FileFront Closing Down

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
FileFront Closing Down

FileFront [http://www.filefront.com], one of the most popular file distribution sites on the net, has announced that it will be closing down at the end of the month.

Launched in December 2001, FileFront was a popular destination for gamers looking for patches, mods, demos, videos and other game-related content and also hosted a wide range of other software, including drivers, internet software, audio-video packages and much more. But the site's future became uncertain when struggles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88486-EGM-Laid-to-Rest-1UP-Sold-to-Hearst] cast doubt on how long it could afford to keep things going.

"We regret to inform you that due to the current economic conditions we are forced to indefinitely suspend the FileFront site operations on March 30, 2009," FileFront management wrote in a message posted at farewell.filefront.com [http://farewell.filefront.com/]. "If you have uploaded files, images or posted blogs, or if you would like to download some of your favorite files, please take this opportunity to download them before March 30th when the site will be suspended."

"We would like to give a warm thank you to all of you who have been part of the FileFront communities we have built together," the message continues. "Your support has had a meaningful impact for all of us here at FileFront. Again, we want to give you a sincere "thank you" for your support over the years and wish you all the very best."

While the message refers to it as a "suspension" and not an outright shutdown, there's not much in the farewell that offers hope for the future. Maybe we'll get lucky but with the economy continuing to stumble and companies desperately seeking new sources of revenue, the odds of seeing the FileFront we know and love make a comeback seem mighty slim.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Oh my goodness. Think of all those hard to find mods that don't exist anywhere else because their creators built them four years ago, put them on FileFront and then forgot about them... gone, gone forever.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
What?!?! gone?!?! it can't be...noooo it cant be! So many useful lost mods to be found. When it goes down the drain I Beat 50% of the mods that are ont he site will become extinct.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
WHAT?!?!

Aw, sonofabitch this sucks! That's my favorite site to find stuff...

Gah, now I'm pissed.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Okay, who owns a supercomputer and would like to download every mod for every game? for everybody I'll pay you $20.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
I don't understand. How is possibly one of the most convienient and successful companies suffering econmoically while these other sites stay afloat?

I really am not one to download much, but I genuinely feel sad that such a great site is closing. Now, whenever I would like to download something, I'll have to register and sift through hundreds of ads...

Oh. Did I just answer my own question?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Say Anything said:
I don't understand. How is possibly one of the most convienient and successful companies suffering econmoically while these other sites stay afloat?

I really am not one to download much, but I genuinely feel sad that such a great site is closing. Now, whenever I would like to download something, I'll have to register and sift through hundreds of ads...

Oh. Did I just answer my own question?
Yup. Filefront wasnt a cash cow so it goes down.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
This also means that popular hosted sites like HL2Files - BCFiles, and a plethora of other sites hosted on the network will go down. Filefront will be missed.

finepilot

Mar 18, 2009
It's a shame that such a successful company is closing down, but to be honest I stopped using FileFront a while ago. It timed out all the time.

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
NO!! Quake 2 Eraser bot..custom maps...CTF and Co-op! IT CAN'T BE LOST! It needs to be saved, otherwise the code will be lost forever in some old hard drive!

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Tasty Mango said:
i see april fools a coming
It ends on March 30, 2009. About a day before April Fools in Australia.

Hopefully, this is a very cruel trick.
Hopefully...

Agh, at least I downloaded the Mandalorian mod for KotOR TSL...

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Tasty Mango said:
i see april fools a coming
It ends on March 30, 2009. About a day before April Fools in Australia.

Hopefully, this is a very cruel trick.
I wish. In fact, I'm praying this is the case. I found so many good TF2 and Half Life 2 mods there.