Lionhead Working On Non-Fable Games?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Lionhead Working On Non-Fable Games?

Peter Molyneux's studio is currently busy churning out Fable II DLC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88626-Fable-2-Knothole-Island-DLC-Released], but the company's also looking beyond Albion to what Molyneux has called "other innovational titles."

Though Develop [http://www.lionhead.com/].

Sounds like Molyneux and crew are working on something that isn't Fable, though he's coy about telling us exactly how many somethings he's got in the works. "We're working on Fable things - we've just done the DLC and we are working on other stuff," he said. "But we're also working on other innovational titles - and I'm not going to say title or titles, whether it's a prototype or experiment, whether it's near or far away - but I can say that what we're always trying to do is create something that is meaningful."

For Molyneux, the key is delivering a new and innovative experience. As he put it, Lionhead only trucks in "landmark titles," and Lionhead "tries to stand for innovation and to give people things that they perhaps might not have expected or imagined. That's very important to us."

So I guess we can scratch Black and White 3: Blacker and Whiter off the list. Molyneux and Lionhead will be in attendance at this week's Game Developers Conference, so we might hear word about the new project(s) soon enough.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I've heard of this awhile back. Back when I had faith in Lionhead and was on their forums there was rumor going round of a game that honestly sounded just like the Sims to me. Maybe it became the "life simulator" part of Fable 1 & 2 or maybe it's what they're working on. Honestly I have no idea.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I was reading...not sure if it was OXM or Game Informer he said he was gonna work on a game called Dimitri.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
ae86gamer said:
I was reading...not sure if it was OXM or Game Informer he said he was gonna work on a game called Dimitri.
I'm pretty sure that was it. From what was rumored it was a game where you played someones life from start to finish. Now where have I heard that before...

Wasn't there a little game called Fable that did something similar?

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
Lord_Ascendant said:
heh wonder whats next from the "lordgrandhighexaltedpoobah"
maybe we will actually be able to grow a tree this time after the 3rth try :p

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
He should make a game where the whole concept is hype...now THAT would be his best work

(Spiritual Sequal to Fable then?)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Well, I guess that means I'mma have to go their website and sign up for a week of unpaid game testing.

They let you play secret projects still in development if you can afford to skip off to Guildford in Surrey for a week for no money.

To be honest I might just go for it one day... I mean if you're interested in other departments they give you tours and stuff of those departments, so I could even express my interest in Concept art :D

why have I NOT done this yet?

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
I wish that they'd resume development on B.C. I was seriously bummed when they shelved that project......

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Archemetis said:
Well, I guess that means I'mma have to go their website and sign up for a week of unpaid game testing.

They let you play secret projects still in development if you can afford to skip off to Guildford in Surrey for a week for no money.

To be honest I might just go for it one day... I mean if you're interested in other departments they give you tours and stuff of those departments, so I could even express my interest in Concept art :D

Because It's Peter Molyneaux. Do you really want to work for that man/demon/chtulu?
In the article he refers to other "Innovational Titles".
This clearly means he thinks that Fable was a game that revolutionized Action RPGS (and if he doesn't think it, he sure talks like it).
Sure, Fable was good, but it was hardly the holy grail of any genre of gaming.
I think Molyneaux should move his head from out of his arse, and stop rehashing old material.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I hope it's science fiction. That way, once you're slicing through mercenary scum with your Plasma Inductor, you'll be able to get some cash from them and not have to serve up acidic frothy scum in an alien cantina between missions.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Daedalus1942 said:
Archemetis said:

Because It's Peter Molyneaux. Do you really want to work for that man/demon/chtulu?
In the article he refers to other "Innovational Titles".
This clearly means he thinks that Fable was a game that revolutionized Action RPGS (and if he doesn't think it, he sure talks like it).
Sure, Fable was good, but it was hardly the holy grail of any genre of gaming.
I think Molyneaux should move his head from out of his arse, and stop rehashing old material.
Can't blame a man for believing in the work that he and his team create.

I'd hate think what a game would be like if the developers had next to no love for even the basic concept.

Sure he over-steps the mark more often than not when he opens his mouth and starts talking about his games, He's enthusiastic about his games and his vision for games to reach out on a more personal level.

Admtitedly none of his games have done that for me, and like i said, I'm a Lionhead fanboy(of sorts).

But I guess it's that enthusiasm that he... exudes that keeps me interested, I know it's a stupid choice on my part, what with his long-standing record for potential disapointment, but despite that I've enjoyed his games.
(I even have mint copy of Populus sitting on my shelf)

So I guess that's why I'd go a volunteer (that's right, you dont get payed for it) to be a games tester for Lionhead.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
wonder what will happen, i think it will be a game that he hypes up a lot and ends up falling short of what he promised.

he makes good games but there's always something wrong with them

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
"Innovational" isn't a word, is it? I'm sure it's not. It should be "innovative", right?

Still, it's always good to hear that game developers have lots of ideas for developing games.