It's A Trap!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
It's A Trap!

Dedicated Lego and Star Wars fan Thomas Benedikt has created the Holy Grail of Lego Star Wars models, Admiral Ackbar's flagship Home One.

The whole process took 11 months from start to finish, and the resulting model is just under seven feet long and built to scale with the official Lego Star Destroyer. Benedikt used a program called LDraw [http://www.ldraw.org/], a CAD program designed with Lego bricks in mind, to design the model, but found the actual construction to be more than a little troublesome.

The model is made up of over 30,000 bricks, weighs 52lbs, and cost a bank breaking $5,500! What is even more remarkable about the model though, and what made it so difficult to build, is that it contains no right angles, quite a feat considering the somewhat rectangular nature of Lego. Benedikt's desire to include a system of internal lighting made the build much more difficult. He tried a variety of techniques before discovering one that worked, attaching transparent studs to hinges to allow the light to shine through.

Some people might argue that this is an act of obsession, but I'm not listening to them because the model is freaking awesome. A detailed description of its creation, as well as some larger images, can be found here [http://new.mocpages.com/moc.php/105030].

Source: via Gizmodo [http://i.gizmodo.com/5177817/52+pound-lego-mon-calamari-star-cruiser-can-kill-darth-vader-on-impact]

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I always love it when I see what people can do with LEGOs. They never cease to amaze me.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Holy crap! Seven feet long!... that's what she said..

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
The is no shortness of of awesome in what this guy has done.

If I had the time I would try to do something similar, unfornatly I spend far too much time trying to rectify my awful grammar (and failing) on the internet to have any time for such awesome.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Kukul said:
Dude has a nice carpet.
My guess is that he still lives with his mom :D
And the model is well... somewhat impressive, but kind of boring. You could make something way cooler with all that time and money.
such as?, what would you make?
I used to make working Transformers with my lego and mecanno sets, my fav was Bumblebee, surprissingly diffucult to do, but I love him ( i even screamed and cried when he was hurt in the feature film by Michael Bay), yeah i'm sad.

and who cares if he lives with his mum, the dude has a lego "home one" commandered by admiral ackbar, the bitches love admiral ackbar.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
That is impressive but 5000! come on i never knew Lego was that expensive

Meta Like That

Jan 30, 2009
You should be more descriptive in your article headings. I actually thought this was a trap.

But this is pretty badass.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Everyone loves a good Lego Megaproject.

I think my favourites are the to-scale CVN with interior hangar full of F-18s and Space Battleship Yamato.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
I want one of those. So that I can smack it on the head of people. Yeah, I think it's cool. But I also think this git needs to get a life.

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
[zonking great said:
]I want one of those. So that I can smack it on the head of people. Yeah, I think it's cool. But I also think this git needs to get a life.
To everyone who think like this ...

What IS "life" for you ?
Probably this Thomas Benedikt felt more alive than you ever could when he finished his lego spaceship.

Everyone enjoy life the way they want,
mature a bit and learn to accept that others have different tastes.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009

This news made me wanna pick up my old Legos...then I remenbered I dont have any. :(