant world of Calypso, with two continents and two space stations to explore (as well as some asteroids), as your colonists develop the untamed land.

Source: BBC Tech [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7954629.stm]

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
This is simultainiously awesome and disturbing. Some guy made $100,000 in a video game, in one day.

*downloads*

Intoxicain

Mar 18, 2009
This sounds like it'll be a good economic opportunity for the first few people to take advantage of it, although, it might be safe to say that the people who will be the kings of this new market are already in place, especially given the 1ook made already. I can't see this ending any other way that massive wave of gross inflation that will render everything unplayable, but the rate of time it takes for it to reach such a conclusion will be interesting to note. Perhaps an enterprising economics student could parlay such a study into his thesis work and allow himself (or herself) a legitimate video-game based course of study, allowing him to casually read into this game, play his favorite video-game, and come out ahead. :D

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Didn't Second Life do this years ago with the Linden Dollar?

But it does look good.

Feb 13, 2008
Nimbus said:
This is simultainiously awesome and disturbing. Some guy made $100,000 in a video game, in one day.

*downloads*
Could have made. He didn't sell the asteroid and has already made his money back on top of that.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Uh oh. I recall hearing about Entropia's little plans a while back, and I thought it sounded like a really unwise idea then. Now that they're actually going ahead with it legally, I'm just as unnerved. The Western economies are already shuttering because we've traded stable manufacturing-based systems for paper-trading games that crumple as easily as one of the sheets of paper they're based on (case in point: subprime market collapses, housing prices fall, investments based on housing prices lose money, banks fail, credit market freezes, companies relying on the credit go bankrupt, we lose jobs, government loses tax revenue but is forced to offer stimulus on the back of foreign bonds, China buys up even more of the world, eventually consumes us all).

My fears of Chinese conquest aside (Chinese conquest ala robots), allowing people to trade real currency for the virtual images representing lines of code just seems hugely irresponsible. Yes, I know the claim is that the money is going for entertainment, so it's just like buying a DVD. And maybe that's a valid point at low-level exchanges.

But $100,000 for a fake asteroid? And he's collecting massive revenue so people can pretend they're in a space bar? If they want to pay him to virtually walk around a forum, I guess that's their problem. But something about this whole thing just seems dangerous and stupid.

Maybe I'm just old. And racist against Chinese robots. You hippies, with your loud music and Internet 2.0! Back in my day we had midi loops and moving jpegs, and we were HAPPY to have them! Ungrateful punks...

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
The actual "value" of physical money is purely theoretical anyway, so as far as I'm concerned, more power to'em.

DaMunky89

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, except from what I've heard you have to work like you're in a sweatshop if you want to make money in that game.

Example, and a common complaint about this game: The ammo to kill a monster costs more than the PED you find on said monster.

Feb 13, 2008
DaMunky89 said:
Yeah, except from what I've heard you have to work like you're in a sweatshop if you want to make money in that game.

Example, and a common complaint about this game: The ammo to kill a monster costs more than the PED you find on said monster.
Yeah. You all stay away from this horrible nasty [small]profitable[/small] game. :)